The Student Room Group

Pope Francis thinks Falklands belong to Argentina

Pope Francis appointment gives Argentina hope in Falklands dispute

http://gu.com/p/3eede

Falklands belong to the UK!

Do you think his appointment really gives up to Argentina on the Falklands dispute?

Personally, as a Catholic, I think he is wrong. Falklands belong to the UK!

Scroll to see replies

That's nice.
Reply 2
He was the senior figure in Buenos Aires. Of course he came out saying the Falklands belonged to Argentina, what else was he going to say?
Reply 3
Does anyone actually care?

I don't even know what or where the Falklands are, North Korea can have them for all I care.
The Falkland Islanders have voted to be British, so Bergoglio can do one.
I can he probably will stay neutral in this now that he is the pope.
Original post by iamthestig
The Falkland Islanders have voted to be British, so Bergoglio can do one.

How dare you insult our beloved Dear Leader, The Pope, whom we worship and adore? :shock:
Reply 7
Original post by IdeasForLife
I can he probably will stay neutral in this now that he is the pope.

I agree, I doubt he will even mention them again unless the argentina president harasses him constantly about it.
They are UK property though.
Original post by HumanSupremacist
How dare you insult our beloved Dear Leader, The Pope, whom we worship and adore? :shock:

:biggrin:
I go to a Catholic school, and I'm a Christian, which makes my annoyances at the Vatican quite blunt. :teehee:
This is one of the less stupid things a pope has said. They are usually saying, no, don't use condoms because it would be a great idea to spread HIV throughout the world ....amongst many other stupid things...
**** the pope what a delusional insane man thinks shouldn't and doesn't have any sway in the real world of politics, outside of the fantasy world of religion.
Reply 11
The falkland islands are argentinian. Why do we have a need, why do we want a small cliff of rocks which has no political, financial or geographical gain? If the Argentineans want to have it, then they should get it. Geographically and historically it is theirs. Just because we took it and put some farmers on the island to inhabit it, it doesn't mean it just becomes ours. We need to let the Industrial era, and the era where we were the biggest power in the world go. We live in the 21st century, not the 19th.
Amen to that:biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by HumanSupremacist

You do realise 'Dear Leader' refers to this fella, yes?

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by nikkoch
The falkland islands are argentinian. Why do we have a need, why do we want a small cliff of rocks which has no political, financial or geographical gain? If the Argentineans want to have it, then they should get it. Geographically and historically it is theirs. Just because we took it and put some farmers on the island to inhabit it, it doesn't mean it just becomes ours. We need to let the Industrial era, and the era where we were the biggest power in the world go. We live in the 21st century, not the 19th.

1 - it was ours first.
2 - nothing else matters because it was ours first and the people who live there want it remain that way.
Reply 14
Argentina itself is a product is colonialism. Does he think he is native Argentinian? :lol:
Reply 15
Original post by nikkoch

They discovered oil and will start producing by 2017 I think, so... They are more than a "small cliff of rocks". AND it has British citizens living there. PLUS, it serves as a port when British ships want to go to South America.
Reply 16
He is Argentinian and as an Argentine bishop you could argue he was within his rights to speak his personal views. Now he is Pope I think he ought to stay neutral in public. Argentina does seem to be gaining favour/sympathy in the international community though, and if the Pope uses his influence to convince more people in predominantly Catholic countries to side with Argentina this could make things more difficult for Britain. Even America, who sided with us in 1982 seems to be on the fence at best - at least in public. I doubt if Obama would come to Britain's aid if there was another crisis.

Interestingly though I believe I read somewhere that there is a group of mainly younger Argentines who are questionning the Argentine goverment's rhetoric about their claim to the islands.
Reply 17
Well Mr Pope you're wrong.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Argentina itself is a product is colonialism. Does he think he is native Argentinian? :lol:

Funnily enough, the chap (who is called "Pope" Francis) is the son of Italian immigrants who came to Argentina. So, in actual fact, the chap is actually ethnically Italian. :facepalm:
Reply 19
Well, the majority of people don't give a flying fig about what the pope thinks, so it's not going to make a difference. And even if people did care, the Falklanders have ONCE AGAIN chosen to remain British.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending