The Student Room Group

Fantasising about having children

Now before those weirdos on TSR start thinking I'm a paedophile, that is NOT what this thread is about.

I'm a 19 year old girl in my first year of university. I am very happy here; I love my degree, I have good people around me and a great relationship with my boyfriend of two years. I wouldn't want to change anything.

The issue is that I keep daydreaming about having children. I'll be doing my work and then my mind will wander along the lines of imagine what would happen if you got pregnant by accident... and then I'll start thinking about it in more detail; what I would do, how I would cope, what it would be like, etc.

Logically, I know that having a child now would be terrible: I'd have to quit or at least postpone university; I wouldn't have enough money to support myself properly; and I know that my partner isn't nearly ready for parenthood.

In spite of this, (and although I would never do anything to put myself at risk of pregnancy; my pill taking is as regular as clockwork,) I've even started feeling disappointed when I get my monthly bleed; it's almost as though I want the pill to fail so I can have a child?!

Can anyone explain why I'm feeling like this (it's completely out of character) or has anyone ever felt the same?

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Im the same, i get really broody.
Perfectly normal, we are meant to want to reproduce.
Just keep thinking that now is not the right time and you will be able to give any children a better life when you can support them properly :smile:
Reply 2
Because every instinct you have is screaming at you that "this is what we're here to do". I doubt it's unusual at all. However, you do need to prioritise, decide what you really want to do with your life, and focus on that. Not only for your sake, but for the sake of any potential children. If you have one, it needs to come first, always. Remember that. Too many parents forget.
Reply 3
Why not volunteer in a nursery or something so it can put you off for a bit?
Reply 4
Thank god this thread wasn't what I thought it was!
Reply 5
Hint- don't tell boys, you'll scare the **** out of them.
Also, for future reference make sure you say "fantasising about having children" instead of "fantasising about children"
Original post by Anonymous
Now before those weirdos on TSR start thinking I'm a paedophile, that is NOT what this thread is about.

I'm a 19 year old girl in my first year of university. I am very happy here; I love my degree, I have good people around me and a great relationship with my boyfriend of two years. I wouldn't want to change anything.

The issue is that I keep daydreaming about having children. I'll be doing my work and then my mind will wander along the lines of imagine what would happen if you got pregnant by accident... and then I'll start thinking about it in more detail; what I would do, how I would cope, what it would be like, etc.

Logically, I know that having a child now would be terrible: I'd have to quit or at least postpone university; I wouldn't have enough money to support myself properly; and I know that my partner isn't nearly ready for parenthood.

In spite of this, (and although I would never do anything to put myself at risk of pregnancy; my pill taking is as regular as clockwork,) I've even started feeling disappointed when I get my monthly bleed; it's almost as though I want the pill to fail so I can have a child?!

Can anyone explain why I'm feeling like this (it's completely out of character) or has anyone ever felt the same?

Thanks.

I'm the same, I am so so so broody at the moment. I have been for about a month or two. I'm 20.
All I can think about at the moment is having kids with my boyfriend and getting married... Which is insane. I would never do that now. It's more fantasising I guess. It is literally driving me crazy. I just look at him and think ahhhh you would be such a great daddy.
I thought I was crazy, so glad to hear other people feel like this!

Anon: friends on TSR I don't particularly want to know this!
Original post by kunoichi
Perfectly normal, we are meant to want to reproduce.

Except for those of us who don't want children :P
Wouldn't that make you a paedophile :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm the same, I am so so so broody at the moment. I have been for about a month or two. I'm 20.
All I can think about at the moment is having kids with my boyfriend and getting married... Which is insane. I would never do that now. It's more fantasising I guess. It is literally driving me crazy. I just look at him and think ahhhh you would be such a great daddy.
I thought I was crazy, so glad to hear other people feel like this!

Anon: friends on TSR I don't particularly want to know this!

edit: oh also forgot to add... as weird as this sounds I keep thinking about what it'd be like being pregnant and him looking after me.... then later on being a housewife (I've always been such a career girl wtf!) and basically waiting for him to come home with his dinner ready and kids from school etc... ahh what is wrong with me :frown:
Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm 22 however and hurtling towards my mid 20s and as a result I often wonder what having a family would be like. I hope I'd be a good father...
Reply 12
Original post by Mankytoes
Hint- don't tell boys, you'll scare the **** out of them.

Aw come on, give guys more credit. It can scare the hell out of girls too :')
Reply 13
I'm terrified of getting pregnant right now because of my Mother's experiences of having children very young. She more or less had to give up on her life. Saying that, some people are excellent young parents, so it really does come down to the person.

Even though I most definitely don't want children right now (thank you very much), I also think about my future family in an aspirational way because we're all brought up to want the best life possible and often a nice family is a part of that (not for everyone though).

Broody thoughts are natural and normal, despite how some people perceive them :smile: Just DON'T plan a family without speaking to your partner first! Hehehe...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending