The Student Room Group

Why hate feminine acting men?

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't matter whether they're gay or not, I can't stand anyone that's attention seeking and in your face.
Reply 21
Original post by Ice Constricter
It isn't hypocritical or in any way homophobic. Cause I find overly flamboyant acting girls just as annoying, so I really don't know how you can fault my logic there.

In YOUR case. Men who act feminine receive hate and the same logic isn't applied to women, that is sexist, I outlined it clearly.
Original post by BooHooRah
But negativity, arrogance and bigotry are negative traits, acting feminine isn't.

Well there's being a bit feminine, for example I like to look after my skin and dress well, does that make me slightly feminine? I don't know lol

But I was referring to overly flamboyant "camp" guys, who are very in your face and very loud gathering attention ( I'm sure not all females aren't like that? So is it acting feminine?)But that's what camp seems to be referred to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Redolent
It's not true to say "camp" = "feminine", it's a bit more nuanced than that. I have met a few overly camp men who were very annoying and up themselves (and plenty of slightly camp but not so in-your-face men who were very nice), but women who act the same way as said annoying men are equally annoying.

But yes it is pretty ignorant and counter-productive to describe being camp as "acting gay"

Well it is true as it is obviously used to mean that in some common usage, you can be camp and not be loud and theatrical, a limp wrist would be described as camp. Males acting feminine is often called camp.
Never know what? Not all camp acting males are gay.

Why can't they just do that? I don't perhaps they are under the insane assumption they shouldn't live their lives acting how bigots like YOU want them to act?

Why do you find them annoying though? Why is a man acting feminine annoying? Because you're sexist and want everyone to act the way you like, how is that any better than being racist or homophobic?

Woah. Take a deep breath. What's happened to make you so angry?

On topic, people hate what they don't understand :h:
But if you actively hate people who act camp the chances are you are hating some gay people you may not be hating them because they are gay but because they "act gay", it is just as bad and is probably enforced through homophobic insults and ignorant mindsets. Whether homophobic or not it is definitely sexist, as it hates men who don't act a certain way. And no we are not talking about liking annoying people that's an oxymoron, we are talking about actively disliking camp people and why you don't like them. How is it okay? If they aren't doing anything to you what's the problem?

Well to be honest I think you're confusing acting "camp" and acting "gay". To me acting Gay is going out and actively looking for a sexual liaison with another man, something I simply don't care if other people do. Acting camp might just be acting in a much more outgoing fashion, which at times I can find an irritation - the two are separate things, and arguably you're making a double standard for yourself in attacking others for being (supposedly) sexist for (again supposedly) wanting men to act like men, whilst also yourself lumping together camp traits with gay traits, you're stereotyping too...

That difference also proves crucial, because an irrational fear or hatred of gay people is homophobia, and simple dislike of certain behavioural traits is not. That's just the way people are, they have likes and dislikes, you can't force them to drop their dislikes, and if you tried then you would effectively be attempting to take away people's freedom to having their own opinion, a particularly despicable act if I do say so myself...
Reply 26
Well it is true as it is obviously used to mean that in some common usage, you can be camp and not be loud and theatrical, a limp wrist would be described as camp. Males acting feminine is often called camp.

I don't see many people who have a problem with the sort who are not loud and overly theatrical.

What are you getting at anyway? Are you trying to imply that not liking overly camp men is homophobic? Because that's not true, homosexuality is a sexual/romantic attraction to the same gender and nothing more, there are no implicit personality traits involved.
Reply 27
So what you are are saying is everyone should just love everyone

Why is it not acceptable to dislike certain groups and certain people. Thought police...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RadioHawk
Afraid that's my bad :frown:
Budget cuts meant i had to lay off half my staff....
Running a universe is bloody tricky, last guy left it in a right shambles

Does laying off half your staff explain why we have fewer religions/prophets emerging today then? Not enough divine inspiration going around?

And do the budget cuts also explain why we're seeing fewer miracles and so forth? (e.g. world floods, cities being ruined with fire & brimstone etc)

I gotta be honest, you've become a lot less exciting :P
Reply 29
I don't see many people who have a problem with the sort who are not loud and overly theatrical.

What are you getting at anyway? Are you trying to imply that not liking overly camp men is homophobic? Because that's not true, homosexuality is a sexual/romantic attraction to the same gender and nothing more, there are no implicit personality traits involved.

I'm saying if you hate people who you think "act gay" the chances are you hate many gay people, it may not because of their orientation but because how they act, but if they are hurting anyone it is no better.

And my point was clear, it is completely sexist to hate men who act feminine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by ed-

Why is it not acceptable to dislike certain groups and certain people. Thought police...

It's not desirable for people to dislike other groups, that's not the same as saying it's not acceptable. What's not acceptable is for people to express their dislike in a manner which potentially harms that other group.
Reply 31
I'm saying if you hate people who you think "act gay" the chances are you hate many gay people, it may not because of their orientation but how they act but if they are hurting anyone it is no better.

And my point was clear, it is complete sexist to hate men who act feminine.

When you say "act gay" do you mean "act camp"? Are you attacking the people who don't know the difference, or people who have no problem with homosexuality in itself but find overly camp people annoying?
Reply 32
Original post by ed-

No dislike what you want but think about WHY you dislike it. If you dislike men who act feminine that is because of sexism, that's the truth. Unless you hate feminine people all together?
Reply 33
No dislike what you want but think about WHY you dislike it. If you dislike men who act feminine that is because of sexism, that's the truth. Unless you hate feminine people all together?

Camp definition: "Deliberately exaggerated and theatrical in style, typically for humorous effect."

That is not the same as being a bit feminine.
Reply 34
When you say "act gay" do you mean "act camp"? Are you attacking the people who don't know the difference, or people who have no problem with homosexuality in itself but find overly camp people annoying?

I mean for showing feminine qualities, things men are called "gay" "pussy" or "fag" for doing.
Reply 35
Camp is a personality type, homosexuality is not. I see no problem with hating certain personality types since someone's personality can and probably will change over time whereas sexuality will not. Don't conflate the two as the one thing to make it seem like hating camp people is offensive.
Reply 36
Camp definition: "Deliberately exaggerated and theatrical in style, typically for humorous effect."

That is not the same as being a bit feminine.

But it is used to mean that often. Just like the definition of gay isn't girly. :rolleyes:
Reply 37
But negativity, arrogance and bigotry are negative traits, acting feminine isn't.

What was said is completely fine. I don't see your issue. Are you saying every person has to like every single personality? I'm sure there are people you don't get along with, do you like every personality trait in the world?

Be a little realistic. I don't hang around with quiet or loud people because I don't gel with them well. Is that a bad thing?
Reply 38
Original post by Kiss
Camp is a personality type, homosexuality is not. I see no problem with hating certain personality types since someone's personality can and probably will change over time whereas sexuality will not. Don't conflate the two as the one thing to make it seem like hating camp people is offensive.

Exactly what I'm saying! You made a very good point.
Reply 39
I don't like camp on anyone. Male/Female. I don't like to associate or interact with people who are flamboyant and loud.

Quick Reply