The Student Room Group

Anyone else sick of rich/privileged people moaning

Students in the same financial situation as me, live on £6000 a year.

That's £500 a month for rent, utilities, food, transport, textbooks.

Yet I constantly see moaners on the news. I recently read an article about a woman moaning that her £75,000 joint income was not enough.

I'm sorry but I get by on £500 a month (£350 goes straight to rent, leaving £150 a month for utilities and food and transport), if you make more than this I just cannot sympathise with you. At this point, after being rejected for 25+ jobs and internships, when I graduate I'd be happy to earn a wage of just £12,000 a year, as that would be nearly double what I currently live on.. You know you're at a low point when making £12,000 a year would allow you to live a massively better lifestyle than you currently live on.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do you live on £500 a month in an expensive rent area?
Reply 2
People match their expenditure to their income, expecting it to continue, if not increase. Thus anything that affects that (no pay rise, stuff getting more expensive etc) will affect their standard of living. It's likely that they'll have a mortgage too, and depending on how expensive it is and how big a proportion of their income they spend on it, they could risk losing that house.

You're right, of course, I'm just pointing out why they're complaining.
Reply 3
Original post by Mike93L
How do you live on £500 a month in an expensive rent area?

Let's just say it involves virtually never having the heating on, walking/cycling everywhere, and eating a lot of rice, pasta and canned things
There's a big difference between being a student and being in your 30s or 40s with a family to support, etc. However, I agree that well-off people shouldn't moan about their situation. Worst of all is to hear those who have received large inheritances complaining about inheritance tax rates, or (some) very wealthy people whose wealth is offshore going on about what a terrible place Britain is, whilst living here and enjoying the society and infrastructure built up by generations of taxpayers.
Reply 5
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's a big difference between being a student and being in your 30s or 40s with a family to support, etc. However, I agree that well-off people shouldn't moan about their situation. Worst of all is to hear those who have received large inheritances complaining about inheritance tax rates, or (some) very wealthy people whose wealth is offshore going on about what a terrible place Britain is, whilst living here and enjoying the society and infrastructure built up by generations of taxpayers.

Just because you have children does not mean your children are automatically entitled to a rich and spoiled lifestyle.
Reply 6
Original post by voran
Students in the same financial situation as me, live on £6000 a year.

That's £500 a month for rent, utilities, food, transport, textbooks.

Yet I constantly see moaners on the news. I recently read an article about a woman moaning that her £75,000 joint income was not enough.

I'm sorry but I get by on £500 a month (£350 goes straight to rent, leaving £150 a month for utilities and food and transport), if you make more than this I just cannot sympathise with you. At this point, after being rejected for 25+ jobs and internships, when I graduate I'd be happy to earn a wage of just £12,000 a year, as that would be nearly double what I currently live on.. You know you're at a low point when making £12,000 a year would allow you to live a massively better lifestyle than you currently live on.

£6000....untaxed
Now sit down and do the maths on how large a salary you need to support a house which costs £500 rent a month (with council tax), and run a car etc.
Then you'll realise that some people who are on £28k+ are screwed and just how bad tax can be.
Reply 7
I know which article the OP is referring too. That's ridiculous. It's here

How does a family of 5 spend that much on groceries? Even the new amount she was spending is a lot.

I have no sympathy at all. I receive roughly £160 a week. Out of that, I give my parents money, have to save to move out, pay my dad some money, etc. Thankfully, I don't need to buy textbooks.

I do know someone who was moaning that they now have to help their adult child out because their child benefit has stopped due to income. Last time I checked, you're not forced to live in a certain area in the UK, nor are you forced to take your children on expensive trips. When I was younger, my dad worked nights and would be in bed until at least 3pm. During the holidays, we'd take a packed lunch, frisbee, football, etc. down to the park for a few hours.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Jimbo1234
£6000....untaxed

£6000 untaxed is FAR less than a taxed £12k
Reply 9
£6000....untaxed
Now sit down and do the maths on how large a salary you need to support a house which costs £500 rent a month (with council tax), and run a car etc.
Then you'll realise that some people who are on £28k+ are screwed and just how bad tax can be.

The family the OP mentioned have a tax free allowance each of £8105 per year.
Reply 10
Original post by OU Student
I know which article the OP is referring too. That's ridiculous. It's here

How does a family of 5 spend that much on groceries? Even the new amount she was spending is a lot.

I have no sympathy at all. I receive roughly £160 a week. Out of that, I give my parents money, have to save to move out, pay my dad some money, etc. Thankfully, I don't need to buy textbooks.

I do know someone who was moaning that they now have to help their adult child out because their child benefit has stopped due to income. Last time I checked, you're not forced to live in a certain area in the UK, nor are you forced to take your children on expensive trips. When I was younger, my dad worked nights and would be in bed until at least 3pm. During the holidays, we'd take a packed lunch, frisbee, football, etc. down to the park for a few hours.

I agree, i was brought up by a single parent and have never been outside of the UK, but i dont moan about it, nor am i bothered, if parents cant really afford these sort of luxuries they shouldnt do it

I think bringing up a family honestly and doing the best with what you got and can afford makes them appreciate life and money more, and the hard work ethic.

I loved my paper round in the pissing rain when i was 12 xD
Reply 11
Worst example is Adele - 'waaaaaah I earnt 8 million last year but now I only have 4 million'

Oh boohoo poor you.
**** off love.
Reply 12
Well, firstly, having to support a family is worlds away from being a student. I don't know which article you're talking about, but I'm about 95% certain it'll be from the daily mail. Stuff like that is written purely to wind people up and get page views, congrats for falling for it, I guess?
Reply 13
Original post by redferry
Worst example is Adele - 'waaaaaah I earnt 8 million last year but now I only have 4 million'

Oh boohoo poor you.
**** off love.

I hate adele, all her songs jus make her sound like this whiney jealous bitch lol, she sounds like a vile person
Original post by LukeM90
I agree, i was brought up by a single parent and have never been outside of the UK, but i dont moan about it, nor am i bothered, if parents cant really afford these sort of luxuries they shouldnt do it

My only trip abroad was in year 11. I never moaned about not going abroad. I wasn't bothered.
Reply 15
Original post by OU Student
My only trip abroad was in year 11. I never moaned about not going abroad. I wasn't bothered.

tbh who needs sunny countries when ya got skegness lol, tbh I actualy love tacky british seaside resorts, sorta homely in a gross kinda way xD
Reply 16
As someone else pointed out as your at rises so does your expected standard of living swims family earn a decent amount of money to be on the high bracket tax band but with a mortgage, bills, 3 kids etc etc you'd be surprised how little that comes to. Of course some could easily live on that but not knowing her circumstances you have no right to judge least of all living in student accommodation where it's cheaper anyway... Tke your what £150 p/w rent vs. someone's mortgage which can easily hot 4 figures a month.
I was incredibly spoilt as a child. Parents earned close to £30,000 combined, we went on holidays, though not abroad, strangely, we had Sky when it came out, mum worked in toy manufacturing so I got tonnes of free stuff, we had a big house and garden and I was an only child.

At the moment I get the maximum loan and grant, so I don't complain. I feel privileged seeing as many people who supposedly are meant to get the equivalent money from their parents don't. It's a shame, I feel they should be able to get bigger loans, it's not like there's a limit, is there? They'd pay it all back after anyway.
Original post by voran
£6000 untaxed is FAR less than a taxed £12k

With student reductions eg. no council tax, student accommodation prices etc
With student reductions eg. no council tax, student accommodation prices etc

But people who work aren't having to buy things like textbooks, etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending