The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

PhD at Imperial College after MSc course in Earth Science?

Hi everyone,

I have an unconditional offer to attend the Petroleum Geoscience MSc at the Imperial College, starting later this year.

I know that this course is mainly for pursuing a career in the oil industry. I am however more and more considering to go for a PhD in the Earth Science department of the College after my MSc.

I am wondering, for people who know about this, is the reputation of this MSc course great enough to really help to get into a PhD, wether it is at the Imperial College or in another university, for example in the USA. I want to think that it really helps but I know of no one who did a PhD after this master.

I prefer to ask and be sure because I will be self-funded and the year cost 24000 UK pounds...

Cheers,
Franck
If your grades were good enough in the undergrad, and your application is strong, you don't even need the MSc to get into a PhD program (though it will make things easier). I'd try applying to PhDs at the same time, and connect with some of the profs at the university. Save your money if you can.

I knew a lot of people who did MScs then their supervisors just asked them to stay on for a PhD afterwards (mine asked me too, but PhDs are useless so I didn't). So yes, the MSc will help you get into a PhD at Imperial, but there is still a chance you don't need it.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by chem_eng_lol
If your grades were good enough in the undergrad, and your application is strong, you don't even need the MSc to get into a PhD program (though it will make things easier). I'd try applying to PhDs at the same time, and connect with some of the profs at the university. Save your money if you can.

I knew a lot of people who did MScs then their supervisors just asked them to stay on for a PhD afterwards (mine asked me too, but PhDs are useless so I didn't). So yes, the MSc will help you get into a PhD at Imperial, but there is still a chance you don't need it.

Cheers for your answer. The thing is I am French and I already have a French degree equivalent to MSc level. My degree, however, is far from having the reputation of the one at the IC, and it's not from the UK either. I contacted a professor from the IC for a PhD a few months ago and never got any reply so... I guess I don't have much of a choice if I want to do a PhD in the UK or the USA later on.

Why do you say that PhDs are useless? I guess it all depends on what you like and what you want to do with your life and career. I think that working and focusing mainly on a science topic that you like, and having a stable life in London for example, is a choice as respectable as going for an industry career, be sent in a location you don't want to and have to deal with a lot of management and sometimes lazy and pain in the a** colleagues (I know what I am talking about, I am currently working in a company). So please, keep an open mind :wink:
Original post by ft577
Cheers for your answer. The thing is I am French and I already have a French degree equivalent to MSc level. My degree, however, is far from having the reputation of the one at the IC, and it's not from the UK either. I contacted a professor from the IC for a PhD a few months ago and never got any reply so... I guess I don't have much of a choice if I want to do a PhD in the UK or the USA later on.

Why do you say that PhDs are useless? I guess it all depends on what you like and what you want to do with your life and career. I think that working and focusing mainly on a science topic that you like, and having a stable life in London for example, is a choice as respectable as going for an industry career, be sent in a location you don't want to and have to deal with a lot of management and sometimes lazy and pain in the a** colleagues (I know what I am talking about, I am currently working in a company). So please, keep an open mind :wink:

Well there's your problem, you "emailed" one prof and didn't hear anything. Most of those profs are so busy they don't even check their email, or they get flagged and put in some folder they never see. You need to email a bunch of profs, or the coordinators. There are also postings on the website that advertise positions, and they'll have contacts that will actually check and get back to you.

A PhD will not get you any more money, if that's what you're looking for. In the long run it will just end up costing you a ton of money, and you'll never make back enough to justify it. However, it does open up different types of job opportunities that wouldn't be available without one. So depending on what you want to do, a PhD may lead you to a happier lifestyle if research is what you want to do for a living. Plus you get to call yourself Dr., which is a plus.

I'd recommend seeking out more PhDs at other universities (and Imperial), those MSc programs are insanely expensive and not that worth it (I would know, I just finished one).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending