The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by Soraia
Thanks, that's really reassuring. And congratulations!

No problem, thanks :h: It's weird because I got a place with a D, yet people with straight A's are rejected... who knows what is going on there :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
No problem, thanks :h: It's weird because I got a place with a D, yet people with straight A's are rejected... who knows what is going on there :dontknow:

Well, I guess maths doesn't really contribute much to languages :tongue: And given you did well in your other subjects they just ignore the low mark.

Similarly I got a C in physics AS and hold an offer for geography, and I know of several others in a similar position who got less than a B in their 4th AS. Of course, if I were applying for a science, I'd have no chance, really.
Reply 2002
anyone else going to be 17 still in october?
Original post by Jackkkkk
PBS at Corpus here :smile:

It's a really tiny course compared to my other ones!
Reply 2004
Original post by Bulbasaur
Well, I guess maths doesn't really contribute much to languages :tongue: And given you did well in your other subjects they just ignore the low mark.

Similarly I got a C in physics AS and hold an offer for geography, and I know of several others in a similar position who got less than a B in their 4th AS. Of course, if I were applying for a science, I'd have no chance, really.

True :lol: My boyfriend got a B in philosophy and he was rejected for maths. We clearly picked better courses :teehee:
Original post by Lauren245
It's a really tiny course compared to my other ones!

pbs at trinity hall :smile: yes you're right i think its only going to be 65 students!
Original post by zoee1111
pbs at trinity hall :smile: yes you're right i think its only going to be 65 students!

Yeah, Cardiff is my insurance and that's 120! Talk about a select group!
Reply 2007
Original post by bíborcsiga
I received a Linguistics offer whilst on a gap year. :smile: (We've talked before on the Ling applicants' thread. Anyway, feel free to PM/VM/whatever me if you think I could help in any way.)

Oh yeah hi :smile: what did you do on the gap year and do you think it helped the application?
Reply 2008
Original post by hogwartian1993
I have an offer on a gap year but I'm not MML/Linguistics (but not far off) as I'll be doing Latin and ancient Greek?

Oh okay that's pretty close - what are your plans for the year?
Original post by Etoile
True :lol: My boyfriend got a B in philosophy and he was rejected for maths. We clearly picked better courses :teehee:

Oh awkward!
That kinda reminds me actually. A teacher I had last year (she studied Law at Cambs) told me of this couple at her old sixth form where the guy got in and the girlfriend didn't. The guy rejected Cambridge so they could both go to Durham (I think?), and by the time uni started they'd broken up :lol:
Original post by ConnorM
Oh yeah hi :smile: what did you do on the gap year and do you think it helped the application?

Yes, I think it helped quite a lot actually. I don't know how it works in the UK, but in my country most university lectures are open to the public, so this year I'm attending some Linguistics lectures at the local university (meaning I'm not enrolled, I just go in and noone really minds or even notices). So that first of all helped me decide whether the course at university level was really for me, plus I could mention it in my PS, which I guess showed commitment. Also, I think things I picked up in the lectures might have indirectly helped in the interviews.

Apart from that I do other language-related stuff: I'm teaching English (as a foreign language) and am learning languages myself. Naturally, not everything I do is related to Linguistics, but these were the things I mentioned in my PS. :smile:

I think for most Arts subjects they don't really mind if you take a gap year, and if you're applying for languages some colleges even have some preference for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pr100
Any Northern Irish folk have offers for Girton College??? If so what course :smile:
Have to have a little St.Patrick's day celebration next year!

Hi! That'd be good, better than this year's anyway! I've an offer for Trinity but there's hardly anyone else from Norn Iron on here that I have found so far :frown: my offer is for HSPS :smile:
Reply 2012
Original post by bíborcsiga
Yes, I think it helped quite a lot actually. I don't know how it works in the UK, but in my country most university lectures are open to the public, so this year I'm attending some Linguistics lectures at the local university (meaning I'm not enrolled, I just go in and noone really minds or even notices). So that first of all helped me decide whether the course at university level was really for me, plus I could mention it in my PS, which I guess showed commitment. Also, I think things I picked up in the lectures might have indirectly helped in the interviews.

Apart from that I do other language-related stuff: I'm teaching English (as a foreign language) and am learning languages myself. Naturally, not everything I do is related to Linguistics, but these were the things I mentioned in my PS. :smile:

I think for most Arts subjects they don't really mind if you take a gap year, and if you're applying for languages some colleges even have some preference for it.

All sounds good, yeah I can see why it may be a preference - I'm going to be living and working in France for the year whilst applying for French/French and Philosophy at Oxford :smile:
Reply 2013
Original post by ConnorM
All sounds good, yeah I can see why it may be a preference - I'm going to be living and working in France for the year whilst applying for French/French and Philosophy at Oxford :smile:

Why Oxford?
Oh awkward!
That kinda reminds me actually. A teacher I had last year (she studied Law at Cambs) told me of this couple at her old sixth form where the guy got in and the girlfriend didn't. The guy rejected Cambridge so they could both go to Durham (I think?), and by the time uni started they'd broken up :lol:

I'm in a similar situation to this actually. Except that I have no plans of rejecting Cambridge. :rolleyes:
Reply 2015
Original post by Pandin
Why Oxford?

I want to study French alone or alongside Philosophy and the Oxford course just appeals to me more
Original post by Caitlin_dj
Hi! That'd be good, better than this year's anyway! I've an offer for Trinity but there's hardly anyone else from Norn Iron on here that I have found so far :frown: my offer is for HSPS :smile:

I'm from Northern Ireland! :smile: Offer for Law from Christ's.
Reply 2017
Original post by tryingtolearn94
Anyone for corpus? :smile:

And any law people?

Hey, I've got an offer from Corpus, may have met you at the interview day cause I met quite a few Law people. I'm doing History of Art
Reply 2018
Oh awkward!

Awkward :eek:
I am not rejecting Cambridge :lol: I'm sure we can get trains or something idk, probably better that we didn't end up at the same place in case we break up when we are there!
Original post by CaffeineRabbit
I'm from Northern Ireland! :smile: Offer for Law from Christ's.

I'm from Northern Ireland too :smile: I'm at Cam at the moment, but I'm just a lurker here. :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending