The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be offended if I refused to eat Halal?

If I came to your house for a meal and you served Halal meat which I refused to eat it would you be offended?

It would be on the grounds that the animal may not have been killed in the most humane way possible and I don't want to eat something killed in the name of a god I don't believe in and whose teachings I don't like.

So would you be offended and on future occasions would you be willing to cook me non halal meat? As some vegetarians will cook meat for their non vege friends?

Edit: Obviously, this is a question for Muslims.

Edit: Thanks for the advice on letting the chef know in advance. The only problem is how to know if someone is a Muslim. I know some people are very open about their faith but others are not. It might be seen as insensitive if I asked ever person of Arab/ SE Asian/ E African decent if they are a Muslim when they invite me over.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seeing as I'm not a Muslim, no.
Reply 2
Seeing as I'm not a Muslim, no.
Reply 3
Would I be offended? Couldn't care less (I am Muslim).

Would I cook you non-halal meat? No. Muslims are not meant to handle things that are not halal.

You should inform me prior to coming over and I'll make you something veggie.

Would I think you're overreacting? Yes
not offended at all....id think you were being a bit of a diva
but i wouldnt cook you non-halaal meat
you'd probably just have to eat veggies
Reply 5
For Religious reasons, you only eat Jhatka meat.
Reply 6
I'd eat Halal meat at a friends if that's what they served, I wouldn't buy Halal for myself though, and I'd object if it were used by my company or something.

That said, if I had an Islamic friend and I was making dinner, so long as it was no real extra hassle I'd make the effort to buy and cook Halal for them if that's what they wanted, though that's not a situation likely to ever happen.
It's the same as a Muslim refusing to eat non-halal meat, isn't it? I dont think most people would be offended, I wouldn't lol But if someone's really uh, intense about their religious beliefs they'll get irrationally offended and you probably wouldnt have to eat at their place again :tongue: . You're better off not telling them you don't like their god though, because thats kind of a harsh thing to say to someone!
I always wondered if anyone ever has a problem with halal meat, since I went to Singapore and they sell halal almost everywhere and it was kind of strange since its not even an islamic state :biggrin:
i'm not a muslim but your reasoning sounds a bit silly/petty to me!
why would you care if the meat is killed in the name of their God if you don't believe their God exists
what difference would it make to you life ?
Reply 9
Original post by chanelleisme
why would you care if the meat is killed in the name of their God if you don't believe their God exists

But it's not killed in the most humane way possible. That's the issue, not the religious aspect.

EDIT: Why the negs? Halal ISN'T the most humane way. I wouldn't refuse point blank to eat meat if I knew it was Halal, I was just explaining why people have issues with Halal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jacob :)
If I came to your house for a meal and you served Halal meat which I refused to eat it would you be offended?

It would be on the grounds that the animal may not have been killed in the most humane way possible and I don't want to eat something killed in the name of a god I don't believe in and whose teachings I don't like.

So would you be offended and on future occasions would you be willing to cook me non halal meat? As some vegetarians will cook meat for their non vege friends?

Edit: Obviously, this is a question for Muslims.

My family aren't muslim save my father, so my aunt once had this 'issue'. I wouldn't be surprised as people are too ignorant. ( Not saying you are!) Probably annoyed if you didnt tell me in advance.

just curious, Surely you'd eat kosher meat, even though they slaughter the same way as Muslims and our rules are ridiculously similar. My atheist brother happily eats halal meat. Christian friends and family too.

Id definitely be curious as to why you think halal meet seems to be inhumane. Compare how we do it to the recent videos of unhalal meat of horse/beef burgers with animals getting shot in the head... Shariah law doesn't permit this. .
Reply 11
Original post by DitzyWanderer
It's the same as a Muslim refusing to eat non-halal meat, isn't it? I dont think most people would be offended, I wouldn't lol But if someone's really uh, intense about their religious beliefs they'll get irrationally offended and you probably wouldnt have to eat at their place again :tongue: . You're better off not telling them you don't like their god though, because thats kind of a harsh thing to say to someone!
I always wondered if anyone ever has a problem with halal meat, since I went to Singapore and they sell halal almost everywhere and it was kind of strange since its not even an islamic state :biggrin:

It's a bit hypocritical, but some people see it as quite a different thing.

I do have a Muslim friend who says that he must eat Halal, because God/Allah has commanded it, but I shouldn't have a problem eating Halal because it's not against my religion, as I'm an athiest. So a kind of atypical, slightly hypocritical religious argument, but luckily it's not too common :smile:
Original post by madders94
But it's not killed in the most humane way possible. That's the issue, not the religious aspect.

Who said halal meat is inhumane? There a petty media frenzy over halal meat, simply on Islamophobia, yet the same people have no clue what makes halal meat different. Honestly, how many people do know what makes it halal? Many Muslims themselves don't actually know, but they're strict to eat halal meat only. Too much ignorance.
Original post by pomegranat0
Who said halal meat is inhumane? There a petty media frenzy over halal meat, simply on Islamophobia, yet the same people have no clue what makes halal meat different. Honestly, how many people do know what makes it halal? Many Muslims themselves don't actually know, but they're strict to eat halal meat only. Too much ignorance.

Is it not true that the animal has their throat slit and then left to bleed to death?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by chanelleisme

It's not to do with religion but the way the animal was killed. OP is objecting to the way which the animal was slaughtered i.e. not humanely.

To be fair, if I knew that an animal had suffered in the way it was killed, I probably wouldn't eat it.
Original post by Steevee
It's a bit hypocritical, but some people see it as quite a different thing.

I do have a Muslim friend who says that he must eat Halal, because God/Allah has commanded it, but I shouldn't have a problem eating Halal because it's not against my religion, as I'm an athiest. So a kind of atypical, slightly hypocritical religious argument, but luckily it's not too common :smile:

Thats cool, my brother is the same as you eats down my halal meat. Why frenzy about it, no one cared as much when revealed the horse meat scandal so I don't see how halal meet is unethical.
Reply 16
Original post by pomegranat0
Thats cool, my brother is the same as you eats down my halal meat. Why frenzy about it, no one cared as much when revealed the horse meat scandal so I don't see how halal meet is unethical.

Well, I'd never intentionally buy it, but if someone else has cooked it there's no point not eating it. It's a bit different to the Horse meat thing in my opinion.
As an ex Jew, I wouldn't be offended if you refused to eat kosher food. Kosher food is much more difficult to deal with than halal though, because Jews make everything much more strict. All the plates and pots MUST NOT touch anything non-kosher, so if you came to the house we wouldn't be able to make you anything non-kosher in our own dishes.

Of course now that I'm an atheist I cook whatever I want, but I have a whole set of dishes prepared for whenever my mum comes to visit so I can prepare her kosher food.
Reply 18
I'm not Muslim. But, I would be annoyed that you hadn't stated earlier. If I had a vegetarian friend I would cook them a veggy meal. But if I had cooked a meat based meal and THEN they tell me they're vegetarian then I'd also be annoyed. It's just rude to not inform the chef before they cook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
No not at all, its up to you. Just like you respect our views on not eating non halal meat, we respect yours :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending