The Student Room Group

Why do pregnant women get free NHS?????

Just found a NHS form and it says that you get free NHS treatment if you are:

- Pregnant

- Had a child in the last 12 months

- You are aged 18 in full time education

- You or your partner are named on a current HC2 NHS charges certificate

- You or your partner are named on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate

- You or your partner receive Income support, income-based jobseekers allowance or pension credit guarantee credit

(Yes, I also thought most of that sounds like complete BS)

Why on earth are pregnant women and those who have had children within 12 months given free NHS???? So a woman who is a millionaire gets 19 months of free NHS? What a smart idea.....

Also, it should not be 18 and in full time education, it should be just whether you're in full time education.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by billydisco
Just found a NHS form and it says that you get free NHS treatment if you are:

- Pregnant

- Had a child in the last 12 months

- You are aged 18 in full time education

- You or your partner are named on a current HC2 NHS charges certificate

- You or your partner are named on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate

- You or your partner receive Income support, income-based jobseekers allowance or pension credit guarantee credit

(Yes, I also thought most of that sounds like complete BS)

Why on earth are pregnant women and those who have had children within 12 months given free NHS???? So a woman who is a millionaire gets 19 months of free NHS? What a smart idea.....

Also, it should not be 18 and in full time education, it should be just whether you're in full time education.

Because presumably they can't work because we hope they're either (a) on maternity leave, or (b) busy looking after their child adequately :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Someone in full time education has the option of working. Someone who is either pregnant or has just recently given birth, doesn't.
Reply 3
Maybe its also because the health of children affects everyone.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
Someone in full time education has the option of working. Someone who is either pregnant or has just recently given birth, doesn't.

If they can't afford a dental bill- how can they afford a child?
Reply 5

Then why don't 16 year olds have to pay for their NHS treatment? They can work....
Reply 6

Not true, the CEO ( at least I'm pretty sure that's her title) of yahoo only took a week or so off before returning to work...
Reply 7
Original post by billydisco
If they can't afford a dental bill- how can they afford a child?

Well done on missing my point. How many women do you know can go back to work within a few weeks of giving birth? Some plan their children and save up.
Reply 8
Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of the NHS that its free anyway...?
Reply 9
Well done on missing my point. How many women do you know can go back to work within a few weeks of giving birth? Some plan their children and save up.

I didn't miss your point. I just asked you how can a woman not afford a dental bill, but can afford a child? Please answer....

Ooooo I wonder if this is dwelving into the destruction of the traditional two-parent family. Why can't future-dad support the pregnant woman? Oh I know! Because they aren't together hahaha!!! We're talking about "benefit culture Britain" here!
(edited 11 years ago)
In what area of the NHS are you talking about? Because I always thought the NHS was free except for dental work? Or am I missing something?
Original post by leah_morgan
In what area of the NHS are you talking about? Because I always thought the NHS was free except for dental work? Or am I missing something?

If you're pregnant or given birth within 12 months, you're entitled to free dental care and prescriptions, regardless of income.
Reply 12
The NHS is free anyway, and they're pregnant - therefore hardly able to pull their weight as a normal person would be able to, so they should be offered some perks.
This only applies to dental work, and pregnancy often has detrimental afftects on the teeth so pregnant women may need dental work not due to lack of care for their teeth. Also, some of this treatment including anything that requires X-rays, cannot take place during the pregnancy. Therefore it can take place afterwards.
Original post by cl_steele
Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the point of the NHS that its free anyway...?

No, no, no. You misunderstand.

The point of the NHS is that somebody else is paying for it.

That somebody else is you, the taxpayer.
Original post by x__justmyluck
This only applies to dental work, and pregnancy often has detrimental afftects on the teeth so pregnant women may need dental work not due to lack of care for their teeth. Also, some of this treatment including anything that requires X-rays, cannot take place during the pregnancy. Therefore it can take place afterwards.

Interesting. Apart from the x-ray stuff, I didn't know that.
If you're pregnant or given birth within 12 months, you're entitled to free dental care and prescriptions, regardless of income.

Right dental care! Now it makes sense!

I understand why it's free for pregnant women and women who've given birth in the last 12 months because dental health is linked to many parts of the body, so if you have bad dental hygiene it does affect the other parts of your body - I don't know the details but that's what my dentist told me - so they need to make sure that the woman is in the best health she can be whilst pregnant. I think the year thing is because of breast feeding - like I said, I don't really know the details. These are just guesses :smile:
Reply 17
Whilst you are busy destroying the premise of the NHS, don't forget those who are over 60 who also do not pay. They get it free too.
Spare a thought that they have contributed all their working life.
Also be realistic about thoseprgnant women and nursing mothers. One of them was presumably your own mother at one time?
Reply 18
The NHS is a contributory scheme. The greater majority of us are contributors. Some have not contiributed, but they are alos allowed to use it.
The health of the mother and the unborn child are important and it is easier to keep someone well rather than treat something you may have prevented. Post Natal care is also important since the hormones of birth affect your joints and tissues maiking them more prone to disease.
The free prescriptions includes folic acid tablets that pregnant women are supposed to take until they are 12 weeks pregnant. This is to help prevent spina bifida, which I'm sure would cost the NHS a lot more than those tablets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending