The Student Room Group

Have I put on weight? *Pictures*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by danielnkwocha
Do you weigh more than you did?

There's your answer

I don't know how many more times I have to say this-I never weigh myself so through weighing myself now, I'll have no idea if I weigh more than before...Because I don't know my weight! HENCE THIS THREAD ASKING! :tongue:
Yes. I imagine most women would still like to have your figure though.
Original post by Suga.Cubes
Thanks. I plan to get healthy and excerise 'til I drop!

Don't over do it though. By that I mean don't over do the amount of exercise you do and be sure not to drop too much weight.
Good luck.
She's already explained that she doesn't use scales so they wouldn't tell her if she'd put on weight. Also, scales ARE the best way to tell if you've put on WEIGHT literally, but in this case it seems OP is just concerned about how she looks. You can get flabbier/less toned and your weight can change very slightly or even not at all, depending on your muscle tone, build, exercise schedule.
I know this due to my own experiences-my job is quite physical, and I run regularly. In times past whenever I have time off work and/or don't run (eg when I've been ill or something) I don't put weight on at all, my weight stays the same or even has dropped slightly in the past, but I definitely look different, and feel flabbier around my middle especially.
Regards the first post, I think you have put some fat on around your stomach area, you still look great though. It creeps on easily so it's good that you're thinking about it now so you can nip it in the bud before it gets more difficult to manage.
Reply 45
Original post by McHumpy92
Walking is crap exercise on its own

100 calories burnt per a mile walked, hardly crap is it? Plus its rather easy and accessible to most people regardless of age or fitness.
Reply 46
Original post by Swanbow
100 calories burnt per a mile walked, hardly crap is it? Plus its rather easy and accessible to most people regardless of age or fitness.

But the whole idea of exercise is to shape your body, keep you healthy, get strong etc....losing a couple of hundred calories you may as well just eat less.

Better off lifting weights or HIIT...at least you will get a nice shape to you.
Reply 47
Original post by McHumpy92
But the whole idea of exercise is to shape your body, keep you healthy, get strong etc....losing a couple of hundred calories you may as well just eat less.

Better off lifting weights or HIIT...at least you will get a nice shape to you.

True, but I still think that is a useful cardiovascular exercise and something that gets the heart pumping, better than nothing. On top your of exercise routine I would always suggest walking and avoiding public transport/driving where ever possible as it helps keep you in shape. If you are young its all fine and dandy hitting the weights and doing circuit training and what not, but for older people I think that walking is a great way to get in shape.
Reply 48
Original post by sugarmouse
She's already explained that she doesn't use scales so they wouldn't tell her if she'd put on weight. Also, scales ARE the best way to tell if you've put on WEIGHT literally, but in this case it seems OP is just concerned about how she looks. You can get flabbier/less toned and your weight can change very slightly or even not at all, depending on your muscle tone, build, exercise schedule.
I know this due to my own experiences-my job is quite physical, and I run regularly. In times past whenever I have time off work and/or don't run (eg when I've been ill or something) I don't put weight on at all, my weight stays the same or even has dropped slightly in the past, but I definitely look different, and feel flabbier around my middle especially.
Regards the first post, I think you have put some fat on around your stomach area, you still look great though. It creeps on easily so it's good that you're thinking about it now so you can nip it in the bud before it gets more difficult to manage.

Thank you ! :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by Llamageddon
Yes. I imagine most women would still like to have your figure though.

Reply 50
Well I'm glad I made this thread - I'm now very motivated to lose the weight/tone up/get healthy, so thanks everyone for being honest :smile:
Please read my post were I explained this! I rarely weigh myself, therefore I don't know my 'usual' weight, so getting on the scales doesn't mean anything to me. And I'm a bad judge at how much/if any weight I've put on. Hence this thread..!

I read it, answered your question best I could and also offered my opinion that scales would give you a far better answer. Don't be so precious.

On a tangent - you don't know your usual weight, therefore the reading would mean nothing? By that logic, you should never do anything new, as the outcome would mean nothing.

The fact is, if you're serious about maintaining a good weight scales and potentially calipers are needed to give you a definitive answer.

If you're just after a kick up the backside, then an internet forum may well work for you. If so, that's great.

I'd caution however, that there is danger in asking people to choose one picture over another. Unless they're taken at exactly the same time, same place, same quality of light, with the exact same posture and ideally the same food/water intake in the previous few hours, then they're not very reliable. For example two or three pints of water in the hours before a such as that is taken could skew the answers somewhat.
oh my...it looks like u ate 100 hamburgers
Original post by Swanbow
True, but I still think that is a useful cardiovascular exercise and something that gets the heart pumping, better than nothing. On top your of exercise routine I would always suggest walking and avoiding public transport/driving where ever possible as it helps keep you in shape. If you are young its all fine and dandy hitting the weights and doing circuit training and what not, but for older people I think that walking is a great way to get in shape.

It's not going to get you as fit as running, or as toned as doing weights of whatever, but you can trim down surprisingly through brisk walking. I think one of the times i was at my slimmest was when i used to walk 45 mins to and 45 mins back from work every day, at a brisk clip, not a saunter. i was definitely slimmer than before i started doing it - though obviously it didn't mean i could then run a marathon...
I think the real question here is why you had naked pictures of yourself before, did you anticipate you would gain weight in the future? Hahahaha

But seriously lifting weights would help anyones physique, male or female, by tightening everything up, I recommend you start squatting/deadlifting.
Reply 55
Original post by BowzerEdwards
I read it, answered your question best I could and also offered my opinion that scales would give you a far better answer. Don't be so precious.

On a tangent - you don't know your usual weight, therefore the reading would mean nothing? By that logic, you should never do anything new, as the outcome would mean nothing.

The fact is, if you're serious about maintaining a good weight scales and potentially calipers are needed to give you a definitive answer.

If you're just after a kick up the backside, then an internet forum may well work for you. If so, that's great.

I'd caution however, that there is danger in asking people to choose one picture over another. Unless they're taken at exactly the same time, same place, same quality of light, with the exact same posture and ideally the same food/water intake in the previous few hours, then they're not very reliable. For example two or three pints of water in the hours before a such as that is taken could skew the answers somewhat.

I realise I could weigh myself, but for example if I weighed 9 st 3lbs, I wouldn't know if that was my usual weight or not. I'll weigh myself now, as it seems i have put on weight. And yes, partly I did think i put on weight and wanted a kick up the backside, which has worked..:tongue:

Yes, I thought about that. The first pic's were taken after eating and at the evening time. The second pics were taken after eating very little, and not drinking...:frown:. But I realise light affects pic's and so on, but it's the best method I could think of!
Reply 56
Original post by marcus2001
I think the real question here is why you had naked pictures of yourself before, did you anticipate you would gain weight in the future? Hahahaha

But seriously lifting weights would help anyones physique, male or female, by tightening everything up, I recommend you start squatting/deadlifting.

Lol no, when I took those pictures I thought I needed to lose a bit more weight..:s-smilie:

How about cardio though? I was thinking doing both, but since I would like to lose lbs I was thinking of first doing more cardio to get to the weight I want, then once I'm nearly there, doing more lifting to get the body/shape I want?
Possibly pregnant ...
Reply 58
Original post by study beats
oh my...it looks like u ate 100 hamburgers

Oh my...that's charming.
Oh my...that's charming.

or are u pregnant?

Quick Reply

Latest