The Student Room Group

Worried about being fat at uni?

I know this is vain, but I went to an open day and everyone is skinny; I think I was the fattest person there. I know I can loose weight, but I'm kind of concerned that I won't fit in there because of it.

Should I be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends where you're going.
I was in halls in 8-person flats and it was fine, everyone was really nice anyway and we had no issues with food theft so there were no assumptions that I was behind anything! I'm living with mostly the same people this year and they're incredibly supportive of me trying to lose weight now! :biggrin:
The only time I really feel self-conscious is in lectures if people have to get out of the row, because in some theatres it's really tight even if you're skinny! But essentially, it shouldn't be an issue to find friends who don't care, and most people are past the bullying phase and just won't care either!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I know this is vain, but I went to an open day and everyone is skinny; I think I was the fattest person there. I know I can loose weight, but I'm kind of concerned that I won't fit in there because of it.

Should I be?

Don't feel that way. Yes, losing weight would be beneficial for your health but you shouldn't worry about people at uni bullying you for it, I think people have matured a bit by that age. And tbh I doubt you want friends who will judge you because of your weight anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Katie_p
It depends where you're going.
I was in halls in 8-person flats and it was fine, everyone was really nice anyway and we had no issues with food theft so there were no assumptions that I was behind anything! I'm living with mostly the same people this year and they're incredibly supportive of me trying to lose weight now! :biggrin:
The only time I really feel self-conscious is in lectures if people have to get out of the row, because in some theatres it's really tight even if you're skinny! But essentially, it shouldn't be an issue to find friends who don't care, and most people are past the bullying phase and just won't care either!

I'm not the sort of person who is easily bullied lol, tough 'urban' school lmao :smile: I know this sounds horrible, but I don't really eat like a 'fatty' :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Luke Williams
The answer is simple. Yes - people will call you Fatty and hide their food away from your greedy chops...

This attempt to be funny is pathetic. You could have chosen so many different pathways and still achieved a greater standard of humour.
-Must try better-
Reply 5
I'm not the sort of person who is easily bullied lol, tough 'urban' school lmao :smile: I know this sounds horrible, but I don't really eat like a 'fatty' :smile:

You'll be fine then. Obviously losing weight is the best option because it's healthy AND will make you feel better, but if you can take the occasional weight-related insult there's really nothing to worry about.

Hanging about with the "lad" groups might get you offended more often as people comment on how all the fat girls are such sluts because they're desperate to get laid or something similar, but if you're not into that sort of thing it doesn't matter at all, and if you are, you just laugh along or ignore it!

As for not eating like a "fatty", try to keep that up at Uni. It's so easy to eat badly - my housemates are still terrible after 2 years!
If you're that insecure you shouldn't be going to Uni because all your insecurities will get highlighted and you will drive your self crazy.
In stead in working on your body how about working on being happy with who you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Katie_p
You'll be fine then. Obviously losing weight is the best option because it's healthy AND will make you feel better, but if you can take the occasional weight-related insult there's really nothing to worry about.

Hanging about with the "lad" groups might get you offended more often as people comment on how all the fat girls are such sluts because they're desperate to get laid or something similar, but if you're not into that sort of thing it doesn't matter at all, and if you are, you just laugh along or ignore it!

As for not eating like a "fatty", try to keep that up at Uni. It's so easy to eat badly - my housemates are still terrible after 2 years!

I'm a lad btw, I dunno, I'm just concerned haha.
Reply 8
I'm a lad btw, I dunno, I'm just concerned haha.

Even less to be worried about then! :biggrin: (sorry!)
Reply 9
Insanity bro. That is all. Google it.
Reply 10
Original post by Mari Roberts
If you're that insecure you shouldn't be going to Uni because all your insecurities will get highlighted and you will drive your self crazy.
In stead in working on your body how about working on being happy with who you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to be clear, my weight isn't the only thing wrong with me- I have many other flaws. Such as my teeth aren't the right shade of white. If I worried about all of these things constantly I wouldn't leave the house. Not doing isn't an option, 'carpe diem' and all that crap. I wouldn't say I'm insecure, but I would say I'm mindful of my faults. But ultimately, I'm happy in myself.

It's just when there's a load of skinny bitches around to remind me how fat I am that I have slight insecurity lol.
Reply 11
I'm sure no one will care, it's university not primary school!
Reply 12
This attempt to be funny is pathetic. You could have chosen so many different pathways and still achieved a greater standard of humour.
-Must try better-

Naa, it was amusing.
Reply 13
Original post by McFlury
Naa, it was amusing.

Well maybe, but he could have followed a different pathway and made it even more amusing.

I'm not saying it wasn't funny at all, but I personally would have switched it up a bit and made a fat-joke that wasn't typical of the form.
Almost everyone was fat in my halls at uni! I was one of the smallest people there and I'm not skinny!
Just to be clear, my weight isn't the only thing wrong with me- I have many other flaws. Such as my teeth aren't the right shade of white. If I worried about all of these things constantly I wouldn't leave the house. Not doing isn't an option, 'carpe diem' and all that crap. I wouldn't say I'm insecure, but I would say I'm mindful of my faults. But ultimately, I'm happy in myself.

It's just when there's a load of skinny bitches around to remind me how fat I am that I have slight insecurity lol.

The fact is we all do even skinny bitches thinks that bitch is skinnier than this bitch. Just not everyone starts a forum about it. Were Teens were meant to be heat up about our looks. Thats what moulds you in to an adult. Being so pissed at feeling your not worth it that u give up or change what you don't like. And then you decide ahh I've tried everything so duck it I'll become my mum or my dad. :tongue: Just call me Sense (duck isn't actually duck btw)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Why should a guy be so worried about how fat he is when he is in a room full of "skinny bitches"? Are you competing with the skinny bitches or something? IOW are you gay?
Reply 17
Original post by osasman
Why should a guy be so worried about how fat he is when he is in a room full of "skinny bitches"? Are you competing with the skinny bitches or something? IOW are you gay?

No, not gay.
And I use the term bitch to characterize everyone. Not just women.
Reply 18
No, not gay.
And I use the term bitch to characterize everyone. Not just women.

Are you also an expert in making assumptions with no foundation, please indicate how a care for one's looks indicates that one likes male bum bum?
Reply 19
Original post by Mari Roberts

Posted from TSR Mobile

If she pushes herself to lose weight she'll gain self confidence from the success tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending