The Student Room Group

Uni of Cambridge, are my resits going to hold me back?

So I received my some of my AS level exam results today and I'd say I got Average technically speaking, ABC in Maths, Economics and History respectively. I'm looking to Apply to in the future, Cambridge/Warwick/Exeter/Bristol/Durham for mathematics in the future, however all of these technically speaking would like AAA at AS level, hence my decision.
The following UMS of my March Grades
Core Mathematics 1 - 98ums
Economics 1 - 76ums
HY2 (History) - 64ums

Now considering my hard work I'm personally devastated about econ and history... however I've gotta keep going and therefore I will be resitting these modules in the summer. Since economics at alevel and history at alevel are not closely related to maths; if I do not require resits in mathematics/FM will my application still be competitive? I got B's and C's at gcses so maybe this could factor in? What does everyone think, given the unis I'm thinking of will these two resits damage my application?

PS taking all FM modules in the summer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one is going to be able to give you a concrete answer. Specifically in regards to Cambridge, does it look good to have to resit? No, of course not - but it doesn't mean you can't get a place. The problem is, in my opinion, doing well (even very well) in mathematics/further mathematics at A-Level does not mean you'll be a good mathematician. The skills needed to do well at A-Level differ massively from the mathematical skills needed to do well at University - which is partially why Oxford/Cambridge make people applying sit other exams and have interviews (which are vastly different to the kind of work you do at A-Level). The reason I'm saying this, is because I would say the tutors at Oxbridge look far more at your 'other non-mathematical' A-Levels than is perhaps logical, because this gives a good indication of working under pressure and coping with a workload - you'll be surprised how massively varied mathematics is at University. Unlike A-Level maths where generally the maths is the kind where if you're good at one part, you're good at near enough all of it, at University the maths is considerably more varied.

If you intend on applying after your AS-Levels then the resits will have more of an effect than if you applied post A-Level (but I guess that is somewhat obvious). It's also going to be dependent on how you perform in the summer, really unless you've got AAA in your AS-Levels the reality is your application will not be competitive whatsoever purely based on A-Levels. Some would argue that even if you did get AAA in the summer (and high As) it still wouldn't be competitive because of the resits - but that doesn't mean you can't 'wow' at the interview and get an offer because when it boils down to it, the real test is going to be sitting A2 exams and two STEP papers in the summer next year.
Reply 2
Original post by Noble.
No one is going to be able to give you a concrete answer. Specifically in regards to Cambridge, does it look good to have to resit? No, of course not - but it doesn't mean you can't get a place. The problem is, in my opinion, doing well (even very well) in mathematics/further mathematics at A-Level does not mean you'll be a good mathematician. The skills needed to do well at A-Level differ massively from the mathematical skills needed to do well at University - which is partially why Oxford/Cambridge make people applying sit other exams and have interviews (which are vastly different to the kind of work you do at A-Level). The reason I'm saying this, is because I would say the tutors at Oxbridge look far more at your 'other non-mathematical' A-Levels than is perhaps logical, because this gives a good indication of working under pressure and coping with a workload - you'll be surprised how massively varied mathematics is at University. Unlike A-Level maths where generally the maths is the kind where if you're good at one part, you're good at near enough all of it, at University the maths is considerably more varied.

If you intend on applying after your AS-Levels then the resits will have more of an effect than if you applied post A-Level (but I guess that is somewhat obvious). It's also going to be dependent on how you perform in the summer, really unless you've got AAA in your AS-Levels the reality is your application will not be competitive whatsoever purely based on A-Levels. Some would argue that even if you did get AAA in the summer (and high As) it still wouldn't be competitive because of the resits - but that doesn't mean you can't 'wow' at the interview and get an offer because when it boils down to it, the real test is going to be sitting A2 exams and two STEP papers in the summer next year.
Thank you Noble, I understand but having AABC at level is less competitive than AAAA with resits wouldn't you say? I totally understand that there's a massive difference, and I can agree with the fact that you need to show you need to work hard under pressure.

Thanks for the genuine advice, I will still apply if I get AAAB this year minimum
Reply 3
Original post by Robbie242
Thank you Noble, I understand but having AABC at level is less competitive than AAAA with resits wouldn't you say? I totally understand that there's a massive difference, and I can agree with the fact that you need to show you need to work hard under pressure.

Thanks for the genuine advice, I will still apply if I get AAAB this year minimum

Yes of course, you're better off resitting (also because other Universities won't know you've resat, so you'll be fine on that front).
Reply 4
Original post by member591354
Give up on your dreams of Cambridge. :rolleyes:
Returned from being banned? and never!!!!!!111!1/!/1?!/1!?!?!??!?!?1/1?!!!!(enthusiasm)
Someone from cambridge admissions came to our college to talk to us about applying to Oxbridge and she said its fine to resit January exams in June because often you haven't been studying the subject long enough to reach your potential in January but you can't really be resitting any June exams in year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by TheScientist_
Someone from cambridge admissions came to our college to talk to us about applying to Oxbridge and she said its fine to resit January exams in June because often you haven't been studying the subject long enough to reach your potential in January but you can't really be resitting any June exams in year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the input, highly appreciate it!. I'll make sure I ace these summer exams so all I have next year is A2 modules :smile:
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

They only really send those people to the colleges to encourage people to apply, and try and make out it's really "not that different" from applying to other Universities. Unfortunately, saying it's "fine" to resit January modules is stretching the truth, since it implies it isn't an issue and doesn't affect an application (which is unlikely to be true).
Reply 8
You do realise you dont have to show retake that you took in the year of the exam?

For example if you take an AS exam in january and retake in june but your still in AS then you dont have to show you took a retake same with a2, if you retake a2 exams in a2 you dont show em but if you take an AS exam in A2 then they will see. I know oxford dont mind retakes
Reply 9
Original post by yaboy
You do realise you dont have to show retake that you took in the year of the exam?

For example if you take an AS exam in january and retake in june but your still in AS then you dont have to show you took a retake same with a2, if you retake a2 exams in a2 you dont show em but if you take an AS exam in A2 then they will see. I know oxford dont mind retakes

No, you do. Cambridge make you complete an SAQ form where you have to declare all resits.
Reply 10
Original post by Noble.
No, you do. Cambridge make you complete an SAQ form where you have to declare all resits.

What if you lie?:colondollar:
yeah um no, no chance, not trying to be nasty or beat around the bush.
Reply 12
Original post by yaboy
What if you lie?:colondollar:

Then if you get an offer and Cambridge find out, they'll take the offer away. It wouldn't exactly be difficult for them to find out, either via your school/college or the exam boards.
Reply 13
I don't mean it's okay to resit all your january exams but sometimes a result for a particular exam is significantly lower than what you're used to getting for example with English Lit results can be very unpredictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my case History was exactly that, was scoring straight A's then got a C
Original post by member591354
Give up on your dreams of Cambridge. :rolleyes:

A bit harsh?
Reply 15
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
A bit harsh?
I honestly don't take it to heart anyway, member supposedly says he got an offer for Cambridge but I highly doubt that, more like self-loathing the fact he got rejected prior to interview, perhaps.
Ok, I do Maths at Cambridge and people here definitely have resat modules. OP, if you can get all your grades up to A's (and your Maths/FM grades to high A's, preferably over 90%) your application will be fine.
Reply 17
Original post by milienhaus
Ok, I do Maths at Cambridge and people here definitely have resat modules. OP, if you can get all your grades up to A's (and your Maths/FM grades to high A's, preferably over 90%) your application will be fine.
Would an 80-90ums range A as a third subject disadvantage me? I'm fairly on track to get over 90 in maths and fm. And cheers
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
Would an 80-90ums range A as a third subject disadvantage me? I'm fairly on track to get over 90 in maths and fm. And cheers

It won't be as good as other applicants, as most people do Physics and do well in it, but it won't hugely disadvantage you I wouldn't think. Basically, if you can get (decent) A's in Maths/FM you will most likely be invited to interview as they interview the vast majority of candidates. How you perform at interview is up to you. Cambridge also gives out about twice as many offers as places for Maths because STEP is so hard, so start looking at it early (the summer, for example, and work properly for it from January if you get an offer).
Reply 19
Original post by milienhaus
It won't be as good as other applicants, as most people do Physics and do well in it, but it won't hugely disadvantage you I wouldn't think. Basically, if you can get (decent) A's in Maths/FM you will most likely be invited to interview as they interview the vast majority of candidates. How you perform at interview is up to you. Cambridge also gives out about twice as many offers as places for Maths because STEP is so hard, so start looking at it early (the summer, for example, and work properly for it from January if you get an offer).
Alright cheers for all the information, I'm fairly confident I'll manage to pull 90+ out of the bag on econ as well, I heard they don't really mind if an irrelevant subject like History falls down to a B/C (though hoping for A's!) is this the case? and lastly what do you think would be a good plan of action, as lots of STEP III and II content requires quite a bit of C3/C4/FP2/FP3 etc knowledge, would it be smart to look at them, but also start some of my A2 modules early, or go along with my class and attempt to learn some of STEP's tricks? thanks a lot for the insight

Quick Reply

Latest