The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is this sexist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacob :)
I don't want to force anyone to do anything this is just what I'd prefer.

But gender stereotypes come straight from evolution. Men are evolved to be hunters and women to bear children. Denying that is absurd. Just look at the physical differences.

Thing is though, society has evolved much faster than we have biologically developed. We don't actually NEED to have some big and physically strong man to hunt for us. In fact these days, it's the men who can flex their brains rather than their muscles that can "provide" better than brute physical strength in modern times.

I think also that you are looking back at the 1950s through rose tinted glasses too. Women used to die through backstreet abortions because of the shame of being pregnant out of wedlock. Divorce rates were low, not because people were necessarily happier, but that was the done thing, to stay together even if the relationship was dead, abusive or for example the shame that it would have been to be homosexual.

I don't think people should be holding marriage or staying together at all costs as this measure of success. I think if you are really desperately unhappy together, you're better off single rather than being shamed by society into staying together.

The 1950s was an oppressive, nasty era full of the worst racism, homophobia and sexism you could imagine. I imagine the success of 1940s and 1950s Hollywood was underpinned by the need for escapism from the misery/monotony of post war drudgery.

Another problem with tradition and convention is that it does tend to be rather inflexible and putting people into neat and tidy boxes just isn't how humanity works. I hate stereotypes and tradition/conservative attitudes perpetuate negative connotations of many different groups.
Reply 101
Original post by Steve1989
I can see you're not after a debate. You'll just keep repeating the same feminist nonsense. You couldn't rebute a single thing I said.

Everything I said was factual in nature. 'Gender roles' are most definitely evolutionary in nature. If they are not exactly WHEN did some men decide to construct them and oppress women?

If you think you made a good argument I've got news for you. However I really cannot be bothered to even start explaining why to you. The views you expressed and the way you did so suggests that any such efforts would be utterly futile.
Original post by Eveiebaby
Thing is though, society has evolved much faster than we have biologically developed. We don't actually NEED to have some big and physically strong man to hunt for us. In fact these days, it's the men who can flex their brains rather than their muscles that can "provide" better than brute physical strength in modern times.

I think also that you are looking back at the 1950s through rose tinted glasses too. Women used to die through backstreet abortions because of the shame of being pregnant out of wedlock. Divorce rates were low, not because people were necessarily happier, but that was the done thing, to stay together even if the relationship was dead, abusive or for example the shame that it would have been to be homosexual.

I don't think people should be holding marriage or staying together at all costs as this measure of success. I think if you are really desperately unhappy together, you're better off single rather than being shamed by society into staying together.

The 1950s was an oppressive, nasty era full of the worst racism, homophobia and sexism you could imagine. I imagine the success of 1940s and 1950s Hollywood was underpinned by the need for escapism from the misery/monotony of post war drudgery.

Another problem with tradition and convention is that it does tend to be rather inflexible and putting people into neat and tidy boxes just isn't how humanity works. I hate stereotypes and tradition/conservative attitudes perpetuate negative connotations of many different groups.

I agree I've never mentioned divorce on this thread. I don't see how I can oppress a women just by having preferences as to what I find attractive and how I'd prefer we live. This is just what I'd prefer.
Reply 103
Original post by Ronove
If you think you made a good argument I've got news for you.

I've made good arguments simply because I have stated the obvious, plain truth. No theories or hypotheses of my own, just historical truths.

Our society today, however, is not governed around revealing the truth to the masses. It's about political agendas and social engineering.
(edited 11 years ago)
Awesome. I wouldn't want you to end your career when we had kids. I don't think I'd ever want to take time off work for any sort of extended period of times though. I wouldn't be against getting a nanny but of course I'd like my wife to be "in charge" of it!

Yep haha like it sounds horrible but I don't see why men get paternity leave.. but yeah I'd get a nanny for when I went back to work haha :tongue:
Reply 105
Original post by alice.babee
Yep haha like it sounds horrible but I don't see why men get paternity leave.. but yeah I'd get a nanny for when I went back to work haha :tongue:

Men get paternity leave so they can help their wives/other halves in the first couple of weeks as they recover from childbirth, then they get sent back to work.

Why men should get paternity leave and how much is another issue entirely, it's for the same reason that women should get the length of maternity leave they do. Mothers do need typically a few weeks to recover from childbirth, but beyond that the emotional reasons for maternity leave apply to paternity leave also.
Reply 106
Original post by alice.babee

Omg seriously?

