The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

How does the accommodation get allocated?

I have an interview at Hertfordshire on the 13th, but noticed people have already applied for accommodation. I know where I want to apply for so am getting a bit worried that they may have started allocating accommodation already? I haven't had anything to do with applying for accommodation yet
Reply 1
I've not applied yet as I've not decided but I think you pick a few different halls/rooms in preference order, and they get allocated first come first serve, which is why so many people apply early
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by gford11
I have an interview at Hertfordshire on the 13th, but noticed people have already applied for accommodation. I know where I want to apply for so am getting a bit worried that they may have started allocating accommodation already? I haven't had anything to do with applying for accommodation yet

I spoke to some one from Hertfordshire who told me that the application for accommodation isn't up and running yet, but will probably be around Easter. she also said that it isn't allocated until you get your results... she seemed to be implying that there's no rush as it might not make a difference!! What course will you be doing? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Bobbi!
I spoke to some one from Hertfordshire who told me that the application for accommodation isn't up and running yet, but will probably be around Easter. she also said that it isn't allocated until you get your results... she seemed to be implying that there's no rush as it might not make a difference!! What course will you be doing? :smile:

By results did she mean A Level results? phew was getting worried, so everyone applied at the same time? I'll (hopefully) be studying Special Effects for films etc what about you? decided on which accommodation you'd like?
Reply 4
Original post by gford11
By results did she mean A Level results? phew was getting worried, so everyone applied at the same time? I'll (hopefully) be studying Special Effects for films etc what about you? decided on which accommodation you'd like?

Yeah, A level results- I think it's best to apply quickly when the application thing is activated. I'll (hopefully, lol) be doing primary education, and I want to be on the de havilland campus- that's where my course will be and I definitely want an en suite!! And yourself?
Reply 5
Original post by Bobbi!
Yeah, A level results- I think it's best to apply quickly when the application thing is activated. I'll (hopefully, lol) be doing primary education, and I want to be on the de havilland campus- that's where my course will be and I definitely want an en suite!! And yourself?

En suite is such a good idea! I'd love one but have to take my car so I need to apply for college lane. Have you got an interview soon then? Good luck :-)
Reply 6
Original post by Fudgesickle
En suite is such a good idea! I'd love one but have to take my car so I need to apply for college lane. Have you got an interview soon then? Good luck :-)

I hope a lot of people are taking their cars so that I have a better chance of getting De Havilland!! lol. I had my interview already on the 20th Feb, and got a conditional offer- it's my firm choice. :smile: Can't wait!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Bobbi!
I hope a lot of people are taking their cars so that I have a better chance of getting De Havilland!! lol. I had my interview already on the 20th Feb, and got a conditional offer- it's my firm choice. :smile: Can't wait!!!

Hahah that's true, how long after your interview did you hear back ? It's pretty exciting
Reply 8
Just under two weeks, although the waiting feels longer!! What have you applied for, and have you had an interview yet?
Reply 9
Original post by Bobbi!

There are only limited car spaces available on college lane. If a large amount of people would take their car they would only be able to go to college lane, yes, but a large amount of people wouldn't get a permit because of limited availability. did that make sense? :tongue:

Original post by gford11

As others said already, application process usually starts around April/Easter time.

You put a top 4 or something like it on your application form, if your first choice is full you'll be put in your second etc so choose wisely! ^^

I wouldn't say it doesn't make any difference at all when you apply becomes in is partially on a first come first serve basis (they don't get one bunch of applications and randomly pull them out to make it equal :P)

There is lots of info on here and on the website about accommodation but if you need any further help feel free to pm me :smile:
If you live away from Hertfordshire you're guaranteed to be allocated accommodation :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by charlottew94
If you live away from Hertfordshire you're guaranteed to be allocated accommodation :smile:

That is not really true. If you are an international/EU student you will get priority as it would be harder to find a place. As a UK student it doesn't make that much of difference at all. Someone from Hatfield has just as much chance and just right to get on campus accommodation.
Reply 12
Are all first year undergraduates guaranteed accommodation on campus?
Reply 13
Can you still apply for accommodation if Hertfordshire is your insurance?
Reply 14
Original post by tashi211
Are all first year undergraduates guaranteed accommodation on campus?

Generally speaking, yes - if you have applied for on campus accommodation I wouldn't worry about not getting any room at all. In rare occasions when there really is no room left you'd be given a hotel room or something untill something is found for you.

Original post by Curty95
Can you still apply for accommodation if Hertfordshire is your insurance?

You can but it will not be processed or anything until you have made herts your firm. Otherwise they might end up doing lots of work for nothing if lots of people who have applied end up going elsewhere :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending