The Student Room Group

How to simplify this further?

4y = 15ln (2) x - 15 ln(2) 2 + 17

At the back of the book , they have took out as a common factor the 15 ln(2) in order to simplify stuff, but then i thought that it couldnt be taken out since it doesnt appear in all three terms.

Thanks for all the help in advance! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 1
Original post by laurawoods

At the back of the book , they have took out as a common factor the 15 ln(2) in order to simplify stuff, but then i thought that it couldnt be taken out since it doesnt appear in all three terms.

Can you post the initial question?
Reply 2

Can you post the original question

As you say ln2 is not a common factor so perhaps the error was earlier in your work
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
Can you post the initial question?

hello there,
The initial question was

Find the equation of the tangent to the curve y= 2^x +2^-x at the point (2, 17/4).

thanku for all help in advance! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 4
What did they get as a result? I don't see how factorizing can "simplify" an equation in the first place.

A move from

4y=15ln2(x)15ln2(2)+174y = 15\ln 2 (x) - 15 \ln 2 (2) + 17

to

4y=15ln2(x2)+174y = 15\ln 2 (x - 2) + 17

Is perfectly valid...
Reply 5
Original post by aznkid66
What did they get as a result? I don't see how factorizing can "simplify" an equation in the first place.

A move from

4y=15ln2(x)15ln2(2)+174y = 15\ln 2 (x) - 15 \ln 2 (2) + 17

to

4y=15ln2(x2)+174y = 15\ln 2 (x - 2) + 17

Is perfectly valid...

Hello , when determining the nature of any stationary points , if the second derivative is equal to 0, we differentiate again, right? and then for it to be a point of inflection what must the third differential equal to? thanks
Reply 6
The third derivative must exist and not be 0, for this implies that there is a sign change at the second derivative.
Hello , when determining the nature of any stationary points , if the second derivative is equal to 0, we differentiate again, right? and then for it to be a point of inflection what must the third differential equal to? thanks

For a point of inflection, the third derivative must be non-zero.
Reply 8
The third derivative must exist and not be 0, for this implies that there is a sign change at the second derivative.

Where do you keep getting this "third derivative" thing from? It's got nothing to do with a point of inflexion.

If the 2nd derivative is 0 then you may or may not have a point of inflexion. If the 2nd derivative is -ve on one side of the point and +ve on the other, then that point is a "point of inflexion" (the curvature changes sign).

(The first derivative can be 0 at a point of inflexion, but it MUST NOT change sign at that point - if it does, then you have a max or min.)
Reply 9
Original post by Indeterminate
For a point of inflection, the third derivative must be non-zero.

Er, y=x^5, x^7, x^9 etc all have points of inflexion at x=0. The third derivative is irrelevant.
Reply 10

Hello there, thanks !

Pls can u help me with understading this:
why cant 4ln(2) - 2 be written as ln(2)^4 - 2 ?
when i type into calc they are giving different values..
:smile: thanks, laurawoods.
Reply 11
Make sure you are doing ln(2^4) and not [ln(2)]^4
Reply 12
Make sure you are doing ln(2^4) and not [ln(2)]^4

hello there, thanks ...i didnt know it had to be inside...so it is it the number inside raised to k , and not the whole thing being raised to k , right?

Reply 13
Yupyup, that is what the identity states :smile:

You can also get the identity from combining n*ln(x)=ln(x)+ln(x)+...+ln(x)=ln(x*x*...*x)=ln(x^n)

Quick Reply

Latest