The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by study beats
why have i got -3 reputation? what have i done?

You haven't got -3, you only have 3 red gems. What are your actual points? It has to be at least over -200 to have 3 red gems.
Reply 101
Original post by Tyler Varona
You haven't got -3, you only have 3 red gems. What are your actual points? It has to be at least over -200 to have 3 red gems.

Wrong, you have to have -100 to get 3. I'm on -143 and I don't care, I don't like negs for no reason, and if I go below -200 I'm not particularly happy because I'm not really that controversial and that gets you 4 red gems! I can handle it but it hardly fills me with joy.

I just found a bit that really hacks me off! I have 1292 posts and my rep power is 0, the new guy with 1 post has a rep power of 1. I'm supposed to be 'Exalted and Worshipped' yet TSR values my post rating at nothing, that is not a cool feature.
(edited 11 years ago)
nope! :biggrin:
I like strawberries. That's my view on TSR rep.
Original post by Quilt
I like the feeling of logging in to see someone's thumbed up one of my posts, but that's about it really, makes me feel like at least somebody is reading what I post :rolleyes:. I don't care much for the gems myself, but it gives a good indication as to who is respected and who is a troll haha.

this
i like logging on to find a thumbs up :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by G8D
I enjoy pos and neg reps to an equal extent.

I still prefer the old comment based system though.

The only thing about negs I dislike is when people edit their posts after 2 or 3 negs asking "why all the negs lol :'(". That's pathetic.

'Why all the negs' edits: Sometimes you really want to know why people are giving you negs, out of curiosity. I've made comments that just randomly get loads of negs and there is seemingly no reason for it if no one quotes/replies.

Usually its on posts that really aren't controversial, negative or useless - just a normal post that spikes 15 negs for no reason.

Personally, I think its a pretty stupid system. People with populist views get rewarded. I understand its good for telling trolls apart - but you cant tell them apart from people who just don't agree with the majority so its not really very useful.

That said, I'm human so I like getting pos rep - I'm not going to lie. I don't change my posting to get it though.
Reply 106
No, but I don't like how the moralistic high grounders on TSR discredit anything you write because of having five red gems. If people don't agree with what I've said, then fair enough, but it doesn't make me a troll.

I've noticed that the people who have green gems sometimes post worthy threads or posts, but a lot of the time they just try to be funny or likeable to stroke their online ego.

Moral of this post: stick to your principles, my friends, and do not let TSR get you down!
Reply 107
why have i got -3 reputation? what have i done?

Do you post on politics?
Reply 108
Original post by Wattsy

I'm supposed to be 'Exalted and Worshipped' yet TSR values my post rating at nothing, that is not a cool feature.

Lol!

Original post by G8D

When you neg a sub and they appeal to you in PM or visitor messages as to why you negged them. It's so sad it's great :')

Someone just personally (yes, this just happened) sent me a PM, mentioning that they got 3+reps, thus their post is great and better than others; this has to be one of the moments where I genuinely :facepalm: + :teehee:

Only on TSR.

Original post by Tyler Varona
Obviously some people are lying to not decrease their "cool" points online.

Isn't it funny how its always the people with lots of green gems that are the first to point how little they care for rep? But when you neg one of their posts (subs in particular) just witness the ****storm that results in :rofl:

Also if nobody cared for rep, we'd never see people editing their posts with the usual "why have I been negged for this????!!!??" type question. :rofl:

:laugh:
Reply 109
Oh god, yes! I'm throwing a major party every time I get a new gem, feels like birthday and christmas at the same day!

:wink:
Original post by Wattsy
I just found a bit that really hacks me off! I have 1292 posts and my rep power is 0, the new guy with 1 post has a rep power of 1. I'm supposed to be 'Exalted and Worshipped' yet TSR values my post rating at nothing, that is not a cool feature.

New guy with 1 post has a rep power of 0. You cannot rep with power until you've reached a certain criteria IIRC. Rep power is directly related to the number of green gems you have. For instance, I can give people +9 or -9 rep per post. Those with red gems have a rep power of 0, no matter how far they are in to the red.

The Exalted and Worshipped thing is entirely related to post count.
Reply 111
I think most people like knowing that their opinion or advice has been appreciated and the rep system helps people get a sense of that. The people with negative rep tend to be either trolls or people with a strong political opinion. Although I don't necessarily think its fair that for example people who support the Tories to have red gems, its just something that is to be expected amongst a forum made up predominately of students who tend to be more left leaning in political beliefs and opinions. I'm sure that they don't lose sleep on over it, and neither should anyone really so long as they aren't being a douche about things.
Original post by Iron Lady
Do you post on politics?

yes i talk about military, politics, countries...but not in a way that will offend anyone?
Reply 113
Original post by mikeyd85
New guy with 1 post has a rep power of 0. You cannot rep with power until you've reached a certain criteria IIRC. Rep power is directly related to the number of green gems you have. For instance, I can give people +9 or -9 rep per post. Those with red gems have a rep power of 0, no matter how far they are in to the red.

The Exalted and Worshipped thing is entirely related to post count.

I knew it was related to gems and New Members normally have 1 green but I didn't know you needed a certain amount of posts for you to get a rep power. I still don't like the fact that TSR doesn't respect my pos/neg reps. Why is your opinion worth 9 and mine worth 0, it seems a little illogical. It's not a dig at you, you must be a quality member to breach the 9 gem parameters, they're huge. It's just that I want TSR to value me as a member and it doesn't.
Original post by Wattsy
Wrong, you have to have -100 to get 3. I'm on -143 and I don't care, I don't like negs for no reason, and if I go below -200 I'm not particularly happy because I'm not really that controversial and that gets you 4 red gems! I can handle it but it hardly fills me with joy.

wait?

what does ur reputation depend on? i thought it depends on how many violations u get?
Reply 115
wait?

what does ur reputation depend on? i thought it depends on how many violations u get?

No, your pos/neg rep balance. Violations has nothing to do with it. You can have 9 green gems and 10 warning points if you get massive rep and break the rules all of the time.
Original post by Wattsy
No, your pos/neg rep balance. Violations has nothing to do with it. You can have 9 green gems and 10 warning points if you get massive rep and break the rules all of the time.

so basically i have got 3 red gems because people gave negative ratings on my posts?
Reply 117
so basically i have got 3 red gems because people gave negative ratings on my posts?

Yes, that's how you get reputation. From other members. It has nothing to do with rule breaking and warnings.

It can be that you get equal number of pos and neg reps, but still end up with neg rep as those who gave the negative rep have higher rep power than those who gave the positive rep.
Original post by River85
Yes, that's how you get reputation. From other members. It has nothing to do with rule breaking and warnings.

It can be that you get equal number of pos and neg reps, but still end up with neg rep as those who gave the negative rep have higher rep power than those who gave the positive rep.

what do u mean by "but still end up with neg rep as those who gave the negative rep have higher rep power than those who gave the positive rep" ?
i go through phases of lots of positive then a load of negs :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending