The Student Room Group

York student fries a hamster

Scroll to see replies

I feel sorry for him if i'm honest. I don't eat meat, so i don't like the idea of people killing animals in the first place, and find the fact that he fried the poor hamster disgusting! However he was majorly drunk when he did it and (i think) was kicked out of his university. He is going to have to live with the consequences of this mistake for the rest of his life as well as suffer abuse from many people for a long time as his identity was made public.
Original post by MirZ
While I totally agree that it's cruel and rotten, I do wonder how many of you are vegetarians? With such outrage over a hamster why not more outrage over beak trimming, overfeeding and in general very very poor conditions for animals?

As soon as I saw the thread I was hoping someone would have pointed this out. Not that I particularly despise non-vegetarians, I just find their outrage at animal cruelty kinda interesting.
Reply 202
Original post by sonic_dream
Being blind drunk isn't an excuse of frying up someone's hamster, whether it be dead or alive. I've been massively wasted my fair share of times in my 23-year existence, and never has something as incredibly stupid as that entered my mind at any point.

It is an excuse... he wouldn't have done it without alcohol

Put yourself in the guys shoes.. he did something a little silly when he was drunk, I bet he regrets it now

But now he is probably suicidal as the media have made such a big ordeal about it

It's ridiculous that the courts are even involved in such a silly matter, it should have been sorted out between the hamsters owner and the dude who killed it.

end of.
Being blind drunk isn't an excuse of frying up someone's hamster, whether it be dead or alive. I've been massively wasted my fair share of times in my 23-year existence, and never has something as incredibly stupid as that entered my mind at any point.

Lucky you. I hope when you inevitably do something dumb when drunk someone is more forgiving than you are.
Original post by madfish

Put yourself in the guys shoes.. he did something a little silly when he was drunk, I bet he regrets it now

I'm sure he regrets it now, and he probably wouldn't have done it had he been sober. BUT it takes a certain type of person to think of doing something like that when drunk.
Original post by Happydude
Lucky you. I hope when you inevitably do something dumb when drunk someone is more forgiving than you are.

People do "dumb stuff" when they're drunk, yes. But something to an awful extent as this won't even enter my mind one bit. I'm NOT that type of person, sorry.

Solution: Do not get that drunk that you are not in control of yourself. Implying the inevitability of doing something dumb when drunk says it all.

Getting blind drunk is one of the dumbest things a person can do to themselves, I have been there a few times unfortunately and I gained nothing in life from being that drunk (amnesia, a bust chin and recovery days), if someone is so drunk they do not know what is going on then the consequences can be more severe than community service.
(edited 11 years ago)
People commenting on this is what's wrong with this country, too many people think you can do just something and not have be held accountable for it. Too many people live with the mentality that they can do whatever they want as long as they regret it after. Being drunk isn't an excuse, I'm pretty sure that vast majority of people here have drunk at some point in their life yet have refrained from killing another living creature.

If he can't drink without acting like a twat then he shouldn't drink.
Original post by SubAtomic
Solution: Do not get that drunk that you are not in control of yourself. Implying the inevitability of doing something dumb when drunk says it all.

Original post by tu_es_jolie_x
People commenting on this is what's wrong with this country, too many people think you can do just something and not have be held accountable for it. Too many people live with the mentality that they can do whatever they want as long as they regret it after. Being drunk isn't an excuse, I'm pretty sure that vast majority of people here have drunk at some point in their life yet have refrained from killing another living creature.

If he can't drink without acting like a **** then he shouldn't drink.

Couldn't agree more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by + polarity -
This is why the death penalty is needed.

I think the sentence was about right and that a custodial sentence may have been excessive. He has clearly paid a large price for his stupidity and the fact he was drunk is certainly not an excuse. Saying that the death penalty is needed for this is simply irrational. He clearly regrets what he has done and has been rightly punished.

If he can't drink without acting like a **** then he shouldn't drink.

HALLELUJAH. Sadly, some people still fail to grasp this concept.
Original post by Aurora.Rose
I feel sorry for him if i'm honest. I don't eat meat, so i don't like the idea of people killing animals in the first place, and find the fact that he fried the poor hamster disgusting! However he was majorly drunk when he did it and (i think) was kicked out of his university. He is going to have to live with the consequences of this mistake for the rest of his life as well as suffer abuse from many people for a long time as his identity was made public.

I hope so.

Original post by Calpurnia
As soon as I saw the thread I was hoping someone would have pointed this out. Not that I particularly despise non-vegetarians, I just find their outrage at animal cruelty kinda interesting.

Me too, on the finding it interesting...
Original post by madfish

But now he is probably suicidal as the media have made such a big ordeal about it

It's ridiculous that the courts are even involved in such a silly matter, it should have been sorted out between the hamsters owner and the dude who killed it.

end of.

I don't agree with this. I've done many silly things whilst drunk. But his brain was capable of knowing how to fry something, and choosing a living breathing innocent animal that was someone's pet. Probably sleeping or sitting there washing herself, and he went and picked her up out of her cage and thought 'Yeh I'm going to FRY you until you die!!'.
No, not silly, not too drunk to know what he was doing. Barbaric, evil thinking. He wasn't too drunk to know what he was doing. He knew where the frying pans were, he knew how to turn on the hob, he knew where the hamster was.

