The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uktotalgamer
Why it has been caused shouldn't need to be a question in the first place.

There is no excuse for bad behaviour, simply due to poor economic conditions, that isn't an excuse. Oh damn, I can't find a job, better smash **** up, that'll help...

This country, through easy hand outs of benefits and bad social reform has created a whole society of diminished responsibility where no one has any respect for anyone else.

Of course it shouldn't need to be questioned. We don't need to be having this discussion in the first place. However we are, and so understanding the causes for the problems you've outlined will lead to more effective measures in preventing them. Not understanding why something happens will clearly make it more difficult to solve.

How many people do that? What a bizarre comment. I fail to see people 'smashing **** up' because they can't find a job. Quite odd (Unless this is a petty reference to the riots which is another issue).

Now you're just confusing anti-social behaviour with benefit reliance. These are two seperate issues. You've just looked at a minority of society who are involved in both and blended them together.

It is not beneficial to throw about terms such as 'chav culture'. It's stinks of immaturity and ignorance. It needs to be understood that the benefit system is one issue, with it's own problems, and anti-social behaviour is another. Both require different solutions.

In essence, instead of this bland high-horse rhetoric about 'respect' and 'chavs' it would be far better to focus on the problems you've outlined as distinct issues. Ridiculing a section of society is unhelpful and immature.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 141
Original post by sevchenko
There are way more apprenticeships on offer to people who don't go to uni under the conservative government.

So lots of apprenticeships but no more jobs? Sounds like a good idea.
And do you know the minimum paying wage for an apprentice?
Original post by pandabird
So lots of apprenticeships but no more jobs? Sounds like a good idea.
And do you know the minimum paying wage for an apprentice?

Mininmun wage, apprenticeships are here so young people can learn proper skills that are valued by employers. They have to learn their trade and work their way up the ladder like everybody else
Original post by EleanorKeats
I really hope you're just a troll . The word "chav" is really offensive, it's a derogatory term.
I live in upper-middle class Surrey and everyone uses the term "chav" to describe people who live in council houses and engage in the behaviours you described. However nobody would reject these behaviours if the people in question were wealthy/
Being tough does not work and will not work. The US has some of the toughest prisons in the world and has one of the highest re-offence rates.
Most "chavs" come from rough areas, have difficult home lives and little future prospects. By labelling and insulting them you are excluding them from a society which they already feel alienated from. What they really need is good education, youth projects and financial/social support.
There is a culture in this country of using 'chavs' as a scapegoat. They were not born that way, society made them that way.
They don't stand for the working class but a majority of them come from poor working class backgrounds.
It is high time our society took a more progressive and tolerant attitude.

I'm not entirely sure why I bothered writing this as no doubt you'll disagree with me and continue to preach ignorance.

Being a chav has nothing to do with how much money you've got. It's a subculture, its the way they act and speak and dress that defines them as chavs.
Reply 144
Original post by Captain Haddock
lol you don't know what that word means, do you?

Adj. 1. pedantic - marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects
Reply 145
Original post by pandabird
Get them employed! Where to?? Maybe the Tories shouldn't have made so many cuts resulting in even more lose of jobs?

Get them employed, funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Government jobs aren't real jobs.
Original post by Livingstone
Being a chav has nothing to do with how much money you've got. It's a subculture, its the way they act and speak and dress that defines them as chavs.

It clearly does. It is a way of demeaning a particular section of society because of their culture - a section of society that is financially and socially excluded. One of the problems with the label 'chav' is that it aligns anti-social and illegal behaviour with certain types of clothing, media, activities, dialect and even where they live. They are assumed to have negative character traits because of they way they talk, how they dress and other aspects of their lifestyle. Another issue is that it assumes that that particular way of dress, speech and culture is inferior to other classes' cultures. Every class dresses and speaks like other people in their class, but it is only working class people who are judged for it so harshly. Of course not everyone in a particular class follows this code - there is always people who aspire to move socially upwards and those who actively rebel against their current class by intimidating 'lower' classes. But to deny that the label 'chav' is related to class and money is wilfully ignorant.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hothedgehog
Rinehart worked for her father's business before inheriting it on his death. She would not be able to run the very technical business without knowledge of how it works properly. Branson set up the Virgin brand from the base with some friends and grew it into what it became.

Public school education doesn't mean anything, lots of people go to public schools including "poor" (in comparison to the rest of the UK) people who go on full scholarships.

Anyway, this is wildly off topic. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't call Branson a chav!

I suggest you go read up about Rhinehart and Branson.
Original post by Redolent
Behaviour as well as a certain image, yes. Google image search "douchebag" and you'll see people with a similarly distinguishable "style" about them, but that doesn't mean "douchebag" is something other than a word to describe an annoying person.

So people who dress in a certain way, act in a certain way?
Original post by midnightice
It's the same with Mods & Rockers back in the '50s. The media have created this chav image. Fashion affiliation reinforces the general image of the individual and makes it easier to create a collective image of 'chavs'.

You been reading Stanley Cohen?
Original post by Barksy
Given that chavs actually dress like that and behave in similar ways I don't see what point you're trying to achieve other than being the usual anal leftist.

Flying defines birds. That doesn't mean you should overlook the fact they all have feathers, too.

The point I'm making is that the term "chav" has come to mean a particular way of dressing. To then say that people who dress like this are anti-social merely betrays your ignorance. Some people on my estate dress like that, they're actually very nice people.
Original post by Kibalchich
So people who dress in a certain way, act in a certain way?

Mostly act. You've already made it perfectly clear what you're getting at. I know plenty of people who dress in a chavvy way that are actually lovely people, yes.
Original post by Barksy
Government jobs aren't real jobs.

Does that apply to soldiers too?
Mostly act. You've already made it perfectly clear what you're getting at. I know plenty of people who dress in a chavvy way that are actually lovely people, yes.

So that would seem to suggest that the term "chav" is not a useful one.
So that would seem to suggest that the term "chav" is not a useful one.

As I said earlier, there don't seem to many better words for the kind of people who wait around street corners and get their kicks out of harassing people and causing a nuisance, other than something like "thug" which is too vague.
As I said earlier, there don't seem to many better words for the kind of people who wait around street corners and get their kicks out of harassing people and causing a nuisance, other than something like "thug" which is too vague.

Thug will do me. To use the word "chav" then suggests that everyone who dresses in this fashion is anti-social. Which just isn't true.
Reply 156
Original post by EleanorKeats
The US has some of the toughest prisons in the world

North Korea?
Thug will do me. To use the word "chav" then suggests that everyone who dresses in this fashion is anti-social. Which just isn't true.

I'm not sure it does suggest that, just that there is often crossover. But that interpretation is quite common.
I'm not sure it does suggest that, just that there is often crossover. But that interpretation is quite common.

Well, the fact that the term "chav" is taken to mean a particular way of dressing, I'm not sure how you can argue that it doesn't!
Well, the fact that the term "chav" is taken to mean a particular way of dressing, I'm not sure how you can argue that it doesn't!

In my experience simply dressing in a "chavvy" way is neither a necessary or sufficient condition to be outright called a "chav" by the majority of people who use the word. Maybe it is just where I live.

Latest

Trending

Trending