The Student Room Group

How much money do you spend on food at Uni weekly?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beansontoast93
I happen to be on sainsburys online right now, so I'll try to make a list :smile: :

Semi Skimmed milk (4pints): £1.29
Sainsburys basics white bread (you could buy wholemeal if you prefer for same price) : 50p
3 packs of Sharwoods Chilli medium noodles, each 375g (contains small amount of egg):
£3.00 for three deal
2 packs Quorn chicken style pieces (not real chicken) 300g: £1.89 x 2= £3.78
Stir Fry vegetables 700g: £1.00
Sharwoods Soy sauce: £1.09
2 jars of Strawberry Jam, each 454g: 29p x 2= 58p
Sainsbury's wholemeal rolls x 6 2 packets= 70p x 2= £1.40
2 packs of Vegetarian Sausages pack of 6 (so 12 in total): deal for 2 packs = £3.00
English mustard: 30p
Quorn sizzling vegeterian burgers 160g: £2.25
Sainsbury's soft spread 1kg: £1.35
3 packs of Diet Cola 2l each: 51p in total

total: £20.50 :smile:

you could use the vegeterian chicken with the noodles, and put soy sauce over it and fry it up with the vegetables. And you could put the vegetarian sausages in the bread rolls, and put mustard on it. And you could have the white bread with your saussages also (they would also be nice in the stir fry too!) or with your burgers. Or you could have a jam and butter sandwich.
And you would definetly not run out of cola lol :smile:
Hope I helped! :redface:

Thanks for the help, I feel guilty that you would use your time to research and make the list for me. Thanks though, am very grateful.
Reply 21
Original post by laura94
I spend about £20 a week, but you can easily get away with less. Also I'm in London which means there are only 'local' and 'express' stores (near me anyway) so everything is ridiculously expensive!

Give me some tips, I'm going City university Sep 1st. Applied for East something rooms. 249 per week. Could of got 183 or 290 something but I wanted the middle deal.

Is the prices really bad? Isn't there any Billa, Lidl, Aldi and Netto anywhere?
Original post by Vibenation
Thanks for the help, I feel guilty that you would use your time to research and make the list for me. Thanks though, am very grateful.

no problem :smile:
Original post by Willbean
Give me some tips, I'm going City university Sep 1st. Applied for East something rooms. 249 per week. Could of got 183 or 290 something but I wanted the middle deal.

I'm from London, (though I'll be going to uni in sunderland in september :tongue:) but to be honest the prices really aren't too bad. In Scandinavia, the prices are ridiculous!! The prices in London are brilliant in comparison. There is a netto, in Stamford Hill, which is in east London. It's not a very nice area at all though, it's quite run down and I wouldn't suggest travelling all their just for cheaper food, as the people aren't very friendly, you get barged, the ques start at one side of the shop and continue until the end of the shop, all the trollies are useless and the wheels don't work, and the staff aren't friendly either. But the food is very, very cheap in Netto.

Morissons is cheap, there's loads of those all around London. There's a big one in Holloway Road, it's really cheap and there's lots of stuff to chose from. Holloway isn't too far from east London, the 253 bus goes straight to Hackney. Also, there's another big Morrisons in Stamford Hill, but it's in the nicer part of Stamford Hill, close to Stoke Newington, unlike Netto, which is facing Upper Clapton road (I was raised there so I know :tongue:). That Morrisons is also nice and cheap and there's lots of food. There's also a big Tesco's in Tottenham. There's lots of supermarkets everywhere basically, you won't have to look too far to find a cheap one. And there's a lot of cheap markets too around the whole of London, where you can get fruit. Ridley Road market in Dalston is a bit of an unpleasant area tbh, but the fruit at the market is very cheap. I've seen good fruit markets in Camden Town too. There's lots all around London. There's also a massive Sainsbury's in Camden that is surprisingly cheap, there's also an Iceland near by which has very cheap ready meals and a lot of meal deals. There's also a lidl in Camden too. Hope I helped :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm from London, (though I'll be going to uni in sunderland in september :tongue:)

Just going to randomly butt in here, if you're going to be travelling from sunderland to london and back again for holidays and such it might be worth looking into the mega bus, i can get from newcastle to birmingham and back for £17 which would usually cost over £100 on the train, if you book early enough (about 3-4 weeks) you can get a single on the megabus for like £7 it's amazing! mega money saver :smile:
Reply 25
I'm from London, (though I'll be going to uni in sunderland in september :tongue:) but to be honest the prices really aren't too bad. In Scandinavia, the prices are ridiculous!! The prices in London are brilliant in comparison. There is a netto, in Stamford Hill, which is in east London. It's not a very nice area at all though, it's quite run down and I wouldn't suggest travelling all their just for cheaper food, as the people aren't very friendly, you get barged, the ques start at one side of the shop and continue until the end of the shop, all the trollies are useless and the wheels don't work, and the staff aren't friendly either. But the food is very, very cheap in Netto.

Morissons is cheap, there's loads of those all around London. There's a big one in Holloway Road, it's really cheap and there's lots of stuff to chose from. Holloway isn't too far from east London, the 253 bus goes straight to Hackney. Also, there's another big Morrisons in Stamford Hill, but it's in the nicer part of Stamford Hill, close to Stoke Newington, unlike Netto, which is facing Upper Clapton road (I was raised there so I know :tongue:). That Morrisons is also nice and cheap and there's lots of food. There's also a big Tesco's in Tottenham. There's lots of supermarkets everywhere basically, you won't have to look too far to find a cheap one. And there's a lot of cheap markets too around the whole of London, where you can get fruit. Ridley Road market in Dalston is a bit of an unpleasant area tbh, but the fruit at the market is very cheap. I've seen good fruit markets in Camden Town too. There's lots all around London. There's also a massive Sainsbury's in Camden that is surprisingly cheap, there's also an Iceland near by which has very cheap ready meals and a lot of meal deals. There's also a lidl in Camden too. Hope I helped :smile:

Have you applied and got a spot? How much is you're accommodation?
Original post by Care-Free
Just going to randomly butt in here, if you're going to be travelling from sunderland to london and back again for holidays and such it might be worth looking into the mega bus, i can get from newcastle to birmingham and back for £17 which would usually cost over £100 on the train, if you book early enough (about 3-4 weeks) you can get a single on the megabus for like £7 it's amazing! mega money saver :smile:

didn't know that! thanks a lot, i'll check their website now :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Willbean

Hey well my accommodation is £157 per week so I guess I'm lucky in that respect although it's still expensive. Next year my rent is about £130.
There's an iceland sort of near me but I tend to cook from scratch and eat quite healthily so they don't have much of the stuff I actually want to buy. There are cheaper places so I could easily get away with spending less but I'm quite picky with food.
I spend £20. I tend to buy fresh fruit and vegetables a lot so it could be made cheaper.
I used to spend £10 a week. But now I'm fat. :lol: maybe not but I like a wider selection of food.
Reply 29
Original post by laura94
Hey well my accommodation is £157 per week so I guess I'm lucky in that respect although it's still expensive. Next year my rent is about £130.
There's an iceland sort of near me but I tend to cook from scratch and eat quite healthily so they don't have much of the stuff I actually want to buy. There are cheaper places so I could easily get away with spending less but I'm quite picky with food.

157? You living in someone's shed? The cheapest I got for my uni is 187 and it's like a box really.
I feel kind of lucky that my accommodation will be only about £77 per week :redface:
Around £60 a week.
Sunderland halls :smile: there's cheaper rooms too, some are just £65 :redface: ensuite rooms where about £87
my mum always used to buy those 11p noodles! And she'd put stir fry vegetables, some soy sauce and some seafood with it. It's really tasty that like that, and really cheap too :smile:
Yep, I'll definetly be looking for foods that can be frozen when I buy at uni.

That was so cute, and your picture AWWWWWWWW o_o
Reply 34
That's true, my brother pays £800pcm for his room and he lives in Crouch End. Whereas I can get a 2 bedroom flat all to myself in Scotland for £400pcm. Crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't be that bad of an idea :wink:
Yeah, the rent is pretty crazy here, I live and was raised in London, sometimes the prices can be quite shocking really :redface:
Reply 36
Can we have mini fridges at uni? My mum buys me this Chinese noodles that are quick to make and come in boxes containing loads of them. Might stack up on them when I go.
Reply 37
2 pizzas, £3
Eggs £1
Bread 80p
Milk £1
Orange Juice £1
Cereal £2

That is my minimum spend, can easily and nicely manage to eat of less than £10 a week...
But I like food too much so I spend £30 and if I have more money more than that.
Cigarettes are the worst when trying to spend as little as possible.
I can't wait to go to Uni. This sounds so cool

Posted from TSR iPad
I know the feeling, which is why I chose a uni as far away as possible but still in England :wink:
I was raised in east London (clapton/stamford hill area) up until I was 15, before moving to the much nicer north west part of London also :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest