The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I cry at night because my rep is so low
Nope.

I'd be gutted if they took the individual post thumbs though. It's a quick way to skim through a thread to read the best/worst posts.

Edit: Charlotte's point above about it avoiding thanks posts is also good.

Also, regarding getting a neg just for voicing an opinion. Sometimes don't you want to let people know you disagree without getting involved in a stupid flame war?

Original post by Democracy
Wouldn't care if it were scrapped tomorrow.

The rep system used to be fun back when you could get flashing disco gems - only 60000 points needed! :p:

The highest repped members had a really exciting array of colours back then! :yep:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
I regard the gems as a tangible reminder of the gratitude of so many TSR folk for my advice on their sexual difficulties
Reply 23
Yes. Green is my favourite colour. :redface:
Ha, its funny how no one is actually admitting that they care about their rep :lol:
Original post by Coffeegirl
Ha, its funny how no one is actually admitting that they care about their rep :lol:

Do you? I mean really, in the grand scheme of things, it means utterly sod all.
A forum which finally discuss the controversial system. No, it is not important for me, especially I have the impression that some of the ratings are very arbitrary. Moreover I don't still know the utility/advantage of the system.
Reply 27
Original post by Kallisto
A forum which finally discuss the controversial system.

It's discussed almost every day of the week to be honest. There've been many threads,

Moreover I don't still know the utility/advantage of the system.

In theory to reward the most helpful and constructive members. In theory. It can also be useful to detect those most likely to troll (the theory being those with large red are more likely to post rubbish and be trolls). However, even this isn't perfect as there are some whose negative reputation is undeserved. I had a fair amount of red when I first joined, simply because I posted some things that went "against the grain" and angered some high repped subs. Though more people pos repped me than neg repped me, those who gave neg rep had more power. But I soon got back into the green so the system does work.

Note I'm also not saying that people with neg rep, who do occasionally troll, aren't incapable of making sensible and constructive posts. Many do.

So I do stress in theory. Unfortunately with the new rep system many just seem to "lol rep", and good and constructive responses are often ignored simply because they aren't funny enough.
Original post by ConstantlyStressed
Intrigued. People - subscribers, mainly - always obsess over rep and how many they've got, and how many green gems they've got, which is just sad to me, but it's evidently not to them.
So are TSR pos reps or negs important to you?

Nope, don't care about it.
Original post by River85
x

To sum up your comment: it would be a good rating system, if there are enough objective and sophisticated members who know how to use this system. But unfortunately I have made the experience that some of them are too arbitrary and incapable to know when it is appropriate to give a rating. In theory all members have the sensitivity to give the right rating to the right time. But in fact they are too subjective and too stupid in part to use it correctly. Mostly I'm not able to understand the rating no matter whether positive or negative.
Reply 30
The best type of rep is ironic rep! :cool:
Original post by mikeyd85
Do you? I mean really, in the grand scheme of things, it means utterly sod all.

I do get a thrill out of getting green arrows. I care to admit :smile:
It's good to get feedback on your posts, whether good or bad. I always appreciate good rep, and try to work out what made someone neg a particular comment.

But I don't see the point really in it contributing to an overall 'score', like many before me have said.
Original post by ConstantlyStressed
Intrigued. People - subscribers, mainly - always obsess over rep and how many they've got, and how many green gems they've got, which is just sad to me, but it's evidently not to them.
So are TSR pos reps or negs important to you?

-___-. idk.
I wouldn't care if it were scrapped, it only shows an indicator of whether your posts conform to TSR social convention. I have 7 green gems which shows my views tend to be supported by much of TSR. If I post on Yahoo News or DailyMail i will be negged to Kingdom come. The issues are:

- People write posts to whore rep (either positve or negative) which may not represent their views, but just TSR conventional views.

- People with low rep are often unrespected in debates even if their point is valid because their views are associated with trolling and mischief.
Original post by Muscovite
I always make a point of negging subscribers; just for the outraged messages I get off them

For the trullz :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by Kallisto
To sum up your comment: it would be a good rating system, if there are enough objective and sophisticated members who know how to use this system. But unfortunately I have made the experience that some of them are too arbitrary and incapable to know when it is appropriate to give a rating. In theory all members have the sensitivity to give the right rating to the right time. But in fact they are too subjective and too stupid in part to use it correctly. Mostly I'm not able to understand the rating no matter whether positive or negative.

Of course there's going to be an element of subjectiveness/arbitaryness. By its very nature. What one person may find funny or just generally rep worthy, another might not.

The difficult with the rep change is that it's also easier to accidentally give rep (whether pos or neg) accidentally. So some of the "arbitrary" reps you get were possibly arbitrary.
Nope.
I don't care to be honest. I'm intrigued to know who rated me positively/negatively but since I can't I don't pay much attention to it.

Personally, I tend to give more positive gems than negative. But it's just because sometimes I'm too lazy to answer and I use it as a way to express my agreement.
Reply 39
Never understood rep on forums. No need for it really. Like one big pissing contest.

Latest

Trending

Trending