The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No - I think it should be scrapped. The thumbs up/down should remain but just as an indicator of which posts are popular or disliked; there's no need for them to count towards an overall score. I think a rep system just encourages rep-whore posts and a culture of everyone trying their hardest to be witty or controversial. Not to mention the inevitable hostility between members who neg one another, particularly subscribers who strangely seem to believe they are 'above' negs.
It doesn't really bother me much. It does make trolls obvious though.
Reply 3
Wouldn't care if it were scrapped tomorrow.

The rep system used to be fun back when you could get flashing disco gems - only 60000 points needed! :p:
Although its nice to have positive rep, but im not obsessed by it or anything.
Reply 5
Yes and it get low when I get loads of negs
What do you think?
I used to, but not anymore.
Reply 8
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. About rep that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I don't care how many red/green fingers do I receive on my posts as everyone has the right to express their view. It doesn't mean if a person has a lot of negative rep, he's a terrible person, maybe someone for purpose negs his/her posts or vice versa.
Original post by SpiggyTopes
It doesn't really bother me much. It does make trolls obvious though.

Yeah it makes trolls obvious.
I want the rep system to be completely abolished to be honest. But the thumbs up/down should remain.
Original post by ForgetMe
I don't care how many red/green fingers do I receive on my posts as everyone has the right to express their view. It doesn't mean if a person has a lot of negative rep, he's a terrible person, maybe someone for purpose negs his/her posts or vice versa.

Classy post, +1 !
Reply 12
Original post by maskofsanity
No - I think it should be scrapped. The thumbs up/down should remain but just as an indicator of which posts are popular or disliked; there's no need for them to count towards an overall score. I think a rep system just encourages rep-whore posts and a culture of everyone trying their hardest to be witty or controversial. Not to mention the inevitable hostility between members who neg one another, particularly subscribers who strangely seem to believe they are 'above' negs.

I've never received the impression that subs think they are "above" negs (well, perhaps one sub a number of years ago), though many do like to know the reason why they were negged. I sometimes ask for clarification myself, simply because I want to know if I made a mistake in my post/wasn't clear enough. People are free to ignore my request for an explanation and there'll be no ill feeling.

Original post by Democracy
Wouldn't care if it were scrapped tomorrow.

The rep system used to be fun back when you could get flashing disco gems - only 60000 points needed! :p:

:ditto: The disco gems were awesome. Also I felt the gold gems went nicely with the (sort of) gold in my avatar and Northumbrian flag.

As for whether I'm bothered about my rep....yes and no. I'm not bothered about my actual gems and rep value, but I do care about rep in the sense that it's always nice when someone likes your post or appreciates advice given and does this through a rep comment or PM. However, under the new rep system it's very rare that someone will leave a comment. Instead you just get a rather soulless thumbs up. I'd rather they just said thanks in the thread, and give rep to someone who actually needs it/wants it to be honest :p:
oh yes!!!!!!! very!!!!!!!!!!!
i want a real good rep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I like the feeling of logging in to see someone's thumbed up one of my posts, but that's about it really, makes me feel like at least somebody is reading what I post :rolleyes:. I don't care much for the gems myself, but it gives a good indication as to who is respected and who is a troll haha.
Reply 15
Negative correlation between penis size and no. of gems
Reply 16
Original post by Albino
Negative correlation between penis size and no. of gems

Yes, that's certainly true in my case :frown:
Original post by ConstantlyStressed
Intrigued. People - subscribers, mainly - always obsess over rep and how many they've got, and how many green gems they've got, which is just sad to me, but it's evidently not to them.
So are TSR pos reps or negs important to you?

Yes it bothers me, when l speak my opinion and get "negged" for it. Am i meant to lie for the sake of gaining some positive rep ??? ... btw can some please Rep me up .. that little red gem next to my name makes me feel like there is a banner over my head warding people away from my truthful advice.
I don't personally care much about the red/green bar things.

As has been said above, comments are much more useful, even more so for negative rep. If I'm being unclear or I've made a mistake, it would be much more helpful if people let me know in a constructive way rather than just giving me a thumbs down. Constructive criticism can help people to write more useful posts in future. You also get the idiots who neg just because a few others did, which penalises the poster for just making a mistake (rather than being rude or a troll or whatever).

Positive rep is definitely still a good idea, it stops the forum being cluttered up with people just saying 'thanks'.
Reply 19
Original post by Bullet Knuckle
Yes it bothers me, when l speak my opinion and get "negged" for it. Am i meant to lie for the sake of gaining some positive rep ??? ... btw can some please Rep me up .. that little red gem next to my name makes me feel like there is a banner over my head warding people away from my truthful advice.

Agreed

Latest

Trending

Trending