The Student Room Group

Hopeful Med candidate- question about low predicted A2 grades

Hiya

I'm quite new to the site so I'm not sure if there's already been a thread for this!

My question:
I want to do Medicine at Uni and I'm currently doing AS. I was wondering what happens if my predicted grades for next year are low- will I still get offers from uni's? I understand that's there's conditional offers etc but will I get one if those if my predicted grades sent what they want?

Or will they give me the benefit of the doubt looking at the rest of my application and give me an offer as long as I get the 3A*s and A (for eg)

Sorry for the ramble-
I'm just a bit worried!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by badass_geek
Hiya

I'm quite new to the site so I'm not sure if there's already been a thread for this!

My question:
I want to do Medicine at Uni and I'm currently doing AS. I was wondering what happens if my predicted grades for next year are low- will I still get offers from uni's? I understand that's there's conditional offers etc but will I get one if those if my predicted grades sent what they want?

Or will they give me the benefit of the doubt looking at the rest of my application and give me an offer as long as I get the 3A*s and A (for eg)

Sorry for the ramble-
I'm just a bit worried!

Thanks!

If you are predicted less than AAA in the relevant subjects, then you will be rejected without interview. They are very strict with academic requirements.
Reply 2
Oh okay thanks!
I just got 2As and 2Bs in my Jan Mocks- I'm planning to retake/work my socks off to get 4As in June. Who predicts my grades for next year? Is it done using computer softwares or will my subject teachers be able to adjust it.
Reply 3
It is done by your tutors. Don't expect to get an offer though if you aren't predicted 3As or above. It's