The Student Room Group

Where to buy University essentials in the UK?

Where is a popular place people go to to buy everything you could possible need for your dorm room ?
so far Ive been looking at websites such as John Lewis, Ikea and Next
but havent found much for a university dorm room
own experiences would be great :smile: Hopefully going to University of Exeter :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kate_louise21
Where is a popular place people go to to buy everything you could possible need for your dorm room ?
so far Ive been looking at websites such as John Lewis, Ikea and Next
but havent found much for a university dorm room
own experiences would be great :smile: Hopefully going to University of Exeter :smile:

John Lewis :eek:

Ikea's massively popular for bedding and so on for good reason, Wilko's a good shout for kitchen things as well.
Reply 2
It was Dunelm Mill for me.

Edit: I also bought limited non-food items from Tesco and Lakeland, and any food was from Lidl or from my mother's spice cupboard.

I know plenty of people bought everything they needed from Asda.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I went to adsa tbh and got everything from there don't spend loads on pans plates knives forks etc because people rob them!
Reply 4
eBay ftw.
John Lewis?

Blimey, they are pricey. But they sell good quality items.

Ikea would be good, but then again it's hard to find one shop that 'does it all' at a reasonable price :smile:
wilkinsons is amazing they have everything at resonable prices, like a new woolies :smile: also qd has some stuff and maybe the poundshop. i know it sounds cheesy but you can buy things from there that are the same as in like other storess for a portion of the price...

hope this helps
Tesco/Asda is fine! The only things I didn't get from there are towels, which I got from John Lewis, because I'm going to use them everyday so it is worth getting something good quality, and bed sheets which I got from debenhams for the same reason- Kitchen stuff in particular there is no point whatsoever in getting it from anywhere other than the supermarket as it all gets ruined!
Reply 8
I bought 90% of my stuff from Wilko. Around 2% from Morrisons and the rest from Ikea.

Don't buy overly expensive stuff, especially kitchenware, because it will be ruined.
Reply 9
Do people often buy office lamps or use the ones that are provided in the dorm?

Original post by SillyEddy
I bought 90% of my stuff from Wilko. Around 2% from Morrisons and the rest from Ikea.

Don't buy overly expensive stuff, especially kitchenware, because it will be ruined.
Original post by hermitthefrog
Tesco/Asda is fine! The only things I didn't get from there are towels, which I got from John Lewis, because I'm going to use them everyday so it is worth getting something good quality, and bed sheets which I got from debenhams for the same reason- Kitchen stuff in particular there is no point whatsoever in getting it from anywhere other than the supermarket as it all gets ruined!

Im going for catered accomodation, will i still need to get any kitchen stuff or things like a kettle etc ?
Reply 11
Is there B&M bargains, home bargains stores in england? I dont know I live in belfast but id buy there probably when I move over, similar to wilko etc, cheap but does the job lol.

I intend to move over with as little stuf as possible (plane) laptop bag and a duffell full of clothes, gonna jus buy cheap stuf for everything I need, I dont make exciting meals anyway so I shouldnt need much xD

As for cleaning I'll jus detol everything lol, perhaps even myself o.O
Original post by LukeM90
Is there B&M bargains, home bargains stores in england? I dont know I live in belfast but id buy there probably when I move over, similar to wilko etc, cheap but does the job lol.

I intend to move over with as little stuf as possible (plane) laptop bag and a duffell full of clothes, gonna jus buy cheap stuf for everything I need, I dont make exciting meals anyway so I shouldnt need much xD

As for cleaning I'll jus detol everything lol, perhaps even myself o.O

yeah there is :smile: with bringing the laptop etc do people often bring printers too or just use them on the university campus? im looking on the dunelm mill website and its pretty good....cute doorstoppers :smile: which university are you going to in England?
Do people often buy office lamps or use the ones that are provided in the dorm?

One was not provided for me, so I bought a lamp from Wilko as well!
Im going for catered accomodation, will i still need to get any kitchen stuff or things like a kettle etc ?

I think the people I know in catered halls still had some basic kitchen essentials- not a kettle or anything like that, that will be provided- just like knives forks, maybe a couple of pans if you're planning on cooking a bit for yourself, although most people in catered seem to get takeaways if they miss a meal or that
Reply 15
yeah there is :smile: with bringing the laptop etc do people often bring printers too or just use them on the university campus? im looking on the dunelm mill website and its pretty good....cute doorstoppers :smile: which university are you going to in England?

Ah good! and nah id use the printer in library or what have ya, and I'm gona go to hertfordshire what about you?
poundland ?
I went to a shop called "Super Ultra Hyper Mega Value" in my first year to buy a tea spoon I had t choices buy a 24 pice dinner set for £5 or a really nasty scabby tra spoon for £4.99 I went for the dinner set and the knives and forks tea spoons etc still haven't tarnished and still look good and this was in 2006 so yeah places like that
Original post by LukeM90
Ah good! and nah id use the printer in library or what have ya, and I'm gona go to hertfordshire what about you?

Im going to University of Exeter :smile:
Reply 19
Im going to University of Exeter :smile:

Ah cool, is that your first choice? and what are you studying? I'm doing computer science, not the most exciting thing in the world but I like it (or atleast some of it :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending