The Student Room Group

Uni of Cambridge, are my resits going to hold me back?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheScientist_
He hasn't actually got ABC at AS it's only for January exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read my post or shut up. :angry:
Reply 41
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I do know a friend who got fairly low AS grades (AABBD), then applied during a gap year (after resits, achieving mainly A*s in the end), and got an offer for languages at Cambridge. So they don't have an issue with a few resits, although they will ask for all your grades on the SAQ so presumably are looking for a significant improvement between the first exam and the resit. However, maths is more competitive than languages, and even if you do get an offer you may still fail to meet it due to STEP. Also, you probably haven't taken the best subject combination, which may count against you.
I think you mentioned earlier (or maybe someone else did...) that you thought that they wouldn't mind so much if you got a low grade in a less related subject. I have been led to believe that this is only really the case if it is a 4th or 5th A level, as you must still show an ability to cope with the 'normal' number of A levels (3 A2s and 4ASs) and achieve the top grades.
Basically, resit your bad exams and try to aim for 90%+ in all your subjects, particularly maths + Further maths.
Cheers for the input, I will try my hardest to do well in STEP, plenty of time to practice and get used to it. I'm not sure whether I'm 100% resitting the modules or not yet, as that could change in my remarks
Reply 42
Original post by Noble.
Can you not see he's just trying to wind you up, look at his other posts, he's clearly a dickhead with some issues.
I can, I'm just playing along because I find it funny that he thinks I'm taking it ultra serious
Original post by Noble.
Can you not see he's just trying to wind you up, look at his other posts, he's clearly a dickhead with some issues.

I apologise for having a disorder. Why should I feel bad when all you morons are the ones who should? Especially Robbie. I hate his arrogant smugness. He will fail and never admit it! :s-smilie:
Reply 44
Original post by member591354
I apologise for having a disorder. Why should I feel bad when all you morons are the ones who should - especially Robbie. I hate his arrogant smugness. He will fail and never admit it! :s-smilie:
I will be the best like no one ever was
Reply 45
far from impossible to get much higher in resits. I got ABCC last year, now I'm on AAA with high UMS in all of them.
Original post by Noble.
I know you're trying to be offensive, but being called a moron by an A-Level student is like being told what hard work is by someone who hasn't worked a day in their life - borderline hilarious. :smile:

I was specifically calling you a moron. You appear to be an Oxford student, so you may be remotely intelligent. I was referring to the others, you are acting rather moronic by involving yourself in this though. :wink:
Reply 47
Original post by King Hotpie
To get As is my real quest, Cambridge is my cause!

Sorry, couldn't resist :wink:. Another Cambridge hopeful (Nat Sci in this case), with a few doubts over my suitability. Still gonna apply though (assuming there's no disasters in June), nothing to lose and at the very least I should get bragging rights of an interview at Cambridge! :biggrin:

And as for that other guy, he looks like a tool. I don't care what university he goes to, if he's as arrogant and idiotic in real life as he is on here, he's not going to make it very far anyway!
Haha nice finish I wouldn't of thought of that line!

Oh nice, and same if June turns out to be a Disaster I may avoid applying (depends of how much a disaster) but I think I can make it out with 3/4A's hopefully :biggrin: and yes of course, I'm the first in my family to go through alevels and do kinda good, my others didn't really study so I'm here to try get a good university placement!
I wish I had the chance to do sciences, they seem so interesting compared to history (GCSEs held me back >_<) but good luck with you application and June exams :biggrin:.

As for member I totally agree, hes just wasting my valuable time he even started to stalk all my tsr posts and quoting them now; how pathetic.
I don't care though haha, I'm fairly certain my remarks will be positive since I put endless hours into January (effective ones might I add)
Original post by Tabzqt
far from impossible to get much higher in resits. I got ABCC last year, now I'm on AAA with high UMS in all of them.

Do you hold a Cambridge offer? No. I didn't think so. :rolleyes:
Reply 49

lol, too obvious trolling, tone it down a bit people might take you a bit more seriously.
Says the person with ABC at AS! You will never get into Cambridge and I will stay on here and watch you apply, have an interview, and eventually receive a rejection letter and say: "I told you so!" :teehee:

Okay, so his AS results are a little disappointing, but from what I've seen, admission into Oxford and Cambridge isn't merely based on AS results. I got rejected from Oxford for Physics with 5 As at AS, extenuating circumstances and no resits, yet I know a guy that got into Oxford with ABBC at AS, who has just done resits from last year. I'm not sure if Cambridge is the same, but I don't see why you should discourage OP from applying. It's great to aim high, and to me the whole admission process is pretty random anyway, so he might have a chance!
Reply 51
Try to be more Subtle
Original post by Tabzqt
lol, too obvious trolling, tone it down a bit people might take you a bit more seriously.

But you don't possess a Cambridge offer so your resits were futile. I got higher than your average UMS the first time round with no resits. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anime Lover
Okay, so his AS results are a little disappointing, but from what I've seen, admission into Oxford and Cambridge isn't merely based on AS results. I got rejected from Oxford for Physics with 5 As at AS, extenuating circumstances and no resits, yet I know a guy that got into Oxford with ABBC at AS, who has just done resits from last year. I'm not sure if Cambridge is the same, but I don't see why you should discourage OP from applying. It's great to aim high, and to me the whole admission process is pretty random anyway, so he might have a chance!

Random? They only choose the best. :rolleyes:
Original post by Robbie242

I don't care though haha, I'm fairly certain my remarks will be positive since I put endless hours into January (effective ones might I add)

How can you still be persistently arrogant after failure? You really are deluded! :eek:
Random? They only choose the best. :rolleyes:

I'd have to disagree with you there. Yes, in some cases the people they pick are the deserving ones, but I know some pretty thick people that have got offers, so it's a pretty random process.
Original post by Robbie242
So I received my some of my AS level exam results today and I'd say I got Average technically speaking, ABC in Maths, Economics and History respectively. I'm looking to Apply to in the future, Cambridge/Warwick/Exeter/Bristol/Durham for mathematics in the future, however all of these technically speaking would like AAA at AS level, hence my decision.
The following UMS of my March Grades
Core Mathematics 1 - 98ums
Economics 1 - 76ums
HY2 (History) - 64ums

Now considering my hard work I'm personally devastated about econ and history... however I've gotta keep going and therefore I will be resitting these modules in the summer. Since economics at alevel and history at alevel are not closely related to maths; if I do not require resits in mathematics/FM will my application still be competitive? I got B's and C's at gcses so maybe this could factor in? What does everyone think, given the unis I'm thinking of will these two resits damage my application?

PS taking all FM modules in the summer

All I can say is that applied to Exeter (not for maths) but for Law, (highly competitive and needed AAA) with ACC AS grades. I totally let myself down AS year but luckily had excellent references and a very good personal statement. I got an offer from them pretty quickly and also from all my other unis... and I just retook ACC AS levels got ABB and AAA in my A2 :-)

good luck
I'd have to disagree with you there. Yes, in some cases the people they pick are the deserving ones, but I know some pretty thick people that have got offers, so it's a pretty random process.

Believe what you want. :rolleyes: I know you are implying that I am 'thick', but my academic record, teachers, and Cambridge suggest otherwise.
Original post by millie-rose
All I can say is that applied to Exeter (not for maths) but for Law, (highly competitive and needed AAA) with ACC AS grades. I totally let myself down AS year but luckily had excellent references and a very good personal statement. I got an offer from them pretty quickly and also from all my other unis... and I just retook ACC AS levels got ABB and AAA in my A2 :-)

good luck

Robbie'll get an offer from the other 4, it's just Cambridge will be the pressure point

I wouldn't say it's random. They (mostly) pick the people that are best on the day of the interview. Maybe. Or at least I'll tell myself that :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest