The Student Room Group

Can i get into a top uni for law with these A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rageagainstessays
I'm crying with laughter at their stupid comment, they'd be crying actual tears if they had to write the essays.

I know right? And nicely said! :smile:
Some people on TSR have a lot of confidence to actually comment on these things.
Overall, a mixture of responses. Mmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flavius11
Religious Studies is not the same as Philosophy and Ethics.

It is actually,
G571- Philosophy of Religion
and G572- Religious Ethics
G581 and G581
I said Religious Studies is a joke, not Philosophy and Ethics. So actually your comment is the stupid one.

As I have explained in the comment below; A level religious studies is comprised of 4 papers. Philosophy and Ethics options are 'religious' and come under 'religious studies'.
G571, G572, G581, G582.
Reply 24
I would have to disagree. Without an essay subject I think being accepted would be very difficult; it would be like applying for Medicine yet not doing any science Alevels. You cannot show the essay writing ability needed for a law degree in any other way I don't think.

Agree with your LNAT point to an extent; good LNAT + good grade in essay subject(s) is what you're aiming for if you want to impress.

This is wrong. A friend of mine studied all sciences (happened to get pretty much full marks in each of them) and is now studying law at one of the best universities in the country with me.

It is not essential to have evidence of ability to write essays, but it does make things easier when you get to university, so I would recommend at least one essay subject. Also it does show that you have some skills that are transferable to law as well, so would help in applications.

Regarding business studies, look at this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574823/Cambridge-and-LSE-in-soft-A-levels-revolt.html
I said Religious Studies is a joke, not Philosophy and Ethics. So actually your comment is the stupid one.

No, actually your really ignorant and your comment was the stupidest on this thread which actually made me and others laugh. Go on A-level Edexcel R.S and look at what it covers on the course structure. One whole unit covers philosophy, and the other covers Ethics hence it's philosophy and ethics. As my friend says : 'being ignorant is like being illiterate'. :smile:
I don't need too. Plus, validating your argument with someone else bigoted opinion doesn't work...

I know the structure, because I sat the exams on OCR.
(edited 11 years ago)
For the thread starter; sorry for ruining your thread.

I would say that a strong essay subject would be beneficial for law, so that you may sit the LNAT and score highly :smile:
Religious Studies is not the same as Philosophy and Ethics. You changed what you said.

I didn't change what I say. It's what I study on the Edexcel exam board. 'R.S.' is Philosophy and Ethics according to Edexcel and I have to say it's very interesting and challenging at the same time.
And did you edit your comment? Anyways, a friendly advise from me to you 'please don't be so ignorant' :biggrin:
I don't need too. Plus, validating your argument with someone else bigoted opinion doesn't work...

I know the structure, because I sat the exams on OCR.

I think you quoted me by accident :tongue: and I agree with you :' validating your argument with someone else bigoted opinion doesn't work...'
No, I don't make edits.

I was talking to 'flavius11'
Original post by ILoveTehran
I was talking to 'flavius11'

Sorry :frown: Lol, kinda not looking anymore haha

I like you as a user ILoveTehran
Sorry :frown: Lol, kinda not looking anymore haha

I like you as a user ILoveTehran

Lol thanks. I like you as a user too rageagainstessays :smile: Glad the confusions over haha
Original post by ILoveTehran
Lol thanks. I like you as a user too rageagainstessays :smile: Glad the confusions over haha

I think I've sorted it out now, thankfully :smile:
You should be unquoted.
I think I've sorted it out now, thankfully :smile:
You should be unquoted.

Thank you. It's fine I didn't mind it because your points were really good. :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Undisclosed 15
I want to do Further Maths, Computing, Pysics and Business Studies at As level. I have already done Maths

I am not sure which I will drop for A level

Are these subjects Ok for law even though there not like lit and history.

These are my best subjects and i have not even done history at igcse. I want to go to a top university in England.

I think it is important you take at least one 'respected' a level which indicates your ability to write fluently and articulate your arguments, however, you will need to emphasise the skills those subjects give you, that will make you an effective lawyer in your personal statement
I want to do Further Maths, Computing, Pysics and Business Studies at As level. I have already done Maths

These are my best subjects and i have not even done history at igcse. I want to go to a top university in England.

You do not need to do it at GCSE necessarily. Plenty of schools allow you to take history at AS without a GCSE in it. A couple of people in my class have done it without a GCSE in it.

Same for lit - if you've done English Language (or whatever) at GCSE (or IGCSE in your case) then it might be allowed.

Physics and maths are both fine, I had a look and actually maths is actually the most popular (along with history and english lit) A level taken by students enrolled at quite a few good universities. (looked on univesrity.which.co.uk)

Business studies isn't great for top universities, but as a fourth AS or fourth A level it should be fine.

I think an essay subject would be preferred - you will be writing lots of essays at uni after all - but strong science subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and maths won't hold you back, they're obviously very well respected :smile:

Where are you from, incidentally?
Original post by vaguity
You do not need to do it at GCSE necessarily. Plenty of schools allow you to take history at AS without a GCSE in it. A couple of people in my class have done it without a GCSE in it.

Same for lit - if you've done English Language (or whatever) at GCSE (or IGCSE in your case) then it might be allowed.

Physics and maths are both fine, I had a look and actually maths is actually the most popular (along with history and english lit) A level taken by students enrolled at quite a few good universities. (looked on univesrity.which.co.uk)

Business studies isn't great for top universities, but as a fourth AS or fourth A level it should be fine.

I think an essay subject would be preferred - you will be writing lots of essays at uni after all - but strong science subjects like physics, chemistry, biology and maths won't hold you back, they're obviously very well respected :smile:

Where are you from, incidentally?

England originally but now I live in Cyprus

Posted from TSR Mobile
England originally but now I live in Cyprus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, explains why you have a smaller range of A level options.
Reply 39

Not being overly skpetical....but your literacy skills failed to impress me. To become a lawyer you must be extremely eloquent.

Quick Reply

Latest