The Student Room Group

BTEC or A-Level? (Broadcast Media)

I'm 16 and I want to go on to do Media when I leave school this year. Neither doing media as a BTEC or an A-Level are offered at my school so that would not be an issue for me to help me choose between them.
They both appeal to me but I think I more want to do the BTEC because I find written exams harder than practical work, however I've heard that BTECs aren't very highly regarded and I don't want to ruin my chances if doing well in the field by choosing the wrong type of course.

Does anyone have any advice on which would be better?
Reply 1
Original post by cartoonwars
I'm 16 and I want to go on to do Media when I leave school this year. Neither doing media as a BTEC or an A-Level are offered at my school so that would not be an issue for me to help me choose between them.
They both appeal to me but I think I more want to do the BTEC because I find written exams harder than practical work, however I've heard that BTECs aren't very highly regarded and I don't want to ruin my chances if doing well in the field by choosing the wrong type of course.

Does anyone have any advice on which would be better?

Its not that Btecs arn't as highly regarded its more A-level people look down on them thinking they are "easier" when infact they are just about the same, I did a btec national 2 years in IT and it was far more comprehensive and indepth than any of my friends A-level IT content.

As for you're question I'll try to be un-biased and say it like this,

A-level gives you flexibility, undoutebly youd do 3 full alevels one being media, yes? that means youve got a choice of 3 areas potntiall if you change your mind,

However a Btec is equivilant to 3-alevels but in one subject, so youd have a higher understanding of the various different types of media by going down that route, but you will have less flexibility when going to university, if you 100% wana do media though thats fine.

theres my un-biased thoughts, now for my oppinion lol, I would be someone who thinks BTECs are very good, and heres my gist of it, btecs are thought of as more vocational where as a-level academic

This is great for me as without practical experience in IT working technologies you wont get a job lol, fortunately Uni fills in the HUGE gaps a-levels leave.

But if you did media BTEC there is a high chance you will get practical hands on experience as well as theory, as soon as possible, the more of that the better right?

But it doesnt mean btec maybe right for you, in the end its up to you

Also BTEC are mostly done at a college where as A-levels are mostly, but not always done in school, so for this reason and the BTECs practical experience the BTEC can be more fun for some, not all but some,

And imo you dont start maturing or growing up till you go out on your own, A-level still provides the safety net of school environment and teachers, whilst college lecturers will support you its no where near as strict, and its alot more informal, so the effort is all down to you, which is a good thing!

As for getting into uni, I did a BTEC national Diploma (2 years full-time) and i wasnt declined from any of the universities I applied for having got triple distinction grade (best you can get in btec national, and ok I mightent of applied to the most prestigious unis but that doesnt matter to me, if it does to you, you might consider A-level over btec.

Finally if you go btec route be sure what you are getting into, some btecs are certificates or so forth, the national diploma is the only one thats a equivilant to 3 a-levels and your best chance of uni after btec, just thought id lay that out,

sorry thats alot to read, just wanted to cover everything i thought, hope this helps!!

If you need any more info on btec's, HNDS or similar dont hesitate PM'ing me
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you, I think I'm probably going to go for the btec option :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending