The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R-KAM
Talib is a must really. Knows a bit about the team and a good player when the head is screwed. As you say, rest of the secondary does need improved still.

It's bloody annoying, we have Brady, who is taking less $$$ than he's due for one, and we still not complimenting him with a PHWOAR offence. It's really quite ridiculous. (BB probably gambling on our TEs being fit all season... :rofl2:)

Nah, it's perfectly reasonable, we've just gave away one of the leagues best receivers over the last 6 years. We've replaced him with a potential injury risk, who does have the talent, but yet to prove durability sadly.

Hahah true, although our offence wasn't exactly a juggernaut back then was it? Not compared to what it could be now I think anyway.

Given the option, one or the other, would you rather splash on the defence or splash on an offence to supplement Brady? :holmes:

Dude 2007 our offense was the JUGGERNAUT. Nothing compares to it we had Moss just catching every deep ball thrown his way. Welker having the middle all to himself because teams were so scared of it going deep. Stallworth and Gaffney as well. May not have had as many superstars on offense but damn we had the deep ball threat and we could go over middle of the field.

Right now our offense is the same. No deep threat and no way in hell our Twin headed monsters make it the whole season not injured. They played 1 game together this season which was a real shame. Brady will be furious no doubt the contract restructure was to help with Wes in mind but now hes gone. He has to develop chemistry with the new receivers and thats not what we want when we should just surround him with complimentary pieces instead of pretty crucial ones.

Amendola has better hands then Welker and is a better runner once he has the ball but the guy keeps getting injuries that are not even linked. Like if it was a hamstring problem that's fine it would be expected to be possibly recurring but theres such a variety in those injuries you think hes cursed. Shoulder, foot, triceps and that Clavicle injury. I'm not saying hes not tough because he bloody is, that clavicle injury was very close to puncturing his trachea and aorta but the man finds ways to get injured...

Talib the concern is if he gets that big contract does he just give up and go back to how he was but the Patriots will be smart and have a contract prepared for this if he goes off rails. Look at Brent Grimes the dude was near lockdown in 2011 before his injury I'd still take a flyer. No idea why Asomugha hasn't been looked at he can still play press even if hes lost speed with competent safeties behind him he would be fine. Need to replace Gregory hes not starter material and not sure Wilson is either... So we need a safety as well.

Rather we splash cash on defense because well the offense available now kinda seems a little weak. Draft 2 WR and a CB in the first 3 rounds as well. Its just frustrating because right now I can see Brady not getting another ring again.
Reply 5481
Original post by Malevolent
Dude 2007 our offense was the JUGGERNAUT. Nothing compares to it we had Moss just catching every deep ball thrown his way. Welker having the middle all to himself because teams were so scared of it going deep. Stallworth and Gaffney as well. May not have had as many superstars on offense but damn we had the deep ball threat and we could go over middle of the field.

Right now our offense is the same. No deep threat and no way in hell our Twin headed monsters make it the whole season not injured. They played 1 game together this season which was a real shame. Brady will be furious no doubt the contract restructure was to help with Wes in mind but now hes gone. He has to develop chemistry with the new receivers and thats not what we want when we should just surround him with complimentary pieces instead of pretty crucial ones.

Amendola has better hands then Welker and is a better runner once he has the ball but the guy keeps getting injuries that are not even linked. Like if it was a hamstring problem that's fine it would be expected to be possibly recurring but theres such a variety in those injuries you think hes cursed. Shoulder, foot, triceps and that Clavicle injury. I'm not saying hes not tough because he bloody is, that clavicle injury was very close to puncturing his trachea and aorta but the man finds ways to get injured...

Talib the concern is if he gets that big contract does he just give up and go back to how he was but the Patriots will be smart and have a contract prepared for this if he goes off rails. Look at Brent Grimes the dude was near lockdown in 2011 before his injury I'd still take a flyer. No idea why Asomugha hasn't been looked at he can still play press even if hes lost speed with competent safeties behind him he would be fine. Need to replace Gregory hes not starter material and not sure Wilson is either... So we need a safety as well.

Rather we splash cash on defense because well the offense available now kinda seems a little weak. Draft 2 WR and a CB in the first 3 rounds as well. Its just frustrating because right now I can see Brady not getting another ring again.

I thought you were meaning early 2000, with the far better D! Late 2000s, especially 2007 was monstrous. So close to perfection, that was the first season I properly watched the NFL :sad:

That is a concern, I like Lloyd, but we rarely go deep, Brady obviously doesn’t feel comfortable with him. We’re still great, but we are too predictable. 10-20 yard plays on the pass 90%+. That deep option will be great. It’d also reduce the pressure on Amendola, less we’re forced to throw to him the less injuries he might get :lol:

You can say that with a lot of people and big contracts sadly, I think if we do sign him he’ll perform to the same level anyway. Secondary needs some big singings, I’d take another to compliment Vince on D-line too. Not sure who though…

True, we know Brady will produce as well anyway, get a solid D and the man will still crush up big numbers. That is a fear, I want him to get one more at least, make it almost impossible to argue that he isn’t the greatest :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Have no fear we just signed......

Donald Jones. Christ oh mighty unless we have some secret trade for Fitzgerald going on our receiving core is :cry2::facepalm::zomg:
Original post by R-KAM
I thought you were meaning early 2000, with the far better D! Late 2000s, especially 2007 was monstrous. So close to perfection, that was the first season I properly watched the NFL :sad:

That is a concern, I like Lloyd, but we rarely go deep, Brady obviously doesn’t feel comfortable with him. We’re still great, but we are too predictable. 10-20 yard plays on the pass 90%+. That deep option will be great. It’d also reduce the pressure on Amendola, less we’re forced to throw to him the less injuries he might get :lol:

You can say that with a lot of people and big contracts sadly, I think if we do sign him he’ll perform to the same level anyway. Secondary needs some big singings, I’d take another to compliment Vince on D-line too. Not sure who though…

True, we know Brady will produce as well anyway, get a solid D and the man will still crush up big numbers. That is a fear, I want him to get one more at least, make it almost impossible to argue that he isn’t the greatest :biggrin:

I want us to keep Lloyd he was the third option on our offense and still put up 900 yards. Tell me where we will find someone for less then 5 million that will be a third option and get that many yards. Yes he doesn't run after the catch but he grew in stature for us down the stretch and looked to be building some good chemistry.

We need someone to come up with that crap Wolverine is made out of so that Gronkowski, Hernandez and Amendola never get injured...

With the D line we need either a new DE who can come in on obvious third down plays to hurry the other teams QB, sorry Ninko as clutch as you are you just are not a consistent rusher or another big body to help take pressure of Wilfork so hes not like double and triple teamed every time.

All i ask is the team put us in a good position to make a run for the superbowl like what Elway has done with the Broncos, Seahawks look capable as well. Sigh...
Reply 5484
I want us to keep Lloyd he was the third option on our offense and still put up 900 yards. Tell me where we will find someone for less then 5 million that will be a third option and get that many yards. Yes he doesn't run after the catch but he grew in stature for us down the stretch and looked to be building some good chemistry.

We need someone to come up with that crap Wolverine is made out of so that Gronkowski, Hernandez and Amendola never get injured...

With the D line we need either a new DE who can come in on obvious third down plays to hurry the other teams QB, sorry Ninko as clutch as you are you just are not a consistent rusher or another big body to help take pressure of Wilfork so hes not like double and triple teamed every time.

All i ask is the team put us in a good position to make a run for the superbowl like what Elway has done with the Broncos, Seahawks look capable as well. Sigh...

Definitely improved as the season went on :top:

Hahahahaha! Forget using any cap space on FAs. Invest in adamantium bones for the entire team :laugh:

We should be looking at a superbowl run every season! :judge:

I don't ask for much :ninja2:
Reply 5485
Have no fear we just signed......

Donald Jones. Christ oh mighty unless we have some secret trade for Fitzgerald going on our receiving core is :cry2::facepalm::zomg:

:facepalm2:
Original post by R-KAM
Definitely improved as the season went on :top:

Hahahahaha! Forget using any cap space on FAs. Invest in adamantium bones for the entire team :laugh:

We should be looking at a superbowl run every season! :judge:

I don't ask for much :ninja2:

Exactly i don't care if hes a bit of a weirdo he definitely developed some chemistry near the end of the season. Had some monster games against defenses like Houston and the 49ers as well!

Yeah maybe we should do that.

Maybe we've become spoiled by the Patriots but its hard to be annoyed whats going on right now in the twilight years of TB12 career...
Reply 5487
Exactly i don't care if hes a bit of a weirdo he definitely developed some chemistry near the end of the season. Had some monster games against defenses like Houston and the 49ers as well!

Yeah maybe we should do that.

Maybe we've become spoiled by the Patriots but its hard to be annoyed whats going on right now in the twilight years of TB12 career...

We've definitely been spoiled, but for as long as Brady is here, we can expect a run at the big one. Another 3 years, get him a great team BB/Kraft for another ring. :h:
Original post by R-KAM
We've definitely been spoiled, but for as long as Brady is here, we can expect a run at the big one. Another 3 years, get him a great team BB/Kraft for another ring. :h:

Not if we don't improve and cough up the cash :wink:

We're talking to Emmanuel Sanders of the Steelers, hes someone i really like thats more like it but hes got a restricted tender.
(edited 11 years ago)
Now we're making some moves finally! John Abraham has joined. Kyle Arrington resigned which is a big god damn it to me. Apparently Lloyd is gonna ask to be restructured for more cap room which we should do to mankins his contract is just flat out ugly... Just seen the Amendola cap hit and contract and it's actually pretty damn good if he can stay healthy it's a masterstroke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm really not that fussed on the whole Welker move. No doubt it makes the Broncos even better than they were last season but in terms of the effect on the Patriots I don't think it's going to be as damaging as everyone is making it out to be. I am a huge fan of Amendola and if he can stay healthy then he is more than capable of filling Welker's cleats and some more I think. I do like the aspect that Welker, who has been talked about as being a post-season choke artist has gone to join the most notorious post-season choker in the league in Peyton Manning.. Hopefully that continues!

The Patriots are confusing me with their lack of moves defensively. I'd expected them to at least be in the running with Ed Reed and Charles Woodson and possibly even Nnamdi.. But hey, there is a decent amount of depth in the secondary in the draft. Still hoping we take a punt on Tyrann Mathieu..
Think we've missed out on Long. Definitely opens the door for D.J. Fluker in the draft maybe with the 22nd pick. It's been well publicised that we've had or having a workout with him.
Original post by Colinthepod
I'm really not that fussed on the whole Welker move. No doubt it makes the Broncos even better than they were last season but in terms of the effect on the Patriots I don't think it's going to be as damaging as everyone is making it out to be. I am a huge fan of Amendola and if he can stay healthy then he is more than capable of filling Welker's cleats and some more I think. I do like the aspect that Welker, who has been talked about as being a post-season choke artist has gone to join the most notorious post-season choker in the league in Peyton Manning.. Hopefully that continues!

The Patriots are confusing me with their lack of moves defensively. I'd expected them to at least be in the running with Ed Reed and Charles Woodson and possibly even Nnamdi.. But hey, there is a decent amount of depth in the secondary in the draft. Still hoping we take a punt on Tyrann Mathieu..

I'm sad we lost Woodhead as well. That's two of my jersey's unwearable now...
Bronco's have had to release Dumervil they didn't get the contract restructure done in time and now leaves them with a cap hit of 5.8 million dead. Finally some good news :laugh: Its the sort of mistake you expect from the Jets !
Man when Brady signed an new contract to free up space i bet he didn't think he would have a whole new set of receivers...

Lloyd to be cut.
Man when Brady signed an new contract to free up space i bet he didn't think he would have a whole new set of receivers...

Lloyd to be cut.

I know man. I feel kind of bad for Tom right now. Buty he's done this before. 2007 was a complete overhaul at WR, and look how well that went!

Lloyd could possibly return on a cheap deal though. Interest in him should be slim.
Original post by Authority_Song
I know man. I feel kind of bad for Tom right now. Buty he's done this before. 2007 was a complete overhaul at WR, and look how well that went!

Lloyd could possibly return on a cheap deal though. Interest in him should be slim.

Yeah thats's the positive Lloyd may come back real cheap which i want. I want atleast one receiver who knows the scheme. Not sure about Sanders and there's talks about a potential big trade involving the Patriots which would be interesting.
I have a feeling we might be making a big trade. Lots of mini rumblings about it being to the Cardinals or the Browns. If its the Cardinals I want to make a play at Fitzgerald. Give them a first this year a third next year and Mallet. Not sure about the logistics and the amount of dead cap the Cardinals would eat but damn we need a receiver.
I hear the Colts are gonna announce a WR signing and it could be big. Got a feeling its Victor Cruz.
Reply 5499
I have a feeling we might be making a big trade. Lots of mini rumblings about it being to the Cardinals or the Browns. If its the Cardinals I want to make a play at Fitzgerald. Give them a first this year a third next year and Mallet. Not sure about the logistics and the amount of dead cap the Cardinals would eat but damn we need a receiver.

Cardinals have signed Drew Stanton from the Colts, would be surprised if they trade for a QB now.

And I disagree about New England's need for a receiver, they've lost Welker but replaced him with Amendola. They've lost Edelman and Lloyd too, but neither was terrific last year, Lloyd put up good stats for the season, but those numbers were inflated by a few big games (I know this because I benched him in FF and he put up nearly 200 yards against the 49ers, in a move that nearly cost me my playoff spot). With Gronk and Hernandez, wide receiver isn't necessarily the need that it looks like, those 2 have the quality of a number 1 and 2 receiver set anyway.

Wide Receiver class is quite deep this year in the draft, I doubt someone like Austin falls past the Rams at 16, but in the lower first round options like Justin Hunter and Terrance Williams (whom I think will be a steal for whoever picks him up) will be worth a look.

Latest