The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soraia
I have a quick question for you very fortunate people holding offers- hope you don't mind me butting in
- did any of you currently in Yr 13 re-take 1 (or more) AS modules in your "core" subjects either in Jun of yr 12 or Jan Yr 13 (i.e. not general studies or ones that they don't care about)? And what degree will you be studying? ( I'm hoping to do Medicine).
My school says that Cambridge won't like any re-sits even in Yr 12 but their website says they don't mind the odd one. I have to decide by Monday.
Thanks guys!

Hi, I hold an offer for vet med, so very similar subject and requirement wise; I re sat physics unit two in January and am re sitting the practical EMPA because I got a B in both. I got a physics question covering a unit 2 in my interview on waves, not sure whether that was because of my score in unit two or not, but I got pooled and then an offer, so a re sit in itself won't prevent you getting an offer. Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1981
I retook two modules. In one I went from 82 to 90%.
I got a B at A2 for one subject, retook a module and went from 78 to 100%, which gave me the A I needed

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/34857

Please take the time to sign this petition! Its to prevent Michael Gove's A-Level reforms!
Original post by hogwartian1993

Please take the time to sign this petition! Its to prevent Michael Gove's A-Level reforms!

Signed and tweeted.
Original post by hogwartian1993

Signed it. I am absolutely certain that I would not have applied to Cambridge had I not had AS results to go on.
Reply 1985
Original post by Soraia
I have a quick question for you very fortunate people holding offers- hope you don't mind me butting in
- did any of you currently in Yr 13 re-take 1 (or more) AS modules in your "core" subjects either in Jun of yr 12 or Jan Yr 13 (i.e. not general studies or ones that they don't care about)? And what degree will you be studying? ( I'm hoping to do Medicine).
My school says that Cambridge won't like any re-sits even in Yr 12 but their website says they don't mind the odd one. I have to decide by Monday.
Thanks guys!

I resat C1 maths and got one more mark than the first time around (75 to 76), got a D overall and still got a place :tongue: For MML though, which isn't competitive, especially compared to medicine...

Original post by CaffeineRabbit
Signed it. I am absolutely certain that I would not have applied to Cambridge had I not had AS results to go on.

Likewise! Without them I'd never have had a shot at Oxbridge because of my GCSEs :redface:
Reply 1986
Any Northern Irish folk have offers for Girton College??? If so what course :smile:
Have to have a little St.Patrick's day celebration next year!
A little late checking in, but here it goes!
Law (affiliated) at Hughes Hall, previous undergrad from Canada in history and political science
Very excited :smile:
Reply 1988
Original post by laser174572
Hi, I hold an offer for vet med, so very similar subject and requirement wise; I re sat physics unit two in January and am re sitting the practical EMPA because I got a B in both. I got a physics question covering a unit 2 in my interview on waves, not sure whether that was because of my score in unit two or not, but I got pooled and then an offer, so a re sit in itself won't prevent you getting an offer. Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, good to know. Congratulations on your offer!
Reply 1989
Original post by Etoile
I resat C1 maths and got one more mark than the first time around (75 to 76), got a D overall and still got a place :tongue:

Thanks, that's really reassuring. And congratulations!
Reply 1990
Original post by R15EN
I retook two modules. In one I went from 82 to 90%.
I got a B at A2 for one subject, retook a module and went from 78 to 100%, which gave me the A I needed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are amazing increases in marks. The module I'm thinking of re taking is a borderline A.
Reply 1991
Original post by Soraia
Those are amazing increases in marks. The module I'm thinking of re taking is a borderline A.

Hey I had some retakes in AS, in Music which is what I actually applied for. I started Music A-level in year 10 but dropped it cos I figured I'd do better not mucking up my marks by taking random modules early (good idea.) But it meant I resat my composition module which was borderline A and it only actually went up 4 marks or something. Obviously I put an explanation in my personal statement but it was never brought up. :smile:
Also my mum was dead impressed to see that in 2 years my composition skills had improved by 4 marks. Woo teaching. :tongue:
Reply 1992
Does anyone have an offer after applying whilst on a gap year? Specifically for MML/Linguistics
Reply 1993
Original post by ConnorM
Does anyone have an offer after applying whilst on a gap year? Specifically for MML/Linguistics

That would be me, but I applied for NatSci, moreover I'm not from GB so I'm not sure if I'll be able to help. If you think I do however, go ahead and ask.
Reply 1994
Original post by Nyolg
That would be me, but I applied for NatSci, moreover I'm not from GB so I'm not sure if I'll be able to help. If you think I do however, go ahead and ask.

Do you think the gap year strengthened your application?
Ignore this post I can't delete it on my phone
(edited 11 years ago)
Any Christ's/PBS?
It would take me until October to go through them all!
Original post by ConnorM

I received a Linguistics offer whilst on a gap year. :smile: (We've talked before on the Ling applicants' thread. Anyway, feel free to PM/VM/whatever me if you think I could help in any way.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lauren245
Any Christ's/PBS?

If I make my offer I'll being going to Christ's, for Law though, not PBS.
Original post by Lauren245
Any Christ's/PBS?

PBS at Corpus here :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending