The Student Room Group

English students planning to study at Scottish Universities for 2013

I'm from England and will be hopefully going to the University of Glasgow this September. I'm slightly nervous how it will be studying in Scotland and whether I can fully intergrate and make loads of friends at uni there.

I would be very grateful for any people's opinions and experiences of how it is like moving from England to Scotland to study there.

Anyone else who is in the same position please feel free to add to the thread and share any worries or positive info :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Certainly worried about no one being on my course.
Reply 2
Original post by AmmeS
Certainly worried about no one being on my course.

Hey what do you mean? no one you know being on your course? If thats the case I'm in exactly the same position :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Castiel'
Hey what do you mean? no one you know being on your course? If thats the case I'm in exactly the same position :tongue:

Yeah, applied for earth sciences, haven't really seen any one on here, who said they're doing the same course. What did you apply for?
Reply 4
Original post by AmmeS
Yeah, applied for earth sciences, haven't really seen any one on here, who said they're doing the same course. What did you apply for?

Oh okay but you have to remember studentroom only represents a small fraction of all the applicants :smile: and I've applied for Medicine
Hey, I've applied to Glasgow too, for immunology. I'm worried about moving to live in a big city since I'm from a very small town. But I'm obviously excitied to go there, provided I get the grades, because Glasgow, as a city and a university, looks absolutely amazing.
Reply 6
It's just the travel to and from England that might be a bit of a pain. Especially between term time when you'll need to empty your room. But as for the uni and city, I'm quite looking forward to it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Original post by TK95
It's just the travel to and from England that might be a bit of a pain. Especially between term time when you'll need to empty your room. But as for the uni and city, I'm quite looking forward to it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Do we have to completely clear our rooms between term time?
Original post by AmmeS

My cousin did that degree at Glasgow Uni. In her final year they went to Spain for two weeks http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/ges/whyglasgow/fieldcourseblogs/spain2009/
Reply 9
Do we have to completely clear our rooms between term time?

Doesn't going through private accommodation and sharing a flat with other people sound like a better idea?
Reply 10
Original post by AmmeS
Doesn't going through private accommodation and sharing a flat with other people sound like a better idea?

It may be less social though from what I've heard as people tend to keep to themselves
Reply 11
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
My cousin did that degree at Glasgow Uni. In her final year they went to Spain for two weeks http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/ges/whyglasgow/fieldcourseblogs/spain2009/

Did she like it?
Reply 12
It may be less social though from what I've heard as people tend to keep to themselves

I might still do that, however, I do want to make some friends, but I feel like halls aren't worth the price.
Reply 13

Hi ArcadiaHouse do you go to Glasgow uni? If you do could I ask a quick question, are there many english people in Glasgow? and how do English and non english students get on at the uni? :smile:
Original post by AmmeS
Did she like it?

Yes she loved it, she did a Master's at Birmingham (which she hated) and is now doing a PhD at Edinburgh. She's talking about becoming a town planner in New Zealand which can make £1,000 a day!
Reply 15

Just checked that link out, it looks pretty awesome, does she know anything about the year abroad option?
Hi ArcadiaHouse do you go to Glasgow uni? If you do could I ask a quick question, are there many english people in Glasgow? and how do English and non english students get on at the uni? :smile:

Yes I do! There are LOADS of English people at Glasgow, from all over England. Some days I hear more English accents than Scottish ones. I have met people from Newcastle, Liverpool, Sheffield, London, the home counties ... :smile: Everyone gets on really well, I can really only speak for the arts faculty but it's a very friendly atmosphere. My dissertation supervisor is English and so are most of the lecturers I've had! There are people from all over the world here so you really have nothing to worry about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AmmeS
Just checked that link out, it looks pretty awesome, does she know anything about the year abroad option?

She didn't do a year abroad, sorry! There's bound to be loads of info about it though.
Reply 18
She didn't do a year abroad, sorry! There's bound to be loads of info about it though.

Man, I'm quiet excited about moving up there. I will get the grades I don't care if I loose all my hair in the process.
Original post by AmmeS
Man, I'm quiet excited about moving up there. I will get the grades I don't care if I loose all my hair in the process.

Good luck! 'Tis a great uni. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest