The Student Room Group

Am I entitled to a medical exemption certificate?

Hi guys, when I went to pick up my usual prescription from my pharmacy, one of the staff members told me that I should apply for a HC2 certificate as I will be charged for them when I turn 19 in July.

I've had a look around the internet and noticed that I may qualify for a medical exemption certificate because I have an underactive thyroid meaning my levothryroxine tablets are a life long treatment.

Can anyone confirm this and let me know how I should go about pursuing the certificate?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Hi guys, when I went to pick up my usual prescription from my pharmacy, one of the staff members told me that I should apply for a HC2 certificate as I will be charged for them when I turn 19 in July.

I've had a look around the internet and noticed that I may qualify for a medical exemption certificate because I have an underactive thyroid meaning my levothryroxine tablets are a life long treatment.

Can anyone confirm this and let me know how I should go about pursuing the certificate?

Thanks in advance.

You can ask for a HC1 form to fill in, it will ask you about your income and overheads etc. they will then write back to you to tell you if you are entitled to help with health costs. These certificates are valid for a year so you have to reapply before it runs out.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
You have to get your GP to fill in a form for the exemption certificate. They last 5 years and aren't based on your income.
Original post by OU Student
You have to get your GP to fill in a form for the exemption certificate. They last 5 years and aren't based on your income.

Thank you, do I need to obtain the form in advance or will my GP's surgery have one in stock?
Reply 4
Thank you, do I need to obtain the form in advance or will my GP's surgery have one in stock?

Only your GP has them.
Original post by myblueheaven339
You can ask for a HC1 form to fill in, it will ask you about your income and overheads etc. they will then write back to you to tell you if you are entitled to help with health costs. These certificates are valid for a year so you have to reapply before it runs out.

I had a look at the NHS website and I don't think I need a HC2 certificate (i'm aware this is given after a HC1 application) if i'm entitled to a medical exemption certificate as it's not income based. Thanks for the help though, I can pass the information onto my brother who won't qualify for a medical exemption.
Only your GP has them.

Okay, i'll make an appointment to see him in that case. Thank you for your help. :smile:
I have a medical exemption certificate because I'm diabetic. I got a form from the doc receptionist, filled it out and then the doc just signed it.

I tend to find no one actually asks me for my card (that's what you get to prove you have an exemption certificate) if I tick the medical exemption box on the prescription for some reason =/
Original post by Sally <3 Howl
I have a medical exemption certificate because I'm diabetic. I got a form from the doc receptionist, filled it out and then the doc just signed it.

I tend to find no one actually asks me for my card (that's what you get to prove you have an exemption certificate) if I tick the medical exemption box on the prescription for some reason =/

Oh I see. Does your medical exemption certificate cover all of your prescription charges or is it focused solely on the named medical condition? Diabetes in your case.

Also, how long did it take for the whole process because I still have a good 4 months before I turn 19.
Reply 9
Oh I see. Does your medical exemption certificate cover all of your prescription charges or is it focused solely on the named medical condition? Diabetes in your case.

Also, how long did it take for the whole process because I still have a good 4 months before I turn 19.

It covers everything. So if you need antibiotics for a chest infection, they're free as well.

When I did mine back in 2008, it took 4 weeks.

Like OU student said it covers everything. I also have to take cholesterol pills and I never pay for those.

It only took a couple of weeks for mine to come.
It covers everything. So if you need antibiotics for a chest infection, they're free as well.

When I did mine back in 2008, it took 4 weeks.

Original post by Sally <3 Howl
Like OU student said it covers everything. I also have to take cholesterol pills and I never pay for those.

It only took a couple of weeks for mine to come.

That's good because I would have had to pay a steep cost for the rest of my medication. I think I might just apply for the certificate now just to get it out of the way.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply 12
I have one and I'm sure I had to get the form before taking it to the doctor. If you're going just for that it would be worth checking that they actually have the forms first.

Sent from my GT-S5363
I had a look at the NHS website and I don't think I need a HC2 certificate (i'm aware this is given after a HC1 application) if i'm entitled to a medical exemption certificate as it's not income based. Thanks for the help though, I can pass the information onto my brother who won't qualify for a medical exemption.

Apologies, I misread your post. Thought it was a HC2 you were after.

Original post by myblueheaven339
Apologies, I misread your post. Thought it was a HC2 you were after.

No worries, thanks for the help, regardless.
Original post by Juno
I have one and I'm sure I had to get the form before taking it to the doctor. If you're going just for that it would be worth checking that they actually have the forms first.

Sent from my GT-S5363

I need to see my doctor anyway, so i'll just ask when i'm there.

Quick Reply

Latest