Dumb is leaving an oven on, not locking your door when you get in, falling asleep, leaving the keys in the door so your housemate can't get in, being too drunk to hear your alarm and being late for work, NOT killing something painfully and horribly. That's not 'dumb' behaviour, , that's horrific, evil behaviour

I'm sure he regrets it now, and he probably wouldn't have done it had he been sober. BUT it takes a certain type of person to think of doing something like that when drunk.

This.

If he can't drink without acting like a twat then he shouldn't drink.

Yes. People feeling concerned for people who do this kind of thing, and thinking he needs sympathy rather than hatred, is what's wrong with the country IMO. I agree with you.

Original post by Callum96
I think the sentence was about right and that a custodial sentence may have been excessive. He has clearly paid a large price for his stupidity and the fact he was drunk is certainly not an excuse. Saying that the death penalty is needed for this is simply irrational. He clearly regrets what he has done and has been rightly punished.

I don't think he regrets it-as has been documented, he's already said the hamster was already dead. Now if she wasn't dead before he got hold of her, and why would she be?! that is a complete lie. He's trying to excuse himself.
Yes sugarmouse, he should be locked up for all time for being a savage barbarian.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by sugarmouse

Dumb is leaving an oven on, not locking your door when you get in, falling asleep, leaving the keys in the door so your housemate can't get in, being too drunk to hear your alarm and being late for work, NOT killing something painfully and horribly. That's not 'dumb' behaviour, , that's horrific, evil behaviour

Like I said, I hope you encounter more empathetic people when you end up making a royal mother out of a situation when inebriated one day. Frying a hamster is indefensible behaviour, but do you think ruining his reputation and career prospects (suicide risk?) is a fair punishment? I think it is excessive.
I'm not going to comment on the punishment. I just can't comprehend why some of you think everyone is capable of thinking such a thing when drunk. Not everyone has that mentality; not everyone is capable of turning into such a **** even when hugely drunk.
Like I said, I hope you encounter more empathetic people when you end up making a royal mother out of a situation when inebriated one day. Frying a hamster is indefensible behaviour, but do you think ruining his reputation and career prospects (suicide risk?) is a fair punishment? I think it is excessive.

I am totally apathetic on what happens to him-But if bad things happen, I'll have no sympathy.

His punishment by the law is fairly lenient but It's more suited than what I've seen some animal abusers get.

As I have said earlier, I've been a heavy drinker most of my life, I've been VERY drunk more times than most people. Not that I'm proud of it, but it's fact. I've done some incredibly stupid things.I'd never PURPOSELY hurt anybody innocent who didn't deserve it, and I guarantee I never will.

Original post by Midlander
Yes sugarmouse, he should be locked up for all time for being a savage barbarian.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Please do tell me where I've said that.

In fact I don't think I've even commented on his punishment, aside from agreeing when somebody said he'd probably be open to people being antisocial toward him and responding 'good'.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not going to comment on the punishment. I just can't comprehend why some of you think everyone is capable of thinking such a thing when drunk. Not everyone has that mentality; not everyone is capable of turning into such a **** even when hugely drunk.

I think it's because they're comparing it to the daft things most folk do whilst drunk. Somehow they think that harbouring a desire to watch a small animal scream in pain and fear as her skin is scorched and burnt until eventually she succumbs to the burns and dies a horrid painful frightening death-is the same as losing your wallet, arguing with the doorman or sleeping with your housemate...
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it's because they're comparing it to the daft things most folk do whilst drunk. Somehow they think that harbouring a desire to watch a small animal scream in pain and fear as her skin is scorched and burnt until eventually she succumbs to the burns and dies a horrid painful frightening death-is the same as losing your wallet, arguing with the doorman or sleeping with your housemate...

Another ridiculously over the top comment. The language you're using to describe the act would make even baking a cake sound something only Genghis Khan himself would dare attempt. Part of me honestly thinks you won't be happy until this bloke is fried in a pan himself.

Ever swatted a fly or stood on a spider?

In fact I don't think I've even commented on his punishment, aside from agreeing when somebody said he'd probably be open to people being antisocial toward him and responding 'good'.

Well let's be blunt here, you called his £1k fine, decade's ban on owning animals, and lengthy community service order too lenient. I'd strongly wager you killed a few insects while you were off your face-perhaps you should be carted off to prison to punish you for such barbarity.
I am totally apathetic on what happens to him-But if bad things happen, I'll have no sympathy.

His punishment by the law is fairly lenient but It's more suited than what I've seen some animal abusers get.

As I have said earlier, I've been a heavy drinker most of my life, I've been VERY drunk more times than most people. Not that I'm proud of it, but it's fact. I've done some incredibly stupid things.I'd never PURPOSELY hurt anybody innocent who didn't deserve it, and I guarantee I never will

He fried a hamster that was potentially already dead. How vindictive can you be to wish ruin upon a man's entire life for that?

You must be tremendously lucky to have drunk as much as you've claimed and never done anything stupid as a result. As with all drugs, alcohol alters your reasoning and decision-making capacity - the choices you make when drunk are often different from the ones you would make when sober, and this should be taken into account when judging anybody's actions.

To be quite frank, you are coming across as naive and overly vindictive. The only way to learn forgiveness is to have made some really big mistakes and be blessed to have someone have the patience and tolerance to forgive you - something I've been grateful for more than a couple of times in my life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending