The Student Room Group

Stop Cooking Live Animals.

https://www.change.org/petitions/stop-cooking-live-animals

Please sign. Thanks.

Open the link at your own risk. Contains upsetting image.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, because everyone who owns livestock also owns an animal taser and all the necessary equipment to kill them with the proper western procedure before consumption
Original post by Casserole
Yeah, because everyone who owns livestock also owns an animal taser and all the necessary equipment to kill them with the proper western procedure before consumption

What? All you need to kill an animal semi-humanely is a knife. I don't think boiling them alive is ever necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by Octohedral
What? All you need to kill an animal semi-humanely is a knife. I don't think boiling them alive is ever necessary.

And many/most do. There's no "proper" way of killing the meat you are about to consume. It's all very well saying "oh look at those evil Chinese they hate animals" from our central heated, mains powered homes with kitchens and cookers and ovens and stoves... look at the picture - it looks like some backwater village dump.

It's obvious these folk are living off the land. They use the tools they have. Some will chuck them in boiling water because they don't have to clean the blood. Some will slit their throats because they need to eat them in pieces. If this was some abbatoir or processing area for killing and prepping meat to be sold in a market or whatever, then yes I'm far more inclined to pressure governments to stop this practice, do it "properly".

But the purpose of this petition (and similar ones, usually directed at China) is to pressurise their government to stop simple, poor (and I mean poor) people who live off the land from doing what they've always done.

Give them a house with a kitchen and white goods, they will change their habits.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
And many/most do. There's no "proper" way of killing the meat you are about to consume. It's all very well saying "oh look at those evil Chinese they hate animals" from our central heated, mains powered homes with kitchens and cookers and ovens and stoves... look at the picture - it looks like some backwater village dump.

It's obvious these folk are living off the land. They use the tools they have. Some will chuck them in boiling water because they don't have to clean the blood. Some will slit their throats because they need to eat them in pieces. If this was some abbatoir or processing area for killing and prepping meat to be sold in a market or whatever, then yes I'm far more inclined to pressure governments to stop this practice, do it "properly".

But the purpose of this petition (and similar ones, usually directed at China) is to pressurise their government to stop simple, poor (and I mean poor) people who live off the land from doing what they've always done.

Give them a house with a kitchen and white goods, they will change their habits.

Their is no excuse for being barbaric. They know what they are doing, they just don't care. I have witnessed a goat being killed for food in Spain. The goatherder who did it was as humane as possible using a sharp knife to cut the neck artery, whilst holding the animal in a firm but unharmful way. The goat showed little sign of distress, did not struggle and died very quickly.
Reply 5

Did you not click on the link and see dogs being blanched in boiling water ready to be used as food for human consumption? They blanch them in hot boiling water still alive so that the meat tastes better when cooked. This is barbaric. Stop making excuses.
Original post by Martyn*
https://www.change.org/petitions/stop-cooking-live-animals

Please sign. Thanks.

Open the link at your own risk. Contains upsetting image.

I'll cook whatever I damn please however I damn please, are you going to feed me? No, well then shut the hell up.
Reply 7
This is so upsetting, I can't believe people even do such things without feeling guilt. Disgusting.
Reply 8
Original post by Aliccam
Their is no excuse for being barbaric. They know what they are doing, they just don't care. I have witnessed a goat being killed for food in Spain. The goatherder who did it was as humane as possible using a sharp knife to cut the neck artery, whilst holding the animal in a firm but unharmful way. The goat showed little sign of distress, did not struggle and died very quickly.

Like I said, they're simple peoples, with few tools and no education. They will always be like that. Who are you to say how they should cook the food they've cooked for all their lives???

A similar argument is the white world telling eskimos and those who live in Greenland/near the Artic to stop clubbing baby seals, whales etc. for human consumption. they don't realise they don't have goats, cows and pigs there.
Reply 9
Original post by Martyn*
Did you not click on the link and see dogs being blanched in boiling water ready to be used as food for human consumption? They blanch them in hot boiling water still alive so that the meat tastes better when cooked. This is barbaric. Stop making excuses.

Buy them an oven, a stove, a lifetimes supply of fuel and teach them how to use them - if they still don't stop it, then sure they're barbaric.

Until then, get off your high horse
Reply 10
Buy them an oven, a stove, a lifetimes supply of fuel and teach them how to use them - if they still don't stop it, then sure they're barbaric.

Until then, get off your high horse

Stop trolling. :rolleyes:
Original post by Martyn*

Of course. Can't respond logically > call them a troll
Reply 12
Like I said, they're simple peoples, with few tools and no education. They will always be like that. Who are you to say how they should cook the food they've cooked for all their lives???

A similar argument is the white world telling eskimos and those who live in Greenland/near the Artic to stop clubbing baby seals, whales etc. for human consumption. they don't realise they don't have goats, cows and pigs there.

I can't believe they don't have anything as basic as a knife. I have no problem with people killing animals for food, and in many cases clothing. Clubbing seals is relatively humane, boiling alive must be apparent to anyone that is is unnecessarily cruel.
I don't think anyone should be cruel rich. poor educated or not.
I suppose you would still be happy with natives eating each other under your philosophy.
Reply 13
Of course. Can't respond logically > call them a troll

There's only one way to respond to that. And that it is to say it like it is.
Reply 14
Original post by Martyn*

It's still true. If they had the nessecary tools AND KNOWLEDGE of realising this action will cause the animal to suffer then they will stop.

WE can clearly see this photo is taken from some distant village and probably doesn't HAVE electricity. How can you blame them due to infomation failure?

Is this worse than Unit 731 doing live vivisections without anastethics?
Reply 15
Original post by Aliccam
I can't believe they don't have anything as basic as a knife. I have no problem with people killing animals for food, and in many cases clothing. Clubbing seals is relatively humane, boiling alive must be apparent to anyone that is is unnecessarily cruel.
I don't think anyone should be cruel rich. poor educated or not.
I suppose you would still be happy with natives eating each other under your philosophy.

They have a knife. They just lack the knowledge we have!
Can't you see? They are poor peasants living for hundreds of generations and surviving like that. They just follow that routine on a day to day basis. If you want to change you would need to educate them! Not start barking like a wild dog.

If you REALLY want a petition. Go and research on whaling and shark hunting. The Japanese are the bbiggest producers of whale oil, meat and shark fins. DO you know how such a civilised country hunt then? They get a dozen or so harpoons, fire it at their heads and drag them on, bleeding, in pain for 30 odd miles until they are tire out. Then they fish them onto deck and cut their fins off. How do they dispose of them? Dump them back in the sea, and let them drown in the nets, unable to swim, unable to move and in immense pain.

http://www.japanprobe.com/2011/02/15/japans-shark-fin-trade/

LOOK AT THAT:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295303/Dead-hundreds-factory-floor-sharks-slaughtered-Japan-use-fins-soup.html

So you bunch of people decide to campaign against a bunch of peasants who are uneducated and unaware of something called "animal rights" yet not attack Japan for this cruel business. And keep in mind - these Japanese are highly educated and aware of all these high morals you speak off. So why not persuade them to give it up and stop torturing the innocent sharks?
Reply 16
Original post by Aliccam

They just know they are killing the livestock
They are uneducated about these so called morals and animal rights
If you truly want to change them, donate money to educate them. Or even become a teacher and do it yourself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295303/Dead-hundreds-factory-floor-sharks-slaughtered-Japan-use-fins-soup.html

Civilised Japanese, dragging sharks for miles with dozen of harpoons stuck in them. Why don't you petition against that instead? Eh?
Reply 17
Original post by Sitrix
It's still true. If they had the nessecary tools AND KNOWLEDGE of realising this action will cause the animal to suffer then they will stop.

WE can clearly see this photo is taken from some distant village and probably doesn't HAVE electricity. How can you blame them due to infomation failure?

Is this worse than Unit 731 doing live vivisections without anastethics?

What? And let them kill dogs by sending them into electric ovens instead?? What tools? What are you talking about? I'm talking about the killing of dogs, not what cooking methods they should be using. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by Sitrix
They just know they are killing the livestock
They are uneducated about these so called morals and animal rights
If you truly want to change them, donate money to educate them. Or even become a teacher and do it yourself.

I don't mind how is stopped, either way it is obvious to anyone it is wrong. They are not just killing livestock they are torturing it first.

Civilised Japanese, dragging sharks for miles with dozen of harpoons stuck in them. Why don't you petition against that instead? Eh?

Show me where to sign!
Reply 19
Original post by Martyn*
What? And let them kill dogs by sending them into electric ovens instead?? What tools? What are you talking about? I'm talking about the killing of dogs, not what cooking methods they should be using. :rolleyes:

Cooking methods right?
So you're against them boiling them alive?
You believe that they should kill the animal first e.g. Sliting their throat?

Well why don't you educate them about the immense pain the animal will be in first? This is culture - and it doesn't just happen in China, it happens everywhere in the East.

If you can influence them to change their cooking methods, then do so. Writing a petition to the blah blah blah Ambassadors wouldn't do anything - they can't influence 500 million peasants to sudden stop doing it! And they certainly don't have the ability to make it complusory. So you tell me, how does signing a petition help at all? These stuff takes time, as people get richer and richer, they will be more ecuated on these matters. Slowly these inhumane cooking methods will cease to exist. Threatening to not visit their country is just a frail method!

If you lot of people think that it can be change overnight through name signings, then go on! I'm just saying these things takes time, money and education of the next generation. By not being tourists, you're actually making the problem worse - Lack of income, no money to send kids off to schools. They remian in villages, and carry on these traditions. Simple can't you see the cycle? To break this cycle they need money to educate themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending