The Student Room Group

Isn't this sexist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It's not sexist in and of itself, because there are plenty of personal reasons for wanting to live with the same gender which don't involve any generalisations of anyone else. Many people (optimistically) think they will be distracted by the raw sex appeal of any one who doesn't have matching bits, for example :p:

I don't think most girls avoid guys because they think they'll be murdered(!) but even were that the reason, as a generalisation it is actually true that you're more likely to be killed/raped by a man than a woman.

I don't think it's sexist if the generalisation is a) largely true (eg: girls have more shower products, I want my shower space - for example from a man), but b) you can accept it doesn't apply to everyone.
Reply 21
It's acceptable because it is discretion over your own personal life, whether sexist or not. I don't think landlords should be able to discriminate though.
Assuming it was posted by a girl, she may feel uncomfortable sharing a place with a strange fella.
Reply 23
Original post by QuentinMids
Assuming it was posted by a girl, she may feel uncomfortable sharing a place with a strange fella.

and a girl couldn't be strange? that's like saying 'i can't hang around with a black guy, cas he probably has a knife tucked away in his pocket'
Original post by Parx
my point exactly. o it is sexist - because they are assuming that they 'could' live with some potential creep/ etc. It's a bit like men generalising women as being housewives who should stay in the kitchen and so on.

No. You're assuming that. And in a way, you could be called sexist by 'assuming that us girls think like that'. But I'm not going down that route :P

Girls may not want to live with guys as they may be more uncomfortable around guys if they are in Pajamas, states of undress as leaving the bathroom, don't want guys feeling uncomfortable if they leave tampons lying around or spend 'too long' in the bathroom, etc. Doesn't mean they think the guy is a 'creep', just feel uncomfortable walking around in underwear if there are guys present rather than girls.

As I said previously, guys may not feel the same way if walking around in boxers if they live with girls.
Reply 25
Original post by Parx
Just reading some ads for single rooms on gumtree. lots of quotes such as 'note: looking for girl only' on the ads. Isn't that rather sexist? Other way around it would be wouldn't it!
It is sexist, but that is not necessarily the same as being wrong. Tbh, any laws about this kind of thing just waste everyone's time. Imagine if they weren't allowed to advertise for girls only, and interviewed everyone. You as a bloke would turn up, with them already having decided they don't want you but they aren't allowed to tell you until after they've spoken to you, and even then they have to make up some bs as to why they didn't pick you. Your time is wasted because you never had a chance, and they can't spend as much time on girls who will actually have a chance.
Reply 26
All I'm tying to get to is that we're told we shouldn't hold segregated thoughts such as 'black people are criminals' or 'that asian man is a terrorist', yet in many ways girls hold segregated and stereotyped thoughts about guys.
Original post by Mother_Russia
No. You're assuming that. And in a way, you could be called sexist by 'assuming that us girls think like that'. But I'm not going down that route :P

Girls may not want to live with guys as they may be more uncomfortable around guys if they are in Pajamas, states of undress as leaving the bathroom, don't want guys feeling uncomfortable if they leave tampons lying around or spend 'too long' in the bathroom, etc. Doesn't mean they think the guy is a 'creep', just feel uncomfortable walking around in underwear if there are guys present rather than girls.

As I said previously, guys may not feel the same way if walking around in boxers if they live with girls.

That could be viewed as sexist.
Reply 28
well i guess if it was a house full of girls they mightn't want a guy in there i don't think its sexiest really its more girls not wanting to share with a guy like bathrooms and stuff sometimes it can be weird just depends i wouldn't read much into it unless its a house of men looking a girl now that would be weird.....
Original post by venenecinema
That could be viewed as sexist.

Not when someone makes statements about their own observations. Please refer to my previous post.

Generalisation, but it could be a reason.
Original post by Mother_Russia
Not when someone makes statements about their own observations. Please refer to my previous post.

Generalisation, but it could be a reason.

Sexism is a generalisation based on gender, regardless of whether it is a reason or observation.
Reply 31
business-man-crying.jpg
Original post by eliza.anne
It's not sexist. Guys do not understand the importance of mud wrestling and nude pillow fights like girls do. :rolleyes:

Actually, they both sound rather entertaining - if only I were a girl... :moon:
Reply 33
Original post by CLS94
Actually, they both sound rather entertaining - if only I were a girl... :moon:

Hahahah. It is only something girls can understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it is sexist and most likely based on nothing but ignorance and denial.

All these girls saying "I get on better with girls" is horse ****. Every house of just girls end up going one way - huge fights and gummed up plumbing every 28 days.
Original post by Parx
my point exactly. so it is sexist - because they are assuming that they 'could' live with some potential creep/perv etc. It's a bit like men generalising women as being housewives who should stay in the kitchen and so on.

Do you really care that much?
Reply 36
Original post by siwelmail
Do you really care that much?

Well yes I do actually. I'm flicking through various websites to find a room for myself only to find 1 in every 3 ad's being listed with some quotation such as 'vacancy for girl only' ad.

So yes I care that much.

Problem?
Female bathrooms and male bathrooms are not sexist. Neither are split changing rooms. And neither is this

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest