The Student Room Group

Extra marks in a level exams

[INDENT]Hi when I was 3 my mom died, so I moved in with my Nan. Unexpectedly she sadly passed away on 17th February 2013. This has caused big stress has not only did I live with her I have got no other family to move in with. At the moment me and my family are sorting out somewhere for me to live, but I have my exams coming up and finding it hard to study with all this going on. Would the exam bored give me so much extra marks in my exam to help me not achieve an u. Like say they would give 15 marks or would I not be entitled to some extra marks.? Thanks[/INDENT]
Reply 1
Original post by Hey you
Hi when I was 3 my mom died, so I moved in with my Nan. Unexpectedly she sadly passed away on 17th February 2013. This has caused big stress has not only did I live with her I have got no other family to move in with. At the moment me and my family are sorting out somewhere for me to live, but I have my exams coming up and finding it hard to study with all this going on. Would the exam bored give me so much extra marks in my exam to help me not achieve an u. Like say they would give 15 marks or would I not be entitled to some extra marks.? Thanks

I wasn't even aware that exam boards would EVER give out extra marks no matter what the circumstance is :/...
Reply 2
Original post by Hey you
[INDENT]Hi when I was 3 my mom died, so I moved in with my Nan. Unexpectedly she sadly passed away on 17th February 2013. This has caused big stress has not only did I live with her I have got no other family to move in with. At the moment me and my family are sorting out somewhere for me to live, but I have my exams coming up and finding it hard to study with all this going on. Would the exam bored give me so much extra marks in my exam to help me not achieve an u. Like say they would give 15 marks or would I not be entitled to some extra marks.? Thanks[/INDENT]
You've already made a thread on this, why make another? I've told you they can only award up to 5% which is perhaps the difference between a U and an E, it sucks but thats exams
Original post by SyOnGuitar
I wasn't even aware that exam boards would EVER give out extra marks no matter what the circumstance is :/...

I believe that there is special consideration, which your exam officer can enter you for, whereby you can get up to 5% extra marks.

However there are additional requirements for A-Level students

More information can be found here:
http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/files/2012-10-31-special-consideration-in-gcse-and-gce-june-2012-exam-series.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by SyOnGuitar

To put in the a level forum. The other one was not
Reply 5
awwh im sorry for your loss...
just out of interest,what exams do you have in march?are you in college,because im sure AS/A2 exams(apart from the evil EMPAS/ISA's) dont start till middle of may-june so you'v got time d.w
:bl::bl:
Original post by Hey you

I'm so sorry :frown:

I don't think you can be given extra marks, per se, but you'll probably be able to apply for extenuating circumstances.

However, I'm pretty sure this only applies if personal circumstances hinder you during the actual exam period, rather than in the run-up to the exams.
Try contacting the uni/job you want to go to. They may give you special consideration.
Reply 8
Original post by Rumaanaa
awwh im sorry for your loss...
just out of interest,what exams do you have in march?are you in college,because im sure AS/A2 exams(apart from the evil EMPAS/ISA's) dont start till middle of may-june so you'v got time d.w
:bl::bl:

Ive got to sort Out my living arrangements
Reply 9
I agree with Spiggy

Get school to contact your firm and insurance universities now, explaining the difficult circumstances that you are going through

Your head of sixth could call/email the admissions tutors

In addition, school can ask the exam boards for special consideration but that would be of less use to you
Reply 10
I am really sorry for your loss. It must be a very difficult and uncertain time for you. Hope you can manage to sort out your living arrangements asap.

Firstly, let the exam officer of your school/ college know. They will stamp each of your exam papers, so that you may be given a certain minimum of marks. ( ? 5%). comes up to 1 raw mark or 6 ums per paper.---I think

If you are in A2 , you should contact the admissions officer at the uni, or better still, ask your head teacher to do that for you. I am sure they will give consideration.
one of the girls taking GCSEs last year, lost her mum in March. She got the extra marks in each of her papers.

good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by Hey you

The rules are laid down here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration. The absolute maximum you can get would be 5% on the units you are entered for in the summer. You need to talk to the exams officer at your school who will have to apply for this but it is not possible to apply for this until after the exam has taken place so there is no great hurry. The difficulty is that special consideration is meant to cover a problem that occurs at the time of the exams and they may not accept an application for something that happened weeks before - you can but try. However, I would talk to your head of 6th as university admissions officers may be more flexible.

Quick Reply

Latest