The Student Room Group
St Mary's Road Campus
University of West London
London

Who's going to the University of West London in 2013?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Guys inbox me, I need to know people for when we start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Mary's Road Campus
University of West London
London
Reply 41
Where all you all from? London? Outside the UK? I kinda am. I'm half French but been in the UK since 2000- I live in Sheffield.
Reply 42
Original post by jessicamendes1
Really want to live in a shared house too!!!!

Have you started looking for a place yet? ;p I'm putting it off till nearer summer although I probably should be trying to secure somewhere now :s-smilie:

Original post by sat1983
Where all you all from? London? Outside the UK? I kinda am. I'm half French but been in the UK since 2000- I live in Sheffield.

I'm from down the road in Chesterfield ;p
Reply 43
Original post by sat1983

Thats pretty interesting, im from Kent, just under and slightly east of London

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Chesterfield? Small world!! Let's all keep in touch- it's nice to know folk before we've even started!
Hi,

I have received conditional offer, I have to pass IELTS exam as a proof of my language level because I'm not native speaker. I've applied for Airline and Airport Managment and I'm really excited about September :smile:
Is anybody currently at university in west london and can tell me about the nightlife/clubs/bars etc?
Reply 47
I've been offered a place from UWL (film prod) but still not sure, as the area itself is great. But its ranking by some of the papers isn't the greatest. Can anyone persuade me otherwise XD
Reply 48
Original post by Its_Jasper
I've been offered a place from UWL (film prod) but still not sure, as the area itself is great. But its ranking by some of the papers isn't the greatest. Can anyone persuade me otherwise XD

I was very happy with UWL's stats in regards to student satisfaction and career prospects after leaving in regards to my particular course.

I would check the UCAS stats and such for your particular degree, the overall university ranking doesn't necessarily mean much.
Reply 49
Im exactly the same atm, I've accepted the film production as my firm but I dont know whether to do a late application to westminster or wait a year:/ I can only find showreels and hardly any student work online, I need previous students advice? Oh and did anyone go for an interview for the film course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VSilva
is anyone going to study 'Criminology, Policing and Forensics' at UWL (University of West London) 2013?

Yeah I got an offer for that :smile: Have you been to an open day yet to see what it's like?
Reply 51
Hi, is anyone going to study music performance in september? :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by YouSirName
Im exactly the same atm, I've accepted the film production as my firm but I dont know whether to do a late application to westminster or wait a year:/ I can only find showreels and hardly any student work online, I need previous students advice? Oh and did anyone go for an interview for the film course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brother we are in the exactly the same boat. I looked for so many showreels and clips. All I could find was a couple of old videos of them talking about the course and such. But they dont mention anything about equipment or nawt. I would be incredibly disappointed if I went there and found them using Sony Z5's. But then again its in a brilliant part in london. Very little crime in ealing. Not to mention its connectivity with ealing studios and the opportunities it has to offer. But will the course itself be enough? Im going to an open day next month how ever id rather not wait that long. Accommodation gets snapped up rather quickly. So id like to make my choice asap.

Btw I applied to Westminster last year... took forever for them to get back. To which I thought it best to take a gap year and save some money up so I dont go to uni totally relient on student finance.
Reply 53
This is exactly my thinking too. I went to the open day and I couldnt work out if they were only using Z5's (or similar) or if they didnt have access to the best equipment that day! I wasnt entirely convinced on the day:s saying that Ealing is an amazing town and very close to central london, I just think the course might let it down a bit:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Yes the Uni its self is in a good location, but im worried I wont enjoy the course. It all looks too academic, I think UWL would be far to theory based and not mentally stimulating. Like il be sat there listening to some guy ramble on about when he met Peter jacksons cousin in a lift once instead of his own experience. I showed my friends the video to west london and they said judging by the looks of it, I wouldn't have a fun time. 'No room to be breath and get a little wild on campus'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27zfmmBIQfg
Reply 55
Haha actually you've got the complete wrong end of the stick, the course is like 70% practical (the most practical in the UK according to the students on the open day)! Westminster is way more theory based, im more worried that the facilities/equipment wont be enough! Honestly, this course is the opposite of lectures, you'll see on the open day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AJ_Moose
Have you started looking for a place yet? ;p I'm putting it off till nearer summer although I probably should be trying to secure somewhere now :s-smilie:

I'm from down the road in Chesterfield ;p

Ive looked at a few places; um but i'll look again in the summer
Reply 57
Yup, unconditional offer for Events Management starting in september. :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Zara!
Oh, that sucks. Do you live far? I was worried I was going to be late, but ended up being 5 minutes early. I remember a couple of people coming in around 2:30 during the presentation, and my mother was like "What's the point of coming now?". I was looking around for you, to see if I can spot you. LOL. It was great, and had a friendly but professional atmosphere. We had a tour of the Paragon campus. We had a look at some lie detector equipment in a room, with a graph full of peaks etc. This equipment in that room can be used for any of our practicals in the upcoming years. There was the eye tracker where a participant sits down, and has to look at the monitor in a particular position and should really keep it there to ensure extra accuracy. Then, they had to stare at various pics such as: a Koala bear, penguins etc. Then, afterwards the guy would go back and show which pics they looked, and what part e.g. the middle penguin, and head they focused most on. Those parts are highlighted in red, and the other parts merely looked at are in green. There are also coordinate points to show the starting direction of where they looked first, to the end. We split into 2/3 groups so we could have a tour to look around, so it wouldn't be too crowded in one area. There are many computers around. When we were finished, we all came together to the room where lectures/seminars take place with a presentation given about the Uni and Psychology courses on offer. A couple of graduates came to discuss about their Uni experiences as well. There was a feedback form to fill out too, with a free pen provided. It all officially finished around 3ish, but there was an accommodation tour as well, which a handful of people went to look at. I did, because we weren't getting collected until later, since we thought it would finish at 5 like it stated. It was nice and modern (the hallways were pretty narrow though. I imagine what it must be like if someone was quite obese.), even though I am planning to commute from home. It costs £135.50 (I think it was but it was give or take 50p or something similar) per week for a room (That is subject to change though, since that is the price for this year), which had an en-suite bathroom as well. There are shuttle buses as well, and we had a look at the other main campus at Ealing as well through that method (Although, only a couple of other people went along with us). It takes around 20 minutes to go back and forth. Luckily for us, the buses came quickly. The other campus has a couple of nice restaurants; one was a fancy and posh - it costs £15-£20 for a 3-course meal, and the other restaurant costs only around £6 for a set menu of a 3-course meal of the day (Apparently, there is a massive queue at lunch time. You can also observe them cooking and preparing the food through the glass into the kitchen), and a large library with 4 floors; 1 and 3 were for silent study. 2 was just a normal, average one, and 4 was for group work and presentation. We can get most/all of the relevant Psychology books at the library at the Paragon campus, so we won't need to travel to the our campus for our books.

Wow. I wrote a massive chunk of writing without paragraph spacing. Sorry, I apologise.

Thank you so much! it's so detailed, did they talk about how the course is? like how much of it is exams/coursework? Ooh wish I'd of went then, cause I called them off the motorway and they said I'd be too late :/ I'm from Sheffield, we did end up going to London but not for the reason we'd planned lol. Did you think it was worth going to? I'm not sure if I should go to the next one and are there shops around the campus? how close is it to the centre of London?
Reply 59
Original post by YouSirName
Haha actually you've got the complete wrong end of the stick, the course is like 70% practical (the most practical in the UK according to the students on the open day)! Westminster is way more theory based, im more worried that the facilities/equipment wont be enough! Honestly, this course is the opposite of lectures, you'll see on the open day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I dont think I do. As I have a friend who started film prod there. He didn't give me much insight (to tell the truth we barely talk now) but when I asked him last year why he left he said it's because he spent a lot of his time in lectures having his tutor continuously quote things from their 'failing published novel'. Hence the shred of doubt I have and if they did do a lot of practical how come nothings posted on youtube or vimeo from the uni? I've only found one guys showreel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending