The Student Room Group

How to look older?

I'm 15 years old, 16 this year but I'm mostly mistaken for a 12 year old probably because I'm really small for my age and I have a baby face. I tend to wear more boyish clothes (hoodies, trainers, etc) and I don't like wearing make up. I feel ridiculously self conscious in more girly clothes and make up so I tend to veer more into a tomboy style. I never leave home without wearing a hoodie.

Can someone please give me advice on how to look older?

Scroll to see replies

Be confident within yourself :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheGoonerGirl
I'm 15 years old, 16 this year but I'm mostly mistaken for a 12 year old probably because I'm really small for my age and I have a baby face. I tend to wear more boyish clothes (hoodies, trainers, etc) and I don't like wearing make up. I feel ridiculously self conscious in more girly clothes and make up so I tend to veer more into a tomboy style. I never leave home without wearing a hoodie.

Can someone please give me advice on how to look older?

It's harder for a girl sure to look older, if it was a guy I would have said to grow a beard, lol. Going towards a tomboy style will make you look younger.

Maybe heavier makeup? A purse? Jewelry?
Tbh you probably need to wear make-up and more girly clothes if you really do want to look older.
Wear more makeup, accentuate your... Womanly assets and try different clothes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by danielnkwocha
Wear more makeup, accentuate your... Womanly assets and try different clothes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Womanly assets! :lol: I started wearing them years ago!
Reply 6
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
Tbh you probably need to wear make-up and more girly clothes if you really do want to look older.

Make-up really does not suit my face. I might wear lip balm and very rarely, lip gloss but that's it.
Reply 7
Certain styles of makeup and clothing will make you look 2-4 years older, there's tutorials on youtube etc.
Grow a beard
If you're a girl, draw one on
Reply 9
Get maried/divorced/have kids/losse your job/house/etc

Meanwhile ENJOY being young
Surely you don't want to be pushing prams anytime soon? Why would you wanna look older? Enjoy youth, you're only having it for a few more years. I'm 19 and I still get ID'd almost everywhere and sometimes my friends get amazed by it.

Who cares what people think, society is ugly. Be yourself. You'll never be happy at the end of the day unless you start to love and embrace being yourself.
push up bra and tight jeans and then plaster yourself with make up.
Original post by advice_guru
It's harder for a girl sure to look older, if it was a guy I would have said to grow a beard, lol. Going towards a tomboy style will make you look younger.

No you wouldn't. Someone at 15 "growing a beard" results in a looking like a bum.
Reply 13
Get a walking stick and hobble around Morrisons complaining about the youth of today!
hey, don't wear makeup coz these guys are telling you to. Some people don't like wearing makeup, some people do. But just don't but it on for the sake of putting it on.
I mean, if you really are worried about the age you portray why not try a different style of hair. But ONLY if you want. I'm just saying it can shape someone's face and sometimes bring out the cheekbones on a girls face, but heck you're only 15 so I wouldn't worry too much!
You can always keep the hoodies, but wear skinnier jeans or leave the trainers at home and wear some ankle boots or dolly shoes. But don't force any change upon you. Only change if you really want to and if you feel like it.
Reply 15
Who gives a ****. Do what you want. Gender is a social construct, just because your a female doesn't mean you need to dress 'like a girl'. Whatever suits you :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Don't worry about how old you look. I am 22 and people think I am 17 and it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, the longer I can keep it up the better lol. However, it does sound like you have some self confidence issues which is the problem here not how old you look. I went through a tom boy phase when I was your age because I believed make up didn't suit me and girly clothes but that was just down to me not finding 'my style' yet. This will come to you with age. If you want to wear make up but you just do not think it suits you then you maybe are not picking the right things due to inexperience. Try asking a older friend/relative to help you or pop into boots/house of fraser etc where people can show you what suits your skin tone. Also a hair cut that suits your face shape and is nicely styled can make all the difference to your appearance and confidence. But do it because it makes YOU feel good, don't worry about what others think.
Find a nice man, who likes a girl that looks 12.
Reply 18
Grow a beard :redface:
I get told I look 14. I'm 23 in 2 months :sigh:

Original post by advice_guru

:lolwut:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest