The Student Room Group

First car - Corsa vs Fiesta vs Suggestions?

I have my test in a couple of weeks and I'm pretty confident I have a good chance :smile:

i'm 18 and my budget for a car is just over 2,000 quid so i'm looking at cars from 2002-2005 with about 60,000 on the clock.

i'm stuck between the fiesta 1.4 and the corsa-c 1.2, just wondering if any of you guys had any input to share.

its gonna be used for college three days a week and then shifting gear around whenever we have a gig (we're talking a couple of amps, guitars, cymbals etc, i can flatten the back seats for space i guess). Whichever is the more reliable would be nice to know too :smile:

cheers!
Reply 1
Nissan Micccrraaaaaaaaa

I'd get a Mk5 (2002-2009) Ford Fiesta if you can find a decent one. Mileage isn't that important as long as it's got good service history and has been well looked after.

Take into consideration tax, fuel economy and insurance. Older Fords generally aren't very good fuel wise city driving.
But i'd still rather have the Ford
Corsa, cheaper insurance (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Get one of these (a 1997 Fiesta Flight). £1000 to insure, 40 mpg, and its done 32500 miles since I bought it and it has not once let me down (although it will need a new clutch soon)
I didn't get a ford cause the old ones are rust buckets.

I have a Corsa, only a few tiny bits of rust, and not had many problems with it. (It's 2001, 120k on the clock)
Reply 5
Original post by bellytops
I have my test in a couple of weeks and I'm pretty confident I have a good chance :smile:

i'm 18 and my budget for a car is just over 2,000 quid so i'm looking at cars from 2002-2005 with about 60,000 on the clock.

i'm stuck between the fiesta 1.4 and the corsa-c 1.2, just wondering if any of you guys had any input to share.

its gonna be used for college three days a week and then shifting gear around whenever we have a gig (we're talking a couple of amps, guitars, cymbals etc, i can flatten the back seats for space i guess). Whichever is the more reliable would be nice to know too :smile:

cheers!

Toyota Yaris :smile:
Original post by Runninground
I didn't get a ford cause the old ones are rust buckets.

I have a Corsa, only a few tiny bits of rust, and not had many problems with it. (It's 2001, 120k on the clock)

I've g ot a 1.4 SRI Corsa C myself, 84000 miles. It's in perfect condition! 120K mileage could be a death trap, and it could just be the same as driving around in a car with 50K that has been ragged!
Original post by Anthony.BF
I've g ot a 1.4 SRI Corsa C myself, 84000 miles. It's in perfect condition! 120K mileage could be a death trap, and it could just be the same as driving around in a car with 50K that has been ragged!

It has a few problems. The gears grind when going into 1st once a month or so, the battery has flattened itself twice for no reason since I got it, and i've only had to replace one part of it. That's literally all the problems it has. Other than those, it drives fine, just like a normal car. Not many dents in it either, which is great for an 11 year old car! (It was owned by a small family before me, so they kept it in gear condition)

And for the price I paid it was a steal! I saw some Corsas well into the £1,000's in much worse condition.:colondollar:
Reply 8
You'll get more car for your money with a Corsa, but they're arguably less reliable than a Fiesta. Vauxhall is not what they once were.

Personally, I'd never buy one, but my mum might be giving me hers later in the year. I wouldn't turn down a free car... at least it's a bit nippy even if not completely comfortable.

If the Corsa is an SXI, then it'll probs be quicker than a Fiesta. It has a slightly tuned-up engine, so it'll do 0-60 in 12s. Not brilliant, but perfectly usable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Fiesta, definately. I love mine (2006 Fiesta freedom, 47kmiles however it did cost £3200 :s-smilie:), I prefer the fiesta because there arn't that many of them in my sixth forms car park, however there are loads of the chavtastic Corsa's. Also if you are looking at that age of cars the Fiesta looks sooooooo much nicer.
I have a Fiesta and I love it! Really practical for it's size, looks good, cheap to run, quite spritely, can't fault it. (2008 but older version, Fiesta Style Climate 5dr 1.25L Petrol 40k miles)
Reply 11
Can't speak for the Corsa but I had a Fiesta as a courtesy car for a couple of weeks and it was a beautiful car to drive. I normally had a Renault Clio which was exceptionally reliable (drove it to work five days a week for four years with regular trips down and up the M6 to Cheshire from Lancashire and back, never had a problem, reason it was in the garage was 'cause some moron drove into me). Clio's are a bit expensive insurance-wise though. I had a 2001 Clio Expression 1.2 and it was fab. Heard good things about Corsas but I'm biased towards the Fiesta because the one I had was so much fun to drive, nice and light and had a decent boot size too (I forget which model it was, think it may have been a Style though).
Reply 12
Original post by Andaxay
Can't speak for the Corsa but I had a Fiesta as a courtesy car for a couple of weeks and it was a beautiful car to drive. I normally had a Renault Clio which was exceptionally reliable (drove it to work five days a week for four years with regular trips down and up the M6 to Cheshire from Lancashire and back, never had a problem, reason it was in the garage was 'cause some moron drove into me). Clio's are a bit expensive insurance-wise though. I had a 2001 Clio Expression 1.2 and it was fab. Heard good things about Corsas but I'm biased towards the Fiesta because the one I had was so much fun to drive, nice and light and had a decent boot size too (I forget which model it was, think it may have been a Style though).

Forgot to add that in my post. The boot is huge for the size of car. I folded the seats down (they fold flat) and I could put my bike in there easily. You could probably sleep in there quite comfortably :wink:.
The Corsa! I got a 1.25litre Ford Fiesta 55 plate when I passed my test in December and had to see it because the cheapest I could get my insurance down to was £2300 for TPFT with my Dad as a named driver. I checked out a 1litre Corsa 09 plate and was quoted £1600 for full comp so a Corsa will be much cheaper to insure especially comparing to a 1.4 Fiesta. I had to sell my Fiesta and now I'm away to get a 1litre Peugeot 107 61 plate which I am going to be £1350 full comp to insure!
I drive a 55 plate Fiesta (Mk6), it's a lovely car to drive. Really roomy, feels a solid drive. I'm a gigging musician as well, so have to transport my kit around in it, along with some synths and an amp on the odd occasion and it's perfectly fine for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I have a 2001 Fiesta. Bought it for £600 and I've had it for a year and it's now pushing 100k miles with the only problem I've had being seized breaks after I left it for 2 weeks with the handbrake on. It's pretty cheap to insure, cheap to run (mines a 1.3 petrol, full tank costs £45 max and gets me 300 miles). Mines a 5dr and it's a decent size inside and people can sit in the back comfortably, as well as having a decent size boot. Also got my dog in the boot with seats up, and both my dogs with seats down!

My mum had a corsa at one point, think it was an '05 or an '07, can't remember. It was alright but not as spacious as my fiesta. Alright looking car though.
Reply 16
I ve had fiesta 55 plate and corsa 55 plate. corsa is much better in every department don't listen to internet goons who have only drove one or the other. gear shaft on corsa smooth easy to use corsa awful and noisy, no kick to engine, noisy when driving you here every bump. theres no comparison corsa much better.. vauxhall are much better than ford.
Reply 17
Don't be a sheep. Hatchbacks are for morons with no imagination.
Get yourself a sports car.
Original post by jjf38
I ve had fiesta 55 plate and corsa 55 plate. corsa is much better in every department don't listen to internet goons who have only drove one or the other. gear shaft on corsa smooth easy to use corsa awful and noisy, no kick to engine, noisy when driving you here every bump. theres no comparison corsa much better.. vauxhall are much better than ford.

Roughly translated:

"I had sex with a ching chong chinaman called Ting Tong. We had a 55* in a Corsa and it was great. He had a great shaft with a smooth drive, but was very noisy"

The rest is illegible.

(*In China they have a 55, where as we would have a 69).

Personally I would go with which ever is cheapest if my budget was £2000. Go to price comparison websites and price up car insurance for each car. Get prices for TPO, Full Comp and TPFT as bizarrely TPO isn't always the cheapest. Do the same for breakdown insurance because getting your car towed can cost silly money.
Don't try to overtake stuff in a Corsa on a single carriageway road.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending