The Student Room Group

Dailymail readers are racist.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
wrong thread
Reply 21
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

The Daily Mail might not be amazing, but TSR is far more extreme and intolerant in every way, on every issue.
Reply 22
Original post by Clip
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

The Daily Mail might not be amazing, but TSR is far more extreme and intolerant in every way, on every issue.

people are allowed their opinions and it's a good place to debate them.
(not saying you were disagreeing with this)
Original post by MissCellaneous94
BS. Everyone on here always gets uptight when such generalisations are made, and says don't judge a whole group of people by the actions of a few, yet here apparently everyone that reads the DM is racist. Hypocritical or what?

How can anyone say its a few? They all have nearly 200+ plus reps
Reply 24
Original post by Rascacielos
"A fair proportion of Daily Mail readers appear to be racist" would have been just as effective.

Did you come to this conclusion because 13 people made some un PC-Remarks on its website?
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
You're judging the entire Daily Mail readership on 13 comments?

Disclaimer: I don't read the Daily Mail.

Each comment has dozens/hundreds of people agreeing with it...
Original post by TheGuy117
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293411/Russia-police-force-Muslim-men-trim-beards-gunpoint.htm

Usually they hide behind the fact that the person they are attacking did something wrong...they haven't bothered this time, the man did nothing, but just look at the comments! :eek:

To be fair that's a bit of a generalisation. Besides, many people(e.g. me) just read it for something to laugh at.
Don't worry Daily Mail readers, before long the EU will be passing regulations on the maximum allowable length of facial hair in Europe, so the Europolice will be going round ordering people to shave them off.
Reply 28
Original post by Darth Stewie
I'm not spotting the racism? They seem to have been made to shave of their beards either because the officers involved are Peter the Great fanboys or because they hate Islam, either way it had nothing to do with the race of the people involved.

The BNP got away with flouting the Racial and Religious Hatred Act using this argument. Legally it was watertight, but still sounds totally disingenuous. 'racist' is generally regarded to include islamophobia, given that the majority of Muslims are Arabs, and the sort of dick that would commit a crime like this generally won't distinguish between a Muslim Arab and one of any other religion or none.
What do you expect? Only idiots read the daily mail.
To daily mail readers- the EU is out and about, they're going to get you..... run!
Original post by ZADS
The BNP got away with flouting the Racial and Religious Hatred Act using this argument. Legally it was watertight, but still sounds totally disingenuous. 'racist' is generally regarded to include islamophobia, given that the majority of Muslims are Arabs, and the sort of dick that would commit a crime like this generally won't distinguish between a Muslim Arab and one of any other religion or none.

Why? Islam is an ideology, the whole reason we consider racism so bad is because it is judging someone based on unchangeable attributes about themselves that have no reflection on their personality, beliefs or ability.

Not liking someone because of the ideology they choose to follow is perfectly reasonable, don't get me wrong i completely disagree with the actions of the police officers however calling Daily Mail readers racist because they clearly have a massive dislike for a particular ideology is like calling someone sexist because they hate communism, the two are not related. Sure someone may be sexist and hate communism just like someone may be racist against Arabs and dislike Islam however one doesn't imply the other.
Why? Islam is an ideology, the whole reason we consider racism so bad is because it is judging someone based on unchangeable attributes about themselves that have no reflection on their personality, beliefs or ability.

Not liking someone because of the ideology they choose to follow is perfectly reasonable, don't get me wrong i completely disagree with the actions of the police officers however calling Daily Mail readers racist because they clearly have a massive dislike for a particular ideology is like calling someone sexist because they hate communism, the two are not related. Sure someone may be sexist and hate communism just like someone may be racist against Arabs and dislike Islam however one doesn't imply the other.

So you agree with the comments on that article?

I don't know about you but I would rather judge someone by how good they are, not by what their religion is. If someone's a good person but follows a certain religion are you still going to hate them?
Reply 33
Darth Stewie, I see what you mean, but you've missed my point a bit - this attack wasn't due to a difference in ideological perspective. Had the victims not been Arabs, or obviously Arabic, it wouldn't have happened. Had they been Christians and the police not known, the attack still would have happened. So the police are racist.

And in the case of Daily Mail readers, they use religion as a proxy for ethnicity and nationality. The same sort of thing happened in Britain in the 70s and 80s, when people with Irish accents were treated with suspicion regardless of political affiliation because Daily Mail types assumed they were terrorists. In that case, it was never really about politics, but nationality.
Think Daily Mail is bad? You've seen nothing until you've visited the RT website :/ Makes Daily Mail readers look like extremely tolerant and caring people.
Reply 35
This looks a bit like a raid by 4chan or something like that, judging from the number of comments compared to the number of up votes.
Daily mail readers are the brainwashed idiots of society. They complain about how poor they are in every article and they blame everyone but themselves for their sh*t lives when in reality they're poor because they're absolute idiots.
The rich need people like daily mail readers. The rich are the cause of our bad financial situation, they're smart so what they try to do is trick the typical dumb english daily mail reader into thinking their neighbours are to blame and the rich are innocent, this then allows the rich to carry on getting richer, while the idiots below them carry on fighting with each other. For example, they want you to think that it's the ethnic minorities/ immigrants/people on benefits/anyone else different to them that are responsible for their shi*ty lives.
It's very clever. It's just how humans have always been- survival of the fittest. The smart people become rich (and when I mean rich I mean the REALLY rich who own everything) and divide the rest of society so they can carry on getting richer while the idiots below them keep fighting over that little cookie the rich man threw on the street.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by TheGuy117
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293411/Russia-police-force-Muslim-men-trim-beards-gunpoint.htm

Usually they hide behind the fact that the person they are attacking did something wrong...they haven't bothered this time, the man did nothing, but just look at the comments! :eek:

You're probably a Muslim aren't you?? thats why you created this thread.....Otherwise why would you be concerned about them? :s-smilie: Anyway as non-Muslim, i think what those police did was wrong........BUT having said that i wished they did that with even more torture to the terrorists!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
The Daily Mail is great when you read around the bias. Gives massive exposure to most public issues and actually investigates.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rolos12345
Did you come to this conclusion because 13 people made some un PC-Remarks on its website?

I haven't reached any conclusion. I was just suggesting an alternative title for this thread to accord with the OP's apparent opinion, since the current title makes an unwarranted generalization.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending