The Student Room Group

Red Light Camera - help, major stressing!

Hi All,

Today I jumped a red light at about 7:15am, it was sunny and the sun was rising so low, well kind of. I was on a dual carriageway doing 60mph (the speed limit for this particular dual carriageway), it was on the East Lancs road (A580). As I was approaching the lights, must have been about 10m, 3 car lengths from them, they changed from green to amber, I didn't feel like I had enough stopping distance because I was going fast, so I carried on! After I'd crossed the line but before I was out of the intersection they changed to red. Nobody followed me through the lights from either lane, I was the only car to come through that 'late'. I never saw a flash but it was a sunny morning!

I know I shouldn't have been attempting to go that fast through lights but what's done is done now I guess!

My friends say I would have seen the flash and that I'll be ok because I passed the line before they changed but I'm not so sure. Does anyone been in a similar situation or can give me some clarification or will I have to wait it out 14 days?

What's the minimum and maximum penalty also?

Thanks in advance, and I'll give loads of rep to anyone who can help :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

At which set of lights on the A580?

As far as im aware the only red light cameras along the A580 are at the set shown by the green arrow in this google maps link: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.4728180,-2.7191055&t=h
I think even on a sunny day you'd see it flash, and as long as you're past the line when it goes red then you should be ok. This website should be useful. It's got just about everything relating to speed camera, and general road "safety" enforcement.

Btw, you're a new user so your rep is almost useless :tongue:
Original post by member905968
At which set of lights on the A580?

As far as im aware the only red light cameras along the A580 are at the set shown by the green arrow in this google maps link: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.4728180,-2.7191055&t=h

Hi it was near a pub, I think it'c called Carr Mill, the St Helens area, so yeah where the green arrow there is! Do you think I'll be ok? :s-smilie:
Original post by RichyFrench
I think even on a sunny day you'd see it flash, and as long as you're past the line when it goes red then you should be ok. This website should be useful. It's got just about everything relating to speed camera, and general road "safety" enforcement.

awww that bribe didn't work then haha, I'll have to think of a different one! I definitely don't recall seeing a flash. I'm 90% sure I was past the line, I think going at 60mph I couldn't not be past the line! Praying I'll be ok, not quite been driving 2 years yet so don't want any points! Thanks for the link, it's really useful! :smile:
Reply 5
What's the point in stressing? As you said it's done now, just wait and see if you get anything through the post.
You can't stop from 60mph in 3 car lengths. I've seen a lot of people go through ambers. I do it too if I need to. I don't think it matters- i'd rather go through an amber than have a car in my backside from having to brake harshly. If you couldn't stop in time there is no reason to be worried.
Original post by Runninground
You can't stop from 60mph in 3 car lengths. I've seen a lot of people go through ambers. I do it too if I need to. I don't think it matters- i'd rather go through an amber than have a car in my backside from having to brake harshly. If you couldn't stop in time there is no reason to be worried.

Thanks, that's what I thought too, I didn't feel I could have stopped without doing an emergency stop or something! As far as I'm aware it only changed after I'd crossed the line! Fingers crossed!
Reply 8
If you went through amber at 60 then there is no chance you activated the red light camera
Original post by ROG.
If you went through amber at 60 then there is no chance you activated the red light camera

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm just a super paranoid person! The only way I'll be 100% assured is in 2 weeks if I don't get a ticket haha! :smile:
Reply 10
If you have been caught, the penalty would likely be a fixed penalty of 3 points and £60, so provided your licence is clear now you would likely be fine. If you get offered that penalty, it's best to take it - you could go to court and try to convince them there wasn't a safe stopping distance, but if you were unsuccessful you may come away with a more severe penalty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kim-x
If you have been caught, the penalty would likely be a fixed penalty of 3 points and £60, so provided your licence is clear now you would likely be fine. If you get offered that penalty, it's best to take it - you could go to court and try to convince them there wasn't a safe stopping distance, but if you were unsuccessful you may come away with a more severe penalty.

If I got one I'd just admit to it, no point trying to convince them otherwise!
Original post by RichyFrench

Would you see it flash even if you weren't necessarily looking for it, like If I was looking ahead and not deliberately looking in my mirrors, would I still notice the flash?!
Original post by HannahClaire124
Would you see it flash even if you weren't necessarily looking for it, like If I was looking ahead and not deliberately looking in my mirrors, would I still notice the flash?!

I've never been flashed myself but I've seen people get flashed and it is pretty bright, so yeah quite possibly. Like when you see an ambulance's flashing blue lights out the corner of your eye, but brighter. Then again you said it was a very sunny day so it's possible you wouldn't see it.

Regardless, nothing you do now will affect whether or not you were caught, so don't stress yourself out over it.
Reply 14
I thought they didn't flash because they're digital?
Original post by Camoxide
I thought they didn't flash because they're digital?

Truvelo cameras don't flash but GATSO and PEEK cameras do :smile:
As said above there is a delay on when the camera is activated, and from your description it seems you are very likely not to have been caught.
I know it's never appreciated, but take some advice and use this as a educational experience. When you approach traffic lights be conscious that they can and will change. Set an imaginary line on the road well before the lights where if the lights change and you are before that line, you'll brake.
It's never a good idea to go through any set of lights at 60 though, so scrub a bit of speed off before you get to them next time!
Original post by HannahClaire124

Yes you would notice it. I was going through a speed camera and an unmarked police car shot through on the other lane at the same time. I was concentrating on making sure I wasn't in the way of the police car, whilst also making sure I was steering and braking to stop in time at the on coming roundabout and I still saw the camera flash, even though I wasn't expecting it. (I was doing 38 and it was a 40 limit, so obviously I knew it wouldn't flash, but the police car set it off)
Original post by Lukev
As said above there is a delay on when the camera is activated, and from your description it seems you are very likely not to have been caught.
I know it's never appreciated, but take some advice and use this as a educational experience. When you approach traffic lights be conscious that they can and will change. Set an imaginary line on the road well before the lights where if the lights change and you are before that line, you'll brake.
It's never a good idea to go through any set of lights at 60 though, so scrub a bit of speed off before you get to them next time!

I've definitely learnt a lesson in it, no matter whether I've got caught or not, I was driving past the camera before though and I saw the camera on the other side of the road flash someone! I'm so much more careful now, I slow down and stop if I know they are going to change!
Original post by Runninground
Yes you would notice it. I was going through a speed camera and an unmarked police car shot through on the other lane at the same time. I was concentrating on making sure I wasn't in the way of the police car, whilst also making sure I was steering and braking to stop in time at the on coming roundabout and I still saw the camera flash, even though I wasn't expecting it. (I was doing 38 and it was a 40 limit, so obviously I knew it wouldn't flash, but the police car set it off)

That's good to know, thanks :smile: I saw one flashing on the opposite side of the road today and it was very bright! Having said that I'm a gormless git at the best of times!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending