The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Psychology Applicants (2013 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Emre944
I live a little far away. Like different country. :biggrin:

Ooo where do you live?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 221
Original post by Ebuwa
Ooo where do you live?

Istanbul, Turkey. Nothing too exotic. :biggrin:
Reply 222
Original post by Emre944
Istanbul, Turkey. Nothing too exotic. :biggrin:

Wow my uncle used to live there which was quite weird
Reply 223
Original post by Ebuwa
Wow my uncle used to live there which was quite weird

How so?
Reply 224
Original post by Emre944
How so?

We are Nigerian
Just got my offer omg :d
Reply 226
Original post by mlfoster88
Just got my offer omg :d

Congratulations! :smile:
Original post by Emre944
Congratulations! :smile:

Thank you!! Absolutely made up! Pressure is now ON to get the grades though...
Reply 228
Post App days are beginning! Cannot wait for the 19th myself, even if the psychology department stuff is on the 20th for me :wink: I'm guessing others are getting excited too?
Reply 229
Original post by Boro123
Post App days are beginning! Cannot wait for the 19th myself, even if the psychology department stuff is on the 20th for me :wink: I'm guessing others are getting excited too?

Me too except I'm going on 20th. I'm missing my college talk :frown:
Reply 230
On another note did everyone get an email from stephenson college? Lol
Reply 231
Original post by Ebuwa
Me too except I'm going on 20th. I'm missing my college talk :frown:

Sorry to hear that. How come? I remember your from London, so I imagine it's difficult getting up here in time.
Reply 232
Original post by Boro123
Sorry to hear that. How come? I remember your from London, so I imagine it's difficult getting up here in time.

Yes it is and the earlier trains were double the price :frown:
Reply 233
Just got back from post app days- DEFFO firming Durham now! If people are still waiting for offers, the department made a big deal about how they have received a record number of application, and can only allocate 80 places for straight psychology and psychology/philosophy, so it's taken them a very long time. They are still sorting places now. So there is hope yet :smile:
Original post by Boro123
Just got back from post app days- DEFFO firming Durham now! If people are still waiting for offers, the department made a big deal about how they have received a record number of application, and can only allocate 80 places for straight psychology and psychology/philosophy, so it's taken them a very long time. They are still sorting places now. So there is hope yet :smile:

I heard they had 850 applicants for 80 places. It's diabolical! I'm glad you're firming Durham (I definitely think it's better than York) :biggrin: when was the post app day? I was in Durham this afternoon for lunch with a friend since I get Wednesdays off college. It has not been very great weather for post app days I must say!
Reply 235
Original post by emilypsychology
I heard they had 850 applicants for 80 places. It's diabolical! I'm glad you're firming Durham (I definitely think it's better than York) :biggrin: when was the post app day? I was in Durham this afternoon for lunch with a friend since I get Wednesdays off college. It has not been very great weather for post app days I must say!

Cold wet and muddy- didn't stop me playing frisbee like! Stayed over yesterday and today, Durham was full of potential students on Tuesday, it was excellent! And yes, the competition at department level is tough, but I suppose it has to be. I read on unistats that there was something like a 88% offer rate fr Durham psychology, compared to 40 and 20 at York and Cambridge respectively, which made me think about the popularity of the course. Looked very good today though :smile:
Reply 236
Original post by Boro123
Cold wet and muddy- didn't stop me playing frisbee like! Stayed over yesterday and today, Durham was full of potential students on Tuesday, it was excellent! And yes, the competition at department level is tough, but I suppose it has to be. I read on unistats that there was something like a 88% offer rate fr Durham psychology, compared to 40 and 20 at York and Cambridge respectively, which made me think about the popularity of the course. Looked very good today though :smile:

What college will you be at?
Hi my lovelys :smile:

I received an email from the Durham University Psychology Department just over an hour ago informing me of the intense competition and overhaul of applications and that they were sad to announce that even though my application shown suitable competence, I was unsuccessful and they have forwarded my application on to the Applied department. However, I will not be accepting. Don't get me wrong, I was gutted as I was standing in college just checking my emails on my phone and seeing the word 'unsuccessful' made my heart drop but I do see this as an option to better myself and prepare myself for university. Where do I go from now? I feel soooooo relieved, but I have so many options of what to do and I don't know exactly what to do yet. I don't see myself at Nottingham, but I will firm it and still send off my student finance just in case I change my mind. I have a strong temptation to go back to college for a year and pick up some AS levels (whilst it's still free haha) then reapply to possibly 'better' or different universities (yes this means reapply to Durham- no I won't be defeated of my dreams! :biggrin:) dependent upon my results. However, to throw a spanner in the works, I was offered a year's placement to volunteer at a psychiatric hospital near to where I live so I don't know what to do!

To all you guys I have spoken to on this thread, I wish you the best of success if you chose Durham and I guess it's the case of the best man won for those who have C800 offers :smile: Maybe I will see you the year after if I reapply!

I received an email from the Durham University Psychology Department just over an hour ago informing me of the intense competition and overhaul of applications and that they were sad to announce that even though my application shown suitable competence, I was unsuccessful and they have forwarded my application on to the Applied department. However, I will not be accepting. Don't get me wrong, I was gutted as I was standing in college just checking my emails on my phone and seeing the word 'unsuccessful' made my heart drop but I do see this as an option to better myself and prepare myself for university. Where do I go from now? I feel soooooo relieved, but I have so many options of what to do and I don't know exactly what to do yet. I don't see myself at Nottingham, but I will firm it and still send off my student finance just in case I change my mind. I have a strong temptation to go back to college for a year and pick up some AS levels (whilst it's still free haha) then reapply to possibly 'better' or different universities (yes this means reapply to Durham- no I won't be defeated of my dreams! :biggrin:) dependent upon my results. However, to throw a spanner in the works, I was offered a year's placement to volunteer at a psychiatric hospital near to where I live so I don't know what to do!

To all you guys I have spoken to on this thread, I wish you the best of success if you chose Durham and I guess it's the case of the best man won for those who have C800 offers :smile: Maybe I will see you the year after if I reapply!

I'm so sorry to hear that! My mum and I were really rooting for you to get an offer as we have been religiously reading this thread for Durham Psychology updates! I do think the year placement is a fantastic opportunity though and maybe you should try that :smile: I wish you all the best! Good luck x
Reply 239

very, very sad to hear about this- you really did deserve a place. But you know what, you have a fantastic attitude about it :smile: If it was me, I'd have been tempted to go to Nottingham, but I admire your persistence. From what I know already, assuming all goes well in June; your grades are actually very good as they are. The volunteer placement is very special, as that'll make you stand out from the vast majority of other applicants, and will look great on your CV even after university. It's like the perfect psychology-related gap year!

All the best Emily. Do keep me posted on your progress-Durham or otherwise, your gonna do great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending