The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sternumator
I don't think rich people do moan, I haven't heard a rich person say 'I don't have enough money', because they obviously do. Complaining about how much you get taxed or how much you get paid is different to moaning.

Not really, it's just a different type of moaning. It's in the same category as well-off people moaning that they can't afford to gas up the Range Rover as often because of the price of fuel, or the price of Jocasta's prep school. Privileged people moan about the price of access to privileged stuff and about not having even more privelege.
Original post by Pigling
Carers allowance pay is absolutely appalling, especially as it is well known how much they save the social/health care services.

The dole shouldn't be less, rather carers allowance should be brought up so that they represent a reasonable (as opposed to gross) saving on government-funded care. In fact, increasing the wage might even save money as more people could then afford to be carers.

:frown:

Agreed. Don't understand why carers allowance is just a few pound more a week than JSA for under 25s. Most on CA are on it long term and those on JSA are on it short term.

If you're a paid carer and employed by a company, (mum is) you get more than minimum wage. (note: I am not moaning about this - they do a bloody hard job) so don't understand why it's not the same for those claiming carers allowance.
Original post by Valentas
I will study in Edinburgh Uni this year. I won't get maintenance loan, almost no support from my parents and will have to work to survive. Yet, I don't whine. That article is vile.

No surprise more and more people in the USA live in a van :smile: Cost of rent is becoming unbearable. Yet rich are never content. :\

I'm not aiming this at you particularly, but..
The bit in bold.. why does this shock people so much? Why are people surprised when they find that their student finance covers only the bare minimum? Why does everybody think they're entitled to money they've done absolutely nothing to earn? Student finance is quite rightly available only to cover the course, the rent, with a small amount left over for essentials. In the majority of cases, if individuals learn how to budget, it's absolutely possible. There is no way SFE should be paying for people to go out and get drunk, or to go on trips or have luxuries, because that's just not what it's there for.

The only thing that I believe needs to be said about this thread is that..

The family in the article work for their money.
Students are handed money to enable them to complete a degree, which they are INCREDIBLY lucky to receive. Imagine you were in a country that doesn't have this system. You'd have to save up for years and years in a crappy job if you wanted a degree.. and that's assuming your country offers education at all.

I genuinely don't understand why you feel so hard done to because you have to work to survive.. you'll be doing so for the rest of your adult life, anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
Students are the worst for this. Especially those suburban, sheltered, middle -class ones...ugh!
Reply 84
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm not aiming this at you particularly, but..
The bit in bold.. why does this shock people so much? Why are people surprised when they find that their student finance covers only the bare minimum? Why does everybody think they're entitled to money they've done absolutely nothing to earn? Student finance is quite rightly available only to cover the course, the rent, with a small amount left over for essentials. In the majority of cases, if individuals learn how to budget, it's absolutely possible. There is no way SFE should be paying for people to go out and get drunk, or to go on trips or have luxuries, because that's just not what it's there for.

The only thing that I believe needs to be said about this thread is that..

The family in the article work for their money.
Students are handed money to enable them to complete a degree, which they are INCREDIBLY lucky to receive. Imagine you were in a country that doesn't have this system. You'd have to save up for years and years in a crappy job if you wanted a degree.. and that's assuming your country offers education at all.

I genuinely don't understand why you feel so hard done to because you have to work to survive.. you'll be doing so for the rest of your adult life, anyway.

I don't feel hard done. I agree with you 100%. I just emphasize that I'm proud to work in the UK and earn a living while studying. Also I'm eternally grateful for opportunity to be exempt from fees as EU student. That means a lot and I will pay back through taxes when I graduate.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not really, it's just a different type of moaning. It's in the same category as well-off people moaning that they can't afford to gas up the Range Rover as often because of the price of fuel, or the price of Jocasta's prep school. Privileged people moan about the price of access to privileged stuff and about not having even more privelege.

You well know it's different. There's a difference between 'I haven't enough' and 'I'm having taken from me what's due to me'/ 'I'm not receiving what's due to me'.

Of course, as I've pointed out a few times in this thread, but will carry on pointing out, you're unbelievably privileged as against the majority of earth. Quite why your whining is acceptable but the whining of those who are relative to you privileged hasn't been made clear by anyone in this thread. The logical conclusion of the main line of whining in this thread is that no-one in this country, save perhaps certain especially deprived homeless people (ones without access to shelters, for instance) should be heard to complain about anything, because people exist who are worse off. Of course, the logical conclusion isn't reached by these posters, because the core of what they're saying is "they have more than me :frown: :frown: :frown:".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Valentas
I don't feel hard done. I agree with 100%. I just emphasize that I'm proud to work in the UK and earn a living while studying. Also I'm eternally grateful for opportunity to be exempt from fees as EU student. That means a lot and I will pay back through taxes when I graduate.

It was just the "I'll have to work to survive" comment I was focussing on, don't worry. Because so many people posting in this thread seem to think they have some kind of right to money.
I remember when Will Young was on Question Time and he was asked if he should get a cut in the top rate of tax as he earns more than £150,000 per Annum and his simple reply was "No". If I earned over 150k per Annum, I would have no issue at all paying 50% tax. That is what happens in a civilised society, the folk with the broadest shoulders pay more tax.. As fair as Students go, I go back in September, and I will receive £7,280 in grants and loan. When I first went to University in 2000, I had a similar household income to what I have now and I received £2,800 for the year. I know we have to take inflation into account, but students are a lot better supported now.
Original post by MancBoy
Students are the worst for this. Especially those suburban, sheltered, middle -class ones...ugh!

I don't know. I tend to find that very privileged students are often quite good at keeping quiet about their advantages and also not moaning about pretend shortages, I'm sure there are exceptions but I don't think it's the norm that they go around doing that.
We're a family of 6 and for the past few years, we're having to get by on an income of under £10,000. Next academic year, that income will be supporting a family of 4. I don't understand how she can complain about £75,000...
Original post by grape monster
We're a family of 6 and for the past few years, we're having to get by on an income of under £10,000. Next academic year, that income will be supporting a family of 4. I don't understand how she can complain about £75,000...

You'd be getting quite a lot of benefits though.
Original post by OU Student

If people don't want to do that, then don't moan. You don't need a big house.

You've clearly never been in the situation where your income drops suddenly. It's not a case of needing something - it's enjoying what you have got. When that suddenly changes, then it's a hell of a big thing, even if you are wealthy. I don't think it's at all unacceptable to complain about having to uproot your settled life and move somewhere smaller or in a cheaper area, where you probably don't want to live and are only choosing because you have no other option. I know I certainly would.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
You'd be getting quite a lot of benefits though.

And if it was up to me, I would limit child benefit to two children.
Reply 93
It's all relative. I have no money and I moan, but there are people out there that are dying of malaria and have 2 hours to live.
Original post by Cinnie
It's all relative. I have no money and I moan, but there are people out there that are dying of malaria and have 2 hours to live.

Well done. You've spotted the hypocrisy in this. :borat:
Original post by Rascacielos
You've clearly never been in the situation where your income drops suddenly.

Actually, I have and more than once too. My dad had an accident at work 9 years ago, couldn't work for 2-3 months, then got made redundant, got another job, got made redundant and got no benefits during that time. And then last year he was off for about 3 weeks and only had sick pay of £80 a week to live off.
Original post by meenu89
And if it was up to me, I would limit child benefit to two children.

would that be 2 births or if you had triplets, you'd only get benefits for 2?
You've clearly never been in the situation where your income drops suddenly. It's not a case of needing something - it's enjoying what you have got. When that suddenly changes, then it's a hell of a big thing, even if you are wealthy. I don't think it's at all unacceptable to complain about having to uproot your settled life and move somewhere smaller or in a cheaper area, where you probably don't want to live and are only choosing because you have no other option. I know I certainly would.

It's not just having to downgrade. There can be situations where you can't downgrade. If your expenditures are fixed at a high rate, and you end up with an income drop or unexpected outgoing, even if you're earning six figures you have every right to bemoan your ill fate. The pressure from that sort of thing can be awful. The mere fact that they're (relatively to most of the posters whining in this thread*) rich doesn't mean that they're never allowed to struggle.

edit: *that was supposed to be deprecatory of whiny posters, not deprecatory of people who aren't earning six figures.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
would that be 2 births or if you had triplets, you'd only get benefits for 2?

Two births, triplets would count as one.

Arguably it's tougher on people brought up in luxurious circumstances to downgrade than for people brought up in a more standard way. The stuff of many novels and screenplays!

Latest

Trending

Trending