And people still claim feminism has a place in today's society...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree I've never mentioned divorce on this thread. I don't see how I can oppress a women just by having preferences as to what I find attractive and how I'd prefer we live. This is just what I'd prefer.

I didnt say that you were oppressing women with your preferences, but you seem to idealise a dynamic between men and women at a time where equality for all manners of people was pretty shoddy to put it lightly. To mimic that sort of household seems rather backwards and offensive to many. But of course just as you are free to have your preferences, I'm free to think that those preferences are a bit dark.

I do think you mentioned the breaking up of nuclear families/marriage failure as something that indicated the decline of society. Or that somehow things were rosier all round in the 50s and brought up an analogy of men being properly masculine in 50s films. Real life it aint - to aspire to that is somewhat ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ADfS8WQmw

Hell to the no!
Original post by Eveiebaby
I didnt say that you were oppressing women with your preferences, but you seem to idealise a dynamic between men and women at a time where equality for all manners of people was pretty shoddy to put it lightly. To mimic that sort of household seems rather backwards and offensive to many. But of course just as you are free to have your preferences, I'm free to think that those preferences are a bit dark.

I do think you mentioned the breaking up of nuclear families/marriage failure as something that indicated the decline of society. Or that somehow things were rosier all round in the 50s and brought up an analogy of men being properly masculine in 50s films. Real life it aint - to aspire to that is somewhat ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ADfS8WQmw

Hell to the no!

I never said anything about the families breakdown effecting society. I don't care about other families that much. You must be mistaking me for someone else on the thread.
Absolutely ridiculous.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ed-
Omg seriously?

And people still claim feminism has a place in today's society...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're seriously going to say that one person's opinion is representative of feminism as a whole yeah?

No wonder it gets such a bad rep...
You have something against men who sit at home and look after small children? :unimpressed:
Reply 112
not sexist at all, you understand both genders really well, a women's body is weaker than a mans and it's proved not that she can't mow the lawn etc. but it's better for her not to and rather take care of her body...a child needs its mother more than the father so you'd be making the right decision there as well...the girl you'd marry is going to be one lucky girl you know 😅
Reply 113
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
You're seriously going to say that one person's opinion is representative of feminism as a whole yeah?

No wonder it gets such a bad rep...

No.
That view just sums up feminism and why it's unnecessary.
Reply 114
Original post by ed-
No.
That view just sums up feminism and why it's unnecessary.

I don't see how her post represents feminism at all...?

Edit: For one thing, most feminists are absolutely in favour of paternity leave being extended...
Reply 115
Original post by Ronove
I don't see how her post represents feminism at all...?

Edit: For one thing, most feminists are absolutely in favour of paternity leave being extended...

It represents the complete hypocrisy of it
Reply 116
Original post by ed-
It represents the complete hypocrisy of it

How.
Original post by ForgetMe
You have something against men who sit at home and look after small children? :unimpressed:

No. It's just not what I'd want to do.
Got a couple of things and I wonder if they're considered sexist:

Women swearing: I generally find it very unattractive as I find swearing aggressive and vulgar which I don't think are attractive traits for a woman to have.

Gender specific tasks: In a marridge I would prefer that we sticked to gender defined household tasks. I would clean the car, take out rubbish, mow the lawn etc while my wife would iron, Hoover etc. This isn't just because I wouldn't want to do 'feminine' jobs but I wouldn't want my wife doing 'masculine' ones that are more dirty and physically hard because if she was I would feel like I wasn't being a good husband by making her from such un lady like tasks.

Staying home with the baby: I would work because I would want to provide for my wife and baby. I wouldn't feel like a good husband if I allowed my wife to work while I looked after the baby.

I know these views are old fashioned and I wouldn't enforce them with an iron fist but are they sexist? Is wanting to provide for and protect your wife sexist? Is wanting a lady to act feminine sexist?

These aren't really old fashioned. In practice, this is how things generally are for most households.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Algorithm69
Two people agreeing that their marriage will be based on traditional gender roles is not wrong and it's not sexist. I'm sick to the back teeth of feminists supposedly championing a woman's freedom to live her life as she pleases and then throwing a hissy fit when those choices don't conform to their views.

Exactly! I find this is the general attitude of so-called "liberals". They are liberal as long as you conform to their view. They are, in fact, the opposite of liberal.

IMO, the ones who complain about this are probably bitter, and they will look on in envy at the woman with a child and husband...mark my words, this is what most women will eventually want, even if they are loathe to admit it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending