The Student Room Group

Do these A Levels leave my options open?

Initially I was thinking of doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and RE as my A levels for a career in nursing. But now I really don't want to do Chemistry and would much rather have an A level in French. I know that Chemistry would make more sense, especially if I seek a career in nursing. However I'm not really sure what on earth I want to do any more. Would I be taking a risk in taking French instead of Chemistry?
Thank you x
My friend has gotten into university to study nursing and she didn't even do Chemistry! She studied English (can't remember which off the top of my head.. I want to say Language), History and French at A2 (she dropped German after AS) so if you don't do science subjects that doesn't mean you can't do nursing :smile:

Another friend of mine took Chemistry (dropped at AS after she got an E), Biology, Psychology and English Language and she also studies nursing at university :smile:

Hope this helps! Look at any universities that you're thinking of going to and have a look to see if they specify any subjects :smile: x
Reply 2
Original post by alice.babee
My friend has gotten into university to study nursing and she didn't even do Chemistry! She studied English (can't remember which off the top of my head.. I want to say Language), History and French at A2 (she dropped German after AS) so if you don't do science subjects that doesn't mean you can't do nursing :smile:

Another friend of mine took Chemistry (dropped at AS after she got an E), Biology, Psychology and English Language and she also studies nursing at university :smile:

Hope this helps! Look at any universities that you're thinking of going to and have a look to see if they specify any subjects :smile: x

Thank you so much!!
Reply 3
Hey,
It depends really on which type of university you want to apply to. At Birmingham, for example, they only want one of Biology, Sociology or Psychology and you can pick whatever you like for the other two. To be honest, I don't think you really need Chemistry for nursing. If you think you will get a better grade in French then go for it.
As you will choose two of the suggested subjects I think you will be fine but check the websites of the universities are interested in to be sure.
Hope this helped.
Reply 4
Think to yourself how hard you find chemistry, and whether you dislike it enough not to take it.

The reason I say this, is Chemistry and RE and two subjects which keep your options very available. For most scientific degrees, chemistry is what they look for. Even medical schools don't mind not having biology, but chemistry is essential. RE also is extremely universal, and universities like that subject. I'd say Chemistry, Maths, and RE and perhaps English Lit are 4 subjects that keep your options open.

I understand your desire to do a language, as I also had trouble deciding to do German. I also had trouble today deciding to keep it on as an A2. Do the language. Unis will like that too, and having a language will always make you a more rounded person.

I say drop the psychology. It's an interesting subject, but no universities will require a psychology A level for a degree. If your intentions are to keep your options open, and have subjects that your universities will appreciate, but you can still continue French, try:

Biology, Chemistry, RE, French.

Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:

-Edit- The person above is correct, look at what universities want on their websites. Very important to do your homework before finding out that you've dropped an essential subject for your degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I agree with the OP - Biology, Chemistry, RE and French would be the absolute ideal combination!If you don't enjoy Chemistry you could always drop it after AS but it really is a very versatile subject, not to mention fascinating :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by cazmasetro
Think to yourself how hard you find chemistry, and whether you dislike it enough not to take it.

The reason I say this, is Chemistry and RE and two subjects which keep your options very available. For most scientific degrees, chemistry is what they look for. Even medical schools don't mind not having biology, but chemistry is essential. RE also is extremely universal, and universities like that subject. I'd say Chemistry, Maths, and RE and perhaps English Lit are 4 subjects that keep your options open.

I understand your desire to do a language, as I also had trouble deciding to do German. I also had trouble today deciding to keep it on as an A2. Do the language. Unis will like that too, and having a language will always make you a more rounded person.

I say drop the psychology. It's an interesting subject, but no universities will require a psychology A level for a degree. If your intentions are to keep your options open, and have subjects that your universities will appreciate, but you can still continue French, try:

Biology, Chemistry, RE, French.

Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:

-Edit- The person above is correct, look at what universities want on their websites. Very important to do your homework before finding out that you've dropped an essential subject for your degree.

Thank you! Very informative :smile: I don't MIND doing chemistry as such because in my first module I got an A* but in this second one I dropped to a B. My only concern is the maths, I'm absolutely 100% certain that is a huge factor that knocked my grade in module two. The chemistry teacher said that there would be a lot of maths in this particular course and I'm slightly concerned. Do you happen to know anything about the mathematical part of the course? I simply cannot work well with numbers, not my strong point at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Erin101
Thank you! Very informative :smile: I don't MIND doing chemistry as such because in my first module I got an A* but in this second one I dropped to a B. My only concern is the maths, I'm absolutely 100% certain that is a huge factor that knocked my grade in module two. The chemistry teacher said that there would be a lot of maths in this particular course and I'm slightly concerned. Do you happen to know anything about the mathematical part of the course? I simply cannot work well with numbers, not my strong point at all!

Well. What A level course will you be doing? I do AQA, so that's all I know.

Moles. Moles moles moles moles moles. In my AS course there are two main units, and an ISA practical exam. Moles is quite a heavy chunk in the first unit. Depending on how hard you found moles in GCSE, the longer it'll take you to 'get' moles at AS.

The thing with moles, however, is that the questions they can give you are very limited. Most of the time, they're very very similar. So the hardest part is understanding it. I say, if you have the resilience to practice exam questions, come exam time, you'll find moles pretty trivial. Ask questions when you don't understand, I didn't have the foggiest when we were taught moles, so it's gonna take a while before you do. I ended up getting 100 UMS for Unit 1, so I'm sure it's possible to do well, even if you don't initially get it.

The second unit has enthalpy changes. The maths required involves adding and subtracting certain amounts of energy from each other. I'll be honest, this can be confusing.

I'd say, there is a considerable chunk of maths in AS chemistry. About a quarter of it. But the questions asked are VERY repetitive. If you have the resilience to practice, and ask questions though. I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you have any more questions, or want me to expand on anything in my chemistry course, then just ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest