The Student Room Group

Most reputable Law schools?

What are the top 10? League tables vary with some universities, so I'm looking for a list of the top 10 most consistently high, and also the one's which are respected by Law firms. Which are most respected? Thanks xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally i would put it at in terms of a firms perspective (bear in mine within the separate groups they are in no particular order
Oxford
Cambridge

LSE

UCL
Nottingham
Bristol
Kings
Durham
Warwick

Birmingham
Reply 2
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Nottingham
Bristol
Exeter
Kings
Warwick
Durham

Birm/sheff/leeds/liverpool/QMUL/Southampton/ Leicester/kent???maybe
Reply 3
Original post by Enthusiastic A
What are the top 10? League tables vary with some universities, so I'm looking for a list of the top 10 most consistently high, and also the one's which are respected by Law firms. Which are most respected? Thanks xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no definitive list equivalent to the T14, rankings change too much here.

It seems that Oxbridge continues to be a quite significant advantage in terms of entering the legal professions judging by page 23 here, this, this, this at page 49 for the Bar and this from Chambers Student. Of course statistics, like tequila, are best taken with a pinch of salt but the constant trend this way would suggest Oxbridge graduates definitely have a head start when it comes to the hunt for a TC/pupillage.

In a way this makes sense, after all they are the only ones who do something demonstrably different with the students they get which would make them better than other unis would make them (one on one tutorials and weekly essays), whilst everywhere else taking a reasonable cohort of straight A students does very similar things (lectures, fairly regular small group tutorials and essays once or twice a term for each subject).

Thus a group which was already quite likely amongst the best at 18/19 has had the most effort, time and money put into making it even better at 21/22, whilst everywhere else have done similar things and thus produce top graduates roughly in line with the number of top A Level students they managed to get in the first place. After all, if you're a recruiter and you have one candidate with A*A*A* and a high 2.1 from say Birmingham and another with AAA and a mid 2.1 from UCL you have to ask 'what have UCL done differently to Birmingham with this student to make them more appealing?' and the answer seems to be, objectively at least, not a huge amount other than having more of that type of student there.

This isn't to say Oxbridge grads are always better, they aren't, but, because unis are offering very similar products outside those 2, where is 'good' for firms to go hunting depends as much on fashions amongst sixth formers 3/4 years ago as it does on what those unis you visit have actually been doing with them since. This makes it very hard to pin down a certain 'top 10', because fashions change quite quickly.

Anyway, here's some unis that could probably be in with a shout of being 'top 10' depending who you talk to:

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
KCL
Nottingham
Durham
Bristol
Warwick
Birmingham
Manchester
Exeter
QMUL
SOAS
Glasgow
Edinburgh

Less frequently but still might be thrown in:
Leeds
Sheffield
York
Newcastle
Soton
Leicester
Reading
Liverpool
Lancaster
Cardiff

I've probably missed a few.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I think generally

Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Nottingham
Durham
Bristol
KCL
Warwick
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by NoGoodOnesLeft
Personally i would put it at in terms of a firms perspective (bear in mine within the separate groups they are in no particular order
Oxford
Cambridge

LSE

UCL
Nottingham
Bristol
Kings
Durham
Warwick

Birmingham

Why would UCL be in a separate group to the LSE? :s-smilie: some places rank it higher for law and the average applicant has more UCAS points (it varies each year, of course). Not to mention that UCL is as much of a target uni for top law firms as the LSE. Personally, I'd say they were even; however, even if you gave the LSE a slight edge, I fail to see how it could be put in an entirely different group...
Original post by McMurdo
Why would UCL be in a separate group to the LSE? :s-smilie: some places rank it higher for law and the average applicant has more UCAS points (it varies each year, of course). Not to mention that UCL is as much of a target uni for top law firms as the LSE. Personally, I'd say they were even; however, even if you gave the LSE a slight edge, I fail to see how it could be put in an entirely different group...

Purely due to international reputation. Though on paper it is relatively even the name will turn more heads particularly among American or Asian firms.
Reply 8
Original post by NoGoodOnesLeft
Purely due to international reputation. Though on paper it is relatively even the name will turn more heads particularly among American or Asian firms.

Even with regards to reputation, I'd say they are very much on par. Again, even if you gave LSE the edge, it isn't enough to warrant that much of a distinction. Among Asian firms, I'd say there's virtually no, if any, difference. Among US ones, it's not that significant. I'd say it's just too close overall to put them in entirely different brackets, especially as the overall brand name of UCL is also comparable (and in some places more recognised)
Original post by McMurdo
Even with regards to reputation, I'd say they are very much on par. Again, even if you gave LSE the edge, it isn't enough to warrant that much of a distinction. Among Asian firms, I'd say there's virtually no, if any, difference. Among US ones, it's not that significant. I'd say it's just too close overall to put them in entirely different brackets, especially as the overall brand name of UCL is also comparable (and in some places more recognised)

To be fair, LSE does have a better reputation than UCL overseas, especially in North America in my experience. I would agree though,, that people cannot justify placing LSE in a tier by itself.
Reply 10
Original post by roh
Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
UCL
KCL
Nottingham
Durham
Bristol
Warwick
Birmingham
Manchester
Exeter
QMUL
SOAS
Glasgow
Edinburgh

Beezer.

Although threads such as this should always be read subject to the post Nulli made months ago where he was able to find 30+ 'top ten' law schools.
Reply 11
Original post by Cutmeloose
To be fair, LSE does have a better reputation than UCL overseas, especially in North America in my experience. I would agree though,, that people cannot justify placing LSE in a tier by itself.

It has a slight edge overall, but not by much. Only in the US is there an edge, really.But yes, like you said, even if it does have the slight edge in that respect, it certainly doesn't deserve its own tier.
Reply 12
Original post by Norton1
Beezer.

Although threads such as this should always be read subject to the post Nulli made months ago where he was able to find 30+ 'top ten' law schools.

Had to google that, clearly not down with the kids.

Also, didn't know you went to Glasgow (assuming urban dictionary hasn't lied to me), I know a few Glasgow lawyers from year abroad (if you know anyone who went to strasbourg).
Reply 13

Worth noting that "best law departments" and "best universities" do not always correlate. Leicester, for example, has a respected LLB and lots of firms attend its law fair, but it's rare you'll see it in a list of the UK top-10 unis.
What matters is the opinion of law firms, and that will always the Oxbridge 2. Honestly about half of trainees seem to be Oxbridge educated, and the rest LSE/UCL/Durham etc
Original post by Mr_Slant
What matters is the opinion of law firms, and that will always the Oxbridge 2. Honestly about half of trainees seem to be Oxbridge educated, and the rest LSE/UCL/Durham etc

In the last year 3372 new solicitors had law degrees. Even if every law graduate from those universities became a solicitor (and they don't) that would be less than 1/3 of that number.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending