The Student Room Group

My Ucas has been hacked!!! :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Savvy Sage
There must be a way to IP check the last logins?

Won't necessarily get you anywhere. Even if you have the ip, and the ISP provides the location of that ip at whatever time the account was accessed this is unlikely to enable tracing of the offender because usually they chain proxies and/or use anonymity networks. Unless whoever accessed the account was not familiar with this.
Original post by tooosh
The beuraucracy involved in getting meaningful information from an IP address would be too much. Plus they can't act on the fact a different IP range withdrew the application.

Perhaps but at least we can verify if this vagabond has been doing the same to others? Furthermore, you could compare the IP used for registration/credit card details with the one used to withdraw the application. I'm sure that would make it a criminal offense?
Reply 22
Hey,

phone the universities first thing tomorrow! who ever did this is a horrid person :frown: no one would withdraw their own ucas for 'jokes', only if they were serious about not going to uni this year/or for that course.
I hope it works out for you. I'm sure they'll understand.
Reply 23
Perhaps but at least we can verify if this vagabond has been doing the same to others? Furthermore, you could compare the IP used for registration/credit card details with the one used to withdraw the application. I'm sure that would make it a criminal offense?

Yes but even with this it is unlikely that someone could be traced. Hackers are usually able to mask their ip very well.
Original post by Ateo
Yes but even with this it is unlikely that someone could be traced. Hackers are usually able to mask their ip very well.

True but if OP left details logged in, OP can find out where the incident(s) initially took place. The fact that the IP is masked suggests malicious intent and might help support OP's case?
Reply 25
Should of been more careful. Maybe next time you will.
I think they stole your offers, u can do that
You could locate the location of the hacker through the ip address which last logged in on your account. Long winded though.
Reply 28
I have never opened or accessed my Ucas account anywhere a part from home. Which is why I am worried because I don't know where they have got my details from. 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile
Contact the universities immediately (or as soon as possible) and tell them it wasn't you who withdrew. Additionally, make it clear that it was hacked and it had no responsibility to do with yourself, and you didn't withdraw your offers. They should still consider you, as you aren't responsible and they would be missing a potential applicant.
Original post by study beats
I think they stole your offers, u can do that

What? How is that even possible?

No I'm not getting any ideas :smile:
Original post by FloydRix

I pity you, ignorant moron.
Original post by JediArron
What? How is that even possible?

No I'm not getting any ideas :smile:

Programme hacking my friend...

If they had a Cambridge offer, lol peak times for them!
Original post by Doctorwho
I don't know why someone would withdraw it. I just don't know what to do. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

stop whining on tsr and speak to them, we can do jack-all to help so just contact them. Good god the people on tsr these days. Think for yourself for once and grow a spine or 2 people.
Reply 34
True but if OP left details logged in, OP can find out where the incident(s) initially took place. The fact that the IP is masked suggests malicious intent and might help support OP's case?

Yes I agree, if the account was logged in then whoever did this may be found. I'm not sure if you know what I mean by 'masked'. What I'm trying to say is that the person responsible could have hidden their actual ip by routing their network traffic through networks all around the world, each with a different ip, and the ip that would be shown on UCAS would be that of the last 'node' of the network through which the internet traffic is routed. If you're interested read about 'TOR', it will give you an idea of one kind of an anonymity network.
Ah mate :frown: hope it gets sorted! Ring every uni you've applied to in the morning, explain the situation, then follow it up with an email - tell them on the phone you're going to do this so that it's also logged in writing. Don't go into college or sixth form or wherever in the morning until you've sorted this out - they will understand!
Reply 36
Original post by Doctorwho
I have never opened or accessed my Ucas account anywhere a part from home. Which is why I am worried because I don't know where they have got my details from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very horrible to hear about the hacking incident.

Phone UCAS , and TRULY speak to them commandingly on the phone. Show them how serious this is.

Phone up ALL your universities admissions, hilight this is an emergency, and someone has somehow hacked your UCAS.

Get your school into contact, try to get them to trace the IP address.

Do all of this as soon as you can. And hang in there, everything will be fine if the system is at all fair.
Original post by cleveradam
You could locate the location of the hacker through the ip address which last logged in on your account. Long winded though.

Only UCAS will have that information.
Any publicly available means of tracing the location of an IP is only good for telling you the right country. Anything more specific than that is really hit and miss. You'd need the relevant internet provider to investigate it.
Any hacker who knows what they're doing will have hidden their real IP address anyway.

If the OP wants to go down that route, they need to get UCAS to look into the account being hacked. There's nothing they can do about it themselves :nah:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by study beats
Programme hacking my friend...

If they had a Cambridge offer, lol peak times for them!

Lol omg...
Original post by FloydRix

What an awful thing to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending