The Student Room Group

LSE Maths and Econ/MMORSE Warwick

I've somehow gotten into both unis, both are unconditional offers. (Not the greatest set of GCSEs for anyone interested)

I've gathered that LSE probably has best graduate prospects, it's really prestigious, bad student to lecturer ratio, probably better for post graduate study, not really social unless you try more (than you would in Warwick). The MMORSE course is more appealing to me, Warwick undergrad life is more appealing tbh.

What would you do in my situation?
Reply 1
I'd go for LSE, but thats only my opinion.
Reply 2
100% LSE if it was me, however London may not be your thing...
Reply 3
I have a similar problem with Warwick: MMORSE or LSE: Actuarial Science... Reading the times guide and a lot of stuff on here, LSE has almost no social life (apparently) and is all study, but good if you want to know half of the countries politicians, and want to show off. Warwick has really good access to their research, and a really respected maths department. Plus, MMORSE sounds really fun. Both have really good graduate prospects (LSE is slightly higher, but both in top 10).
LSE: "Almost" guaranteed great grades.
Brilliant place to get connections.
But, it is supposed to be boring (socially)
Warwick: Great campus.
MMORSE looks awesome.
Cut off from the city.

As far as job prospects are concerned, as long as you get a 2:1, you won't have any problem getting a good job, so base it on which sound more your thing, rather than which will put you in a better position. They are WARWICK and LSE after all!
Reply 4
Original post by TheJoshwha
I have a similar problem with Warwick: MMORSE or LSE: Actuarial Science... Reading the times guide and a lot of stuff on here, LSE has almost no social life (apparently) and is all study, but good if you want to know half of the countries politicians, and want to show off. Warwick has really good access to their research, and a really respected maths department. Plus, MMORSE sounds really fun. Both have really good graduate prospects (LSE is slightly higher, but both in top 10).
LSE: "Almost" guaranteed great grades.
Brilliant place to get connections.
But, it is supposed to be boring (socially)
Warwick: Great campus.
MMORSE looks awesome.
Cut off from the city.

As far as job prospects are concerned, as long as you get a 2:1, you won't have any problem getting a good job, so base it on which sound more your thing, rather than which will put you in a better position. They are WARWICK and LSE after all!

MMORSE looks fun definitely, no doubt about it.

What are you leaning towards?
Reply 5
I'm really liking Warwick, but something tells me that saying no to LSE is a crime! I'm thinking possibly Warwick, but I'll fully decide after the LSE visit day. Have you read the uni pages on this? They are written by students, like "a week in the life of a ________ student" and accommodation stuff, I found it pretty interesting to flick through, might help out a bit
Reply 6
I'm really liking Warwick, but something tells me that saying no to LSE is a crime! I'm thinking possibly Warwick, but I'll fully decide after the LSE visit day. Have you read the uni pages on this? They are written by students, like "a week in the life of a ________ student" and accommodation stuff, I found it pretty interesting to flick through, might help out a bit

Link? :colondollar:

It does feel like a crime..
Reply 7
Warwick: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Warwick
LSE: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/London_School_of_Economics
All the stuff is off of respective links throughout, and quite a few at the bottom :smile:
Reply 8
London or Coventry should be your real question.

What do you want to do after undergrad?
Reply 9
Not sure about "gymrat", but I want to be an actuary, either course I'll be in the same position with the same job, just MMorse is a year longer (but is a masters), and it is all about showing off/uni experience for me in choice now (I am also looking at cass).
Reply 10
Original post by CD315
London or Coventry should be your real question.

What do you want to do after undergrad?

I'm in london now, its where I've been for the past 19 years.

Not too sure yet..job or further study..
Reply 11
Original post by gymrat
I'm in london now, its where I've been for the past 19 years.

Not too sure yet..job or further study..

Well if you want to get away, you should go for Warwick. There's also the prospect of a masters at LSE!
Reply 12
Not sure about "gymrat", but I want to be an actuary, either course I'll be in the same position with the same job, just MMorse is a year longer (but is a masters), and it is all about showing off/uni experience for me in choice now (I am also looking at cass).

I think MMORSE provides more options than others, in case you decide against the prospect of actuarial work (that's why I chose to apply for maths as opposed to actuarial science!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending