The Student Room Group

Worried about being fat at uni?

Scroll to see replies

If you read the thread you'd know she's a Lad tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is why I've lost three stone and am aiming to lose another two before uni. it's easy to control your intake, even if we eat junk everyday at university.
Original post by Luke Williams
The answer is simple. Yes - people will call you Fatty and hide their food away from your greedy chops...

Original post by Anonymous
This attempt to be funny is pathetic. You could have chosen so many different pathways and still achieved a greater standard of humour.
-Must try better-

I found it funny, think it was the term 'greedy chops'.
If you go clubbing or something you'll probably get abused a bit, drunk people can be ****s in my experience (I include myself in that,) but if you've got thick skin you'll be fine, there are plenty of people at uni that won't care you're fat.
Reply 24
Join the rugby soc.
Reply 25
Make sure that you budget yourself correctly, you might not be able to go if you don't have the right funds with your 'greedy chops'
I know this is vain, but I went to an open day and everyone is skinny; I think I was the fattest person there. I know I can loose weight, but I'm kind of concerned that I won't fit in there because of it.

Should I be?

OP, I will be honest with you: When people go to uni the word 'uni' itself sounds quite mature because you are going to a higher level of education and therefore it would be stupid to be immature and childish.

These kind of things are secondary school and maybe college problems, but in uni everyone is scared and you meet people from all over the world with many different and more serious health issues. You cant just lose weight for people not to call you fat. Do it for yourself and your own health and safety.

Students in uni should not be judging by looks, religion etc... It is a place where you get to know each other and communicate well so that you are able to be a stable personality in the real world of work. Do not let such issues get to you. Be confident and if you want to change, make a change to yourself, only then you can try to change others. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
If you are a lad not to worry, for some reason society accepts fat men more readily than women. Not really fair at all but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.... mmmm cookie. But yeah I know a few fat guys at university and people seem to view them as teddy bears and they don't really get abuse, no one except total knobs will call you fatty, most people mature from that after primary school.
Reply 28
Original post by DannyScott
Make sure that you budget yourself correctly, you might not be able to go if you don't have the right funds with your 'greedy chops'

Good thing the student overdraft is generous then. Also I've got an Amex for those miserable days when one reaches in to the KFC Bucket and retrieves nothing but air.
It really won't matter at all if you don't act like it's an issue. It's all about confidence. (Unless you're 27 stone?)

However, a lot of people use university as a transitional point to attaining their ideal youth and health. I know a lot of boys who came to university fat and left really fit. If you're ever going to get healthy now is the perfect time - start a decent gym routine, or running, and join some sports clubs, and enjoy being 18-25!!! :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Swanbow
If you are a lad not to worry, for some reason society accepts fat men more readily than women. Not really fair at all but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.... mmmm cookie. But yeah I know a few fat guys at university and people seem to view them as teddy bears and they don't really get abuse, no one except total knobs will call you fatty, most people mature from that after primary school.

I'm not even bothered about occasionally being called 'fatty' or a well time fat joke at my expense. Truthfully I have no idea why I'm worried- I never have been before- I think its just because being fat isnt good for my health.
Reply 31
I'm not even bothered about occasionally being called 'fatty' or a well time fat joke at my expense. Truthfully I have no idea why I'm worried- I never have been before- I think its just because being fat isnt good for my health.

You might get a bit of name calling from your mates but that's it. Not a major worry mate, I'm overweight too and don't feel as if I'm treated differently. Its not good for your health, take this as a kind of motivation to help get yourself healthier before university, might be the best encouragement you can get.
Reply 32
Original post by Shneaks
Loving life.

Don't start with me, I might be a 'gay' fatty but I'd still any internet war you put my way.
Reply 33
Don't start with me, I might be a 'gay' fatty but I'd still any internet war you put my way.

That's supposed to say, 'I'd still win'.

Fat finger issues.
Original post by sugarmouse
Almost everyone was fat in my halls at uni! I was one of the smallest people there and I'm not skinny!

That's amazing, because I am the biggest in my flat and one of the biggest people in my extended group of friends, and given that I am a size 10 I'm not exactly fat!
Reply 35
Your weight should only be taken into consideration if it's affecting your health. You will find friends even if you look like the elephant man I assume.
Reply 36
Original post by hermitthefrog
That's amazing, because I am the biggest in my flat and one of the biggest people in my extended group of friends, and given that I am a size 10 I'm not exactly fat!

What Uni do you go to out of interest?
Define fat

above the healthy amount?
What Uni do you go to out of interest?

It's in Scotland
Reply 39
Original post by PureDevotion
Define fat

above the healthy amount?

Depends, I have a BMI of 31.

So I'm obese. I don't feel obese, though, strangely, but I am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending