The Student Room Group

Does Exeter uni have any opportunities to study abroad when doing Law?

For example, King's and UCL give you the opportunity to study abroad at Columbia, but I'm not sure if Exeter do saying similar. Do they?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/law/exelaw/

LLB with International Study
This programme is available to you only after you have taken the first year of our LLB Honours Law programme (M103). You may be able to transfer onto the LLB with International Study at the end of the first year if you get marks in the first-yar LLB exams equivalent to at least a mid to high 2:1 and are successful at interview - there are only two places per partner institution each year. Providing you maintain high academic levels during your second year, you can expect to spend the third year abroad in a law faculty in Australia, Singapore, Canada or the USA. Please note that you cannot apply for the LLB with International Study degree initially through UCAS. Please contact the School for further information.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/law/laweuropean/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Hasty
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/law/exelaw/

LLB with International Study
This programme is available to you only after you have taken the first year of our LLB Honours Law programme (M103). You may be able to transfer onto the LLB with International Study at the end of the first year if you get marks in the first-yar LLB exams equivalent to at least a mid to high 2:1 and are successful at interview - there are only two places per partner institution each year. Providing you maintain high academic levels during your second year, you can expect to spend the third year abroad in a law faculty in Australia, Singapore, Canada or the USA. Please note that you cannot apply for the LLB with International Study degree initially through UCAS. Please contact the School for further information.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/law/laweuropean/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks. Doing the years abroad with UCL and KCL earn you an extra degree, so would this be the case with Exeter, or is it just an LLB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Enthusiastic A
Thanks. Doing the years abroad with UCL and KCL earn you an extra degree, so would this be the case with Exeter, or is it just an LLB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's 2 years in NY with UoL and Columbia and is also both very competitive and expensive, you will likely need both a First in your fresher year and parents with deep pockets.

Exeter do offer the option to gain a recognised law degree abroad with a Maitrise at Rennes, I think, but obviously that would require fluency in French in order for you to both get a place and to have any hope of successfully completing it.

So far as I'm aware the only dual qualifying foreign degree link taught in English is the LLB/JD at UoL/Columbia, though if you have the language skills a few unis offer an LLB with a Maitrise or Magister.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Enthusiastic A

Posted from TSR Mobile

the llb/jd program is incredibly hard and expensive to get into. you apply at the beginning of your second year (at kcl) and must have a 65+ average and mooting experience. i know people who have been on that program, and they had a strong first average. you further need to self-fund the two years in NY, paying full columbia fees; iirc the amount you are estimated to need for the two years is approx us $120k. you cannot rely on any funds from columbia, although once there you can apply for them (but to get there you need to demonstrate you can self-fund). kcl has two places for the llb/jd and as i understand it, ucl and lse also offer the program with similarly limited spaces.

if you want to study abroad, i can only detail the options at kcl to give you a fuller, more realistic picture (as very few can afford the llb/jd option).

if you do the straight law degree at kcl, in your second year you have the option to transfer to the following programs:
- law with european legal studies (quite widespread - lots of universities in europe, some requiring language skills, some not; many places available)
- law with australian legal studies (i believe 2 places are available? you go to monash for one year)
- law with transnational legal studies (this year, 7 places available, you study at georgetown's center for transnational legal studies in holborn, london for one year - this requires a very high grade average i believe)

none of those three options will dual-qualify you.

(there is also an english law & german law program that may/may not be qualifying if you pick the 2 years in uk, 2 years in germany option and sit the first state exam - i'm not familiar enough with the german system to understand it fully though! as i gather, the first state exam is a step towards qualifying? but this option has to be applied for, i don't believe you can transfer into it. same for the english law & french law double degree - you have to apply for it straight away)

i appreciate this isn't exactly what you asked, but i thought it could be useful information to clarify what study abroad options there are at kcl!
Original post by Pippaaa
the llb/jd program is incredibly hard and expensive to get into. you apply at the beginning of your second year (at kcl) and must have a 65+ average and mooting experience. i know people who have been on that program, and they had a strong first average. you further need to self-fund the two years in NY, paying full columbia fees; iirc the amount you are estimated to need for the two years is approx us $120k. you cannot rely on any funds from columbia, although once there you can apply for them (but to get there you need to demonstrate you can self-fund). kcl has two places for the llb/jd and as i understand it, ucl and lse also offer the program with similarly limited spaces.

if you want to study abroad, i can only detail the options at kcl to give you a fuller, more realistic picture (as very few can afford the llb/jd option).

if you do the straight law degree at kcl, in your second year you have the option to transfer to the following programs:
- law with european legal studies (quite widespread - lots of universities in europe, some requiring language skills, some not; many places available)
- law with australian legal studies (i believe 2 places are available? you go to monash for one year)
- law with transnational legal studies (this year, 7 places available, you study at georgetown's center for transnational legal studies in holborn, london for one year - this requires a very high grade average i believe)

none of those three options will dual-qualify you.

(there is also an english law & german law program that may/may not be qualifying if you pick the 2 years in uk, 2 years in germany option and sit the first state exam - i'm not familiar enough with the german system to understand it fully though! as i gather, the first state exam is a step towards qualifying? but this option has to be applied for, i don't believe you can transfer into it. same for the english law & french law double degree - you have to apply for it straight away)

i appreciate this isn't exactly what you asked, but i thought it could be useful information to clarify what study abroad options there are at kcl!

I thought King's had a dual degree with Hong Kong law?
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
I thought King's had a dual degree with Hong Kong law?

it does, but i know nothing about it, so left it out for fear of misinforming the OP :smile:

i *think* it's like the english & french and english & german dual degrees in that you have to apply straight onto it, rather than transfer on as with european/australian/transnational legal studies/JD-LLB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending