The Student Room Group

So I hit the kerb...

Bloody snow.

Tyre and wheel is damaged, impacted on the brake disc and so all needs replacing.

:frown:

Gutted, any idea what this *should* cost?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"a lot" is the short answer... But im only 16, what do i know? :P Good luck :wink:
Reply 2
Hey don't worry about the cost just get quotes from 2-3 mechanics in your area and go for the cheapest 1 tell them you will get parts and ask them how much to fit it if you know what parts you need or else let them sort it out

Don't be sad instead let it be an experience

Avoid kwikfit
Wherebouts in England are you from, I know some cheap mechanics in the West/East-Midlands area if you live near-by.
Reply 4
If you're replacing one tyre you'll likely need to replace the one on the opposite side as well (unless you've got brand spanking new ones or you can find an equally wear-matched spare) so you'll need to factor that into the cost too. The fact you've damaged the brake rotors is going to add a fair chunk to the cost too. As the people earlier said, shop around a bit, don't necessarily go for the 'brand-name' garages like Kwik-fit as they can be more expensive!
Literally..

Search online for the prices of the parts you'd need to replace. That would give you a rough idea.
Reply 6
It's at the garage at the moment, they're fixing it. They towed it and had diagnostics done (hence how I know what it is) and will ring me for prices before doing anything. They seem fine, what they said made a lot of sense.

Nevertheless, I'm scared lol.

I swear this car has caused me nothing but grief. I'm going to sell it after uni and just use public transport :angry:.
Original post by Pawsies
I swear this car has caused me nothing but grief. I'm going to sell it after uni and just use public transport :angry:.

Which will give you more grief. Cars are indeed expensive to run and maintain, but so worth it compared to buses.
Reply 8
Original post by mikeyd85
Which will give you more grief. Cars are indeed expensive to run and maintain, but so worth it compared to buses.

Luckily the buses where I'm from are pretty decent and run on time :smile:
Reply 9
Probably a lot of the steering and suspension components are going to be buckled if you managed to hurt the brake disk.
Reply 10
Original post by Pawsies

Don't blame the car for your driving
Reply 11
Original post by Yawn11
Don't blame the car for your driving

I'll blame the weather :biggrin:

Literally just skidded and it all happened so quick before I smashed into kerb. Car seemed ok but when I tried to move it it was making grinding noises like an injured animal.
Probably bent a wishbone, possibly steering rack depends if it was nearside or offside. Shouldn't be a costly repair i'd say sub £250 a hub, disk, calliper etc isn't too expensive but really depends what damage you have caused.

Original post by alex193
If you're replacing one tyre you'll likely need to replace the one on the opposite side as well (unless you've got brand spanking new ones or you can find an equally wear-matched spare) so you'll need to factor that into the cost too.

not sure where your getting this from, if the tyre on the opposite side is within the legal limit theres no need to replace. A tyre with 3mm of tread will grip just as much as a tyre with 6mm of tread... general wear and tear should see a year minimum out of a set of tyres on a well maintained car with a geometry set up with correct tracking, toe and camber. Tyres do not have to be replaced in pairs.
Original post by Pawsies
Bloody snow.

Tyre and wheel is damaged, impacted on the brake disc and so all needs replacing.

:frown:

Gutted, any idea what this *should* cost?

This is the story of my life, I must damage my wheels (alloys) at least once a week, they've taken a good beating and I've torn my tyre before now! :\ I've also had to pay for 2 new brake pads and a brake disc.

I've got a Fiat 500 but it does vary by car:

1 x Tyre - £60
2 new brake pads and a brake disc - £170
4xAlloys (removing scratches and touching up) - £140
Reply 14
wasn't so bad.

cost me £258 for new tyre, metal wheel, diagnostics, fitting and towing. I expected £300 and that's what they quoted me too so happy it was less :smile:

Plus they cleaned the car and brought it to my house.

One of the better garages I must say :smile:
Original post by Pawsies
wasn't so bad.

cost me £258 for new tyre, metal wheel, diagnostics, fitting and towing. I expected £300 and that's what they quoted me too so happy it was less :smile:

Plus they cleaned the car and brought it to my house.

One of the better garages I must say :smile:

Sounds like you got a good deal, as if they cleaned it and brought it home for you too! :redface: Glad you got it all sorted! :smile:
Reply 16
Only a woman would think that was a good deal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Just keep an eye on how the tyres start to wear.
With a shunt like that I'll be amazed if the suspension on that corner is still in the original shape.
Reply 18
Original post by matt123roll
Probably bent a wishbone, possibly steering rack depends if it was nearside or offside. Shouldn't be a costly repair i'd say sub £250 a hub, disk, calliper etc isn't too expensive but really depends what damage you have caused.

not sure where your getting this from, if the tyre on the opposite side is within the legal limit theres no need to replace. A tyre with 3mm of tread will grip just as much as a tyre with 6mm of tread... general wear and tear should see a year minimum out of a set of tyres on a well maintained car with a geometry set up with correct tracking, toe and camber. Tyres do not have to be replaced in pairs.

You shouldn't mis-match tyres.
Your opening post failed to mention whether you drove a Fiesta or a Ferrari.
It won't cost the same for both :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest