The Student Room Group

Why hate feminine acting men?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BooHooRah
But it is used to mean that often.

I don't think it is. "Camp" usually implies a being a bit theatrical and a bit over-the-top.

If you are criticising the fact people use not being fond of camp men as a justification for homophobia then I completely agree. But there's nothing bigoted about finding overly theatrical people annoying, unless they only do it when it applies to one gender, but I think you are overestimating how common that is.

The kind of camp men I find annoying are the kind who take any excuse they can find to call people "babes" in an accent they are obviously putting on, and are always going out of their way to remind everyone they're gay, they're different, they're not like the other boys. Women who act in a similarly over-the-top attention seeking manner are not exactly popular either, are they?

Ever seen that "gap yah" video? That's an overly theatrical guy who seems a bit camp, but his sexuality and his gender are pretty much irrelevant, since he would be annoying either way.
Reply 41
Original post by Kiss
Camp is a personality type, homosexuality is not. I see no problem with hating certain personality types since someone's personality can and probably will change over time whereas sexuality will not. Don't conflate the two as the one thing to make it seem like hating camp people is offensive.

Couldn't have said it better, agree 100%
Reply 42
So... noone's allowed any sort of opinion because it may offend someone, somewhere.
Reply 43
Original post by Redolent
I don't think it is.

Well I do think it is. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=camp
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Steezy
So... noone's allowed any sort of opinion because it may offend someone, somewhere.

Yeah that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:
Reply 45

You've conveniently disregarded the bulk of my post. I never see men who merely have a few "feminine" qualities get called "camp"; "camp" is almost always associated with seeming theatrical and making your mannerisms seem a bit put-on.
Reply 46
You've conveniently disregarded the bulk of my post. I never see men who merely have a few "feminine" qualities get called "camp"; "camp" is almost always associated with seeming theatrical and making your mannerisms seem a bit put-on.

Girly acting gays are called camp in my experience, get over it.
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Does laying off half your staff explain why we have fewer religions/prophets emerging today then? Not enough divine inspiration going around?

And do the budget cuts also explain why we're seeing fewer miracles and so forth? (e.g. world floods, cities being ruined with fire & brimstone etc)

I gotta be honest, you've become a lot less exciting :P

That was the old guy
My reign shall be supreme!
I'm gonna take a different approach...
There'll be aliens, space exploration and MORE SCIENCE!
Reply 48
I find extremes of camp to be rather irritating, but on the other hand some of my best friends are rather camp. Any personality trait considered in isolation can seem far worse than when you think about actual people. Any person will have many personality traits, some which will appeal and some which will not - I try not to judge people on any one trait or attribute.
Reply 49
Girly acting gays are called camp in my experience, get over it.

Get over it? I'm not the one being needlessly aggressive.

Also, "girly acting gays" is not the same "men who are a bit feminine" which was your original position. You have also changed the thread title now.

I have nothing more to say anyway, I already know I'm not sexist/homophobic.
Reply 50
Don't care about their sexuality, but I don't like the flamboyant over-the-top Louie Spence style of behaviour. Too rich for me.
I think it has a lot to do with the hatred of people who do not conform to their gendered roles and characteristics. Children are taught to police gender from an early age (e.g. telling a boy that he shouldn't be playing with dolls because that's a girl's toy). This tends to be more extreme for boys than for girls, so there is a deeper hatred of men who act feminine than women who act masculine. Masculine traits and roles are seen as superior to feminine traits so they are not so discouraged in women - it is seen as understandable that she would want to emulate them so they are more 'useful' traits to have. Whereas men who have feminine traits are seen as rejecting their male privilege for an inferior position which people (especially men) can't understand.
Reply 52
Not many people like attention seekers. I doubt it has very much to do with their sexuality for most people.
Original post by RadioHawk
That was the old guy
My reign shall be supreme!
I'm gonna take a different approach...
There'll be aliens, space exploration and MORE SCIENCE!

I'm finding this conversation a lot more entertaining than the on-topic one!:biggrin:

I never received cake, or an invite to this big party though:colonhash:
Reply 54
But camp doesn't equal talking about sex so that has no point. Also gay people should be free to talk about their sexuality since they have straights SHOVED in their faces all the time, duh. All people should be free to discuss sex, the people to forced things on overs is not gay people, let's keep within reality here please.

Disagree. Just because a majority of people are 'straight' it doesn't mean they are shoved in gay people's faces.

Making a big deal about their sexuality doesn't help things like homophobia. I don't see why its necessary to introduce yourself with your sexuality. It's not necessary hence other securities dont.
Being gay isn't a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't hate them, I just struggle to be around them for extended periods of time.
Reply 56
Get over it? I'm not the one being needlessly aggressive.

Also, "girly acting gays" is not the same "men who are a bit feminine" which was your original position. You have also changed the thread title now.

I have nothing more to say anyway, I already know I'm not sexist/homophobic.

Yes you are by trying to have meaningless semantics arguments with me.
Reply 57
Yes you are by trying to have meaningless semantics arguments with me.

If you say so :rolleyes:
Reply 58
Original post by jarasta
Disagree. Just because a majority of people are 'straight' it doesn't mean they are shoved in gay people's faces.

You don't think straight people have ever shoved their straightness on to gays? Are you joking? So the kill the gays bill wasn't made by straights? Anti gay ads aren't made by straights? Conversion therapy wasn't made by straights? They weren't institutionalised by straights? Religions condemning homosexuality aren't straight? Those people protesting gays funerals aren't straight?

You should be embarrassed for such an ignorant statement.

Making a big deal about their sexuality doesn't help things like homophobia.

Yes because homophobes are only homophobes because gays make a big deal of it. Is this opposite day or are you just completely dense?
Reply 59
If you say so :rolleyes:

I just did and here you are proving me right again. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending