The Student Room Group

What to do after law degree?

Hi everyone!

I'm a law student mid way through my three year undergraduate degree and faced with the question of 'What next?' regarding my career.

I don't have a lot of legal work experience - I have spent a few days in a small local firm and completed one day of judge shadowing.

My CV is decent I would say, I have a couple of part-time jobs and I've done some volunteering.

I don't have too many links with people in law firms (no family in the profession) and whilst I have applied for vacation schemes, I've had two rejections so far and as a result I don't feel too confident of securing a TC next Autumn. So at this stage, I'm not sure I'll go straight into legal training.

Anyone else in this position or stage in their law degree/career? Or anyone been through similar circumstances?
Reply 1
Original post by flavius11
If you haven't got a vac scheme or mini pupillage this summer then your cv is not 'decent', it's 'lagging behind most people with any prospect of employment'. Get with it bruv.

I wonder why you have two warnings with comments like that.

Putting that aside, I'm pretty open-minded career wise so without seeing my CV, I don't think you're in any position to judge. I have completed other forms of work experience, held other part-time jobs and completed volunteering at Uni and school age.

I have applied for 6 Vacation schemes in Dublin/Belfast and I have had a response from 2 applications (Matheson/Pinsent Masons).

I appreciate your reply, albeit quite a short, rude and unhelpful one, but I am interested in hearing from other students about their experiences so far in applying for vac schemes and what consideration they have given to other careers and academic paths beyond their law degree.
Reply 2
Honesty and bluntness don't do down well with people round here but I'm not gonna pussy foot around to avoid offending a few people who live in complete denial.

Your failure speaks for itself buddy, it's you with the problem not me. Vac schemes in Belfast are gonna be easier to get on than London so if you're struggling there then you seriously have cv/application technique issues.

Take it badly if you want mate but I'm being honest with you.

I respect honesty mate, that said, nobody asked for a blunt opinion, it is possible to have a discussion without making assumptions about others or exchanging derogatory comments.

You're also forgetting or have paid no attention to the fact that I set the title of the thread as "What to do after law degree?" because I am open to other career options. You may be dead keen and set for a career in law, others might not be.
Reply 3
Blunt = useful, albeit might offend. Lovely and rosy = lovely and rosy but usually less useful.

I'm guessing from your lack of success so far that you're not conveying a passion for law in your applications. It's understandable, and something a lot of people struggle with. Look at accountancy with the big 4 (they take quite a few lawyers traditionally) or a 'different' kind of law like the Government Legal Service. Good career prospects + different work + you could stay in Ulster potentially if you wished. If your heart isn't leading you towards commercial law that's a sign and it seems like you've realised that.

That was a much better post!

I enjoy business and that is the area of law I wish to study more in final year when picking optional modules. Personally though, I have no desire to pursue a career in London, no matter what the profession - none of my applications for vac schemes are for large London firms, all Dublin and Belfast.

I've enjoyed my law degree so far and I am of course considering a career in law, but I'm also open to spending another year studying (possibly abroad) or pursuing a career in another field. That's why I started this thread, to get ideas from others and to hear their experiences.

"Success" isn't measured by a couple of applications for a vac scheme also, but I've a feeling we'll disagree on that.
Original post by Cmca1
Hi everyone!

I'm a law student mid way through my three year undergraduate degree and faced with the question of 'What next?' regarding my career.

I don't have a lot of legal work experience - I have spent a few days in a small local firm and completed one day of judge shadowing.

My CV is decent I would say, I have a couple of part-time jobs and I've done some volunteering.

I don't have too many links with people in law firms (no family in the profession) and whilst I have applied for vacation schemes, I've had two rejections so far and as a result I don't feel too confident of securing a TC next Autumn. So at this stage, I'm not sure I'll go straight into legal training.

Anyone else in this position or stage in their law degree/career? Or anyone been through similar circumstances?

I don't share Flav's pessimism. You haven't really told us enough to make judgments.

Do you want to become a solicitor? Do you intend to stay in NI? To be frank, I'm not sure you will get a good assessment of your chances if you've only done six apps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I don't share Flav's pessimism. You haven't really told us enough to make judgments.

Do you want to become a solicitor? Do you intend to stay in NI? To be frank, I'm not sure you will get a good assessment of your chances of tube only done six apps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would prefer to be a solicitor yeah, but since I study a mixture of Irish/N.Irish/English law I'd be open to working in Belfast or Dublin.

What stage are you at yourself?
Reply 6
Fair point on the success.

You thought about EU at all? Speak any foreign languages?

7 years of Spanish behind me, though didn't continue this as a minor with my LLB, but I have considered EU yeah!
Reply 7
Original post by Cmca1
7 years of Spanish behind me, though didn't continue this as a minor with my LLB, but I have considered EU yeah!

If you want to do EU get on the EU Fast Stream in Britain if possible.

A lot of my course go the EU route (we all do work experience in EuroParl in 3rd year) and the College of Europe route seems tough compared to going through the government.

Also, 2 VS rejections does not mean you aren't up to standard for Law, particularly given the nature of PM's ridiculously long application, swear it's more of a test of stamina than ability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cmca1
I would prefer to be a solicitor yeah, but since I study a mixture of Irish/N.Irish/English law I'd be open to working in Belfast or Dublin.

Well I didn't do an LLB, so I confess I can't really answer your question regarding 'what to do with an LLB'.

However, I did get a TC with a well known national firm (with the odd international office) in my final year.

I'm halfway through the LPC now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cmca1

Also I'd second Roh about the applications.

I got three TC offers from 5 Vac schemes which were the result of 18 applications. It's a numbers game really.

I confess I employed a bit of a scattergun approach, but they were all decent apps spread between November 1st and January 31st.

In any case, my offers were from three of my 'favourite' firms in my favourite location.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Also, yes, Pinsents' application process is a real marathon!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thanks for the responses!

PM's application was quite longwinded yeah! I think they also have a link with Matheson (MOP) because both firms had similar application processes and sent the same rejection emails - only difference was that they were signed off by different people, ha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending