The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would you be offended if I refused to eat Halal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cattty
obviously :rolleyes:

if you are brain dead, you cannot feel pain.
when you feel pain, the nerves carry the message to your brain and tell the brain what you are doing is causing pain.

if your brain is dead, your body cannot feel pain.

and fyi if you are brain dead, that is it, you are dead. people can be kept 'alive' using a life support machine but that is simply breathing for the person.

if an animal is brain dead, it has died, and dead things cannot feel pain.

honestly some people on here......:rolleyes:

Hence the swift incursion into the main arteries of the animal in the neck when peforming halal slaughter.

Animal is brain dead, Can't feel pain. The movements after the incursion are caused by random pulses from the nerves, This is what leads some people to falsely believe the animal is int
fact alive or the process is "inhumane"

Here is a good video to see the process being done on a chicken in Jakarta.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JlFfz0Dxh8E&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJlFfz0Dxh8E

It is graphic btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by The Mad Dog
Why would you be offended at someone being vegetarian. There's far more logic and weight in the argument animals shouldn't be killed at all than that animals shouldn't be killed in a certain way. Also I'd assume their is nothing in your religion saying you can't serve vegetarian food so you'd just be being as intolerant as a person refusing to serve you halal meat if you went for dinner in their house.

When did I say I will be offended for him being vegetarian?

I said the OP being non-veg coming to my house and refusing to eat meat at the last moment and expecting me to whip up something vegetarian. Who the hell am I to be offended if someone is vegetarian or not? If I am told in ADVANCE that they would prefer a veg meal, obviously I'll cook that. However, expecting me to cook it knowing that they are non-veg, is pretty unfair.

So before you call someone an 'intolerant' person, I would suggest you read clearly the context of someone's answer.

Also, please keep your beliefs of killing animals in a certain way to yourself. I am not forcing my beliefs on you so you have no right to tell me what's right or wrong.

Sorry if I was harsh but seriously? Try reading closely next time.

Also, I have 0 expectations of someone serving me halal meat at their house. They will obviously know I am a Muslim and thus if they cannot serve me halal meat, I won't eat. So your comparison is wrong. Oh and I live in an Islamic country so that's not an issue for me and it never will be!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Error4001
Let's go back to basics:

If a throat is cut in the Halal/Kosher way, what exactly are they cutting and what is the result?

Ok, from what I understand, Halal meat in prepared (as in the acutal cutting) by 1 motion across the throat while alive and unstunned. The aim is to cut the Cartriod arteries and Jugular veins.

However, other things such as tissue, muscle and nerves (ie the list in my pervious post) are also cut meaning the brain's pain receptors are taking alot here. This always comes if the Cartroid artery is not cut properly, as observered in many cases by the FAWC, as blood is still flowing to the brain. However, even if the the cut is clean, it's still puts alot of unnessacery presure upon the animal.

This means that the animal is left to suffer for up to two minutes while it bleeds slowly until it loses sensibilty.

I am by no means a biologist but read this from a 2009 RSPCA report given to my by another poster and this is what I understand from it.
Original post by KalSA
When did I say I will be offended for him being vegetarian?

I said the OP being non-veg coming to my house and refusing to eat meat at the last moment and expecting me to whip up something vegetarian. Who the hell am I to be offended if someone is vegetarian or not? If I am told in ADVANCE that they would prefer a veg meal, obviously I'll cook that. However, expecting me to cook it knowing that they are non-veg, is pretty unfair.

So before you call someone an 'intolerant' person, I would suggest you read clearly the context of someone's answer.

Also, please keep your beliefs of killing animals in a certain way to yourself. I am not forcing my beliefs on you so you have no right to tell me what's right or wrong.

Sorry if I was harsh but seriously? Try reading closely next time.

Also, I have 0 expectations of someone serving me halal meat at their house. They will obviously know I am a Muslim and thus if they cannot serve me halal meat, I won't eat. So your comparison is wrong. Oh and I live in an Islamic country so that's not an issue for me and it never will be!

Shame you didn't even read mine properly.
Original post by blue n white army
would you not be offended if i put a plate of non-halaal food in front of you knowing you don't agree with it? if so you cant complain if someone gets offended when you put halaal food in front of them

errrm no i wouldnt be offended...and nor would i start ranting about how inhumane it is
Original post by Jacob :)
Are you suggesting restaurants in the UK should not serve other people wine because its offensive to you?

no i didnt say that
Reply 126
Original post by Guru Jason
Ok, from what I understand, Halal meat in prepared (as in the acutal cutting) by 1 motion across the throat while alive and unstunned. The aim is to cut the Cartriod arteries and Jugular veins.

It's not the "aim". It's a requirement.

However, other things such as tissue, muscle and nerves (ie the list in my pervious post) are also cut meaning the brain's pain receptors are taking alot here. This always comes if the Cartroid artery is not cut properly, as observered in many cases by the FAWC, as blood is still flowing to the brain. However, even if the the cut is clean, it's still puts alot of unnessacery presure upon the animal.

But as I have pointed out above, the requirement is to cut the veins and the arteries and the best tool to achieve that is through a very sharp knife.

This means that the animal is left to suffer for up to two minutes while it bleeds slowly until it loses sensibilty.

This is dependent upon the requirements of Halal not being met.

I am by no means a biologist but read this from a 2009 RSPCA report given to my by another poster and this is what I understand from it.

And what do you say about dunking 90 million poultry through electrically charged water before killing them. Is that "humane"?
Reply 127
Shame you didn't even read mine properly.

I read yours properly. Why are we even arguing? You gave your opinion, I gave mine! Lets move on? :smile:
Original post by M1011
Question for you. Why would the OP be overreacting any more so that you refusing to handle non-halal meat? From an impartial perspective, there's far more logic in his reasoning than yours?

As I mentioned in a later post there is a time and a place for these things. You can't go to a Muslim person's house and be surprised there is halal meat and expect them to go out of their way to get you non-halal meat, just like if I went to a non-Muslim person's house and they served me non-halal meat, it would be wrong of me to kick up a fuss and say it's against my religion to eat that meat. I should be tactful and politely reuse to eat the meat and eat something they have at home that is permissible for me to eat, like a cheese sandwich.

In people's own homes and in public they can choose to express themselves by not eating halal/kosher meat if they disagree with it in principle, just as I in my own home and in public will not eat non-halal meat and will be selective with the places I choose to eat at.
(edited 11 years ago)
No I wouldn't mind.

But I wouldn't cook non-halal.

I'd probably cook vegetarian for everyone so you don't feel left out lol
Original post by KalSA
I read yours properly. Why are we even arguing? You gave your opinion, I gave mine! Lets move on? :smile:

You obviously just misunderstood anyway. I have no problem with Halal meat, I have a problem with people who won't eat halal meat on animal rights grounds. I was having ago at the op not halal meat :smile: Having re-read my post it probably didn't come across clear. Anyway as you say let's move on.
Reply 131
You obviously just misunderstood anyway. I have no problem with Halal meat, I have a problem with people who won't eat halal meat on animal rights grounds. I was having ago at the op not halal meat :smile: Having re-read my post it probably didn't come across clear. Anyway as you say let's move on.

Oh... okay sorry for misunderstanding, I guess. Sorry I was rude :frown: I don't like being rude haha.

Are you a Muslim?
Original post by KalSA
Oh... okay sorry for misunderstanding, I guess. Sorry I was rude :frown: I don't like being rude haha.

Are you a Muslim?

No I'm not a muslim, I just have a passionate dislike of stupid logic. :lol:
Reply 133
No I'm not a muslim, I just have a passionate dislike of stupid logic. :lol:

Hehehehe :colone:
Original post by Jacob :)
If I came to your house for a meal and you served Halal meat which I refused to eat it would you be offended?

It would be on the grounds that the animal may not have been killed in the most humane way possible and I don't want to eat something killed in the name of a god I don't believe in and whose teachings I don't like.

So would you be offended and on future occasions would you be willing to cook me non halal meat? As some vegetarians will cook meat for their non vege friends?

Edit: Obviously, this is a question for Muslims.

Edit: Thanks for the advice on letting the chef know in advance. The only problem is how to know if someone is a Muslim. I know some people are very open about their faith but others are not. It might be seen as insensitive if I asked ever person of Arab/ SE Asian/ E African decent if they are a Muslim when they invite me over.

Actually these days in this country a lot of halal meat is actually stunned prior to death.

It's Kosher you wan't to look out for.
Original post by Error4001
1)It's not the "aim". It's a requirement.

2)But as I have pointed out above, the requirement is to cut the veins and the arteries and the best tool to achieve that is through a very sharp knife.

3)This is dependent upon the requirements of Halal not being met.

4)And what do you say about dunking 90 million poultry through electrically charged water before killing them. Is that "humane"?

1) Sorry, poor choice of wording. Still, I feel it's unnessacery pain to put the animal through.

2)Regardless of the knife, even a clean cut can leave animals suffering for 20-30 seconds untill blood stops flowing to the brain.

3)Not sure why this is relevant to a more humane slaughter debate. The simple choice, is to stun and then kill the animal with no pain or leave it to bleed till it becomes insensible.

4) Yes, I agree that 'dunking' is rather inhumane. This is why we breed our own chickens for both meat and eggs. My brother studied agriculture and college etc and my father grew up on a farm. (no longer live on a farm now but not really relevent)
Personally, as a Muslim I wouldn't be offended if you notified me beforehand that you don't want to eat halal meat, so that I can make something else, otherwise I would be pretty annoyed :smile:
Reply 137
Original post by Guru Jason
1) Sorry, poor choice of wording. Still, I feel it's unnessacery pain to put the animal through.

So you would rather stun them?

2)Regardless of the knife, even a clean cut can leave animals suffering for 20-30 seconds untill blood stops flowing to the brain.

But if the arteries and veins are cut, then please tell me how blood would be pumped from the heart to the brain if there is a massive gaping hole between the heart and brain (ie the throat)?

3)Not sure why this is relevant to a more humane slaughter debate. The simple choice, is to stun and then kill the animal with no pain or leave it to bleed till it becomes insensible.

And is stunning successful in every case?

4) Yes, I agree that 'dunking' is rather inhumane. This is why we breed our own chickens for both meat and eggs. My brother studied agriculture and college etc and my father grew up on a farm. (no longer live on a farm now but not really relevent)

I meant passing poultry through electrically charged water. Is that "humane"?
Reply 138
Original post by Enigma55
As I mentioned in a later post there is a time and a place for these things. You can't go to a Muslim person's house and be surprised there is halal meat and expect them to go out of their way to get you non-halal meat, just like if I went to a non-Muslim person's house and they served me non-halal meat, it would be wrong of me to kick up a fuss and say it's against my religion to eat that meat. I should be tactful and politely reuse to eat the meat and eat something they have at home that is permissible for me to eat, like a cheese sandwich.

In people's own homes and in public they can choose to express themselves by not eating halal/kosher meat if they disagree with it in principle, just as I in my own home and in public will not eat non-halal meat and will be selective with the places I choose to eat at.

I think you're getting rather confused about what you said. I shall quote the part I am questioning;

OP: "If I came to your house for a meal and you served Halal meat which I refused to eat it would you be offended?"

You: "Would I think you're overreacting? Yes"

Hence my question; "Why would the OP be overreacting any more so that you refusing to handle non-halal meat?" I'm not debating your right to choose what you eat in your own home, I just don't see how you can accuse the OP in this scenario of overreacting when his reasoning seems far sounder than your own?

For what it's worth, I'd happily eat either halal or non-halal, so long as it's yummy.
Halal slaughter isn't humane? And killing animals in the first place is?

I'm not a vegetarian, but sending Muslims on a faux-guilt trip and alleging it's to do with 'humane' animal slaughter is hilarious. It's another thinly veiled attack on Islam.

Look at mass meat and battery egg production, watch videos of non-halal animal slaughter, and tell me that's humane. ****ing hypocrites. If you so much as minutely cared for animal welfare, you really wouldn't consume meat.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending