The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Not applying for accommodation

So I have an offer for medicine at UCL and I cannot wait to start in autumn but I have a small problem regarding living arrangements. My sister has an apartment in hammersmith and financially it makes sense for me to stay with her, it's only half an hour away from uni, but I do worry about missing out. Anyone have any idea about how much of a difference it would actually make, staying in halls or just doing the travelling business? I just don't want to end up being out of the loop with everything going on simply because of location.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by dracscaper
So I have an offer for medicine at UCL and I cannot wait to start in autumn but I have a small problem regarding living arrangements. My sister has an apartment in hammersmith and financially it makes sense for me to stay with her, it's only half an hour away from uni, but I do worry about missing out. Anyone have any idea about how much of a difference it would actually make, staying in halls or just doing the travelling business? I just don't want to end up being out of the loop with everything going on simply because of location.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd personally go and live in halls. I've not yet heard from UCL, but if I did get an offer, since I live only a half away tube journey away from Euston, I'd live in halls. Mainly because I want the uni experience and being independent and I just wouldn't want to miss out on that, so saving a couple of grand won't sway my decision.
To be fair, you might not be saving as much as you might think if you take into account all your travel costs and the costs of living at your sister's place. It won't be a significant amount. I say go for halls, but that's just my 2 cents buddy
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Hmm yeah i appreciate your advice. I suppose that is my worry, that I'll end up being out the loop when everyone's living together and becoming close friends. I think I'd still have independence, but what I said above is a serious worry for me if I stayed with my sis. I checked the price difference and I would be saving around 3.5/4k a year which isn't a small amount though. With an already huge debt coming out of med school I dunno how adding to it makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by dracscaper
Hmm yeah i appreciate your advice. I suppose that is my worry, that I'll end up being out the loop when everyone's living together and becoming close friends. I think I'd still have independence, but what I said above is a serious worry for me if I stayed with my sis. I checked the price difference and I would be saving around 3.5/4k a year which isn't a small amount though. With an already huge debt coming out of med school I dunno how adding to it makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well plenty of my friends don't live in halls and they've made fantastic friends, had an amazing social life etc. You'll end up moving out for your later years anyway, and these locations will also be half an hour away. Besides, I like Hammersmith :wink:
I still live at home and I'm in 3rd year at my uni. I have plenty of friends from clubs and societies and my year group. My boyfriend was in halls and talks to about one person from his first year halls so I don't think its that big a deal plus you'll save a lot of money :smile:
Reply 5
The money is a big factor! My sister tells me the same thing, that you make most of your friends from clubs and societies as well as your course, but then I was taking her advice as bias seen as its her I'm going to live with haha. And Hammersmith is very nice I agree, I think some friends from Imperial are gonna be moving close by next year actually which will be a bonus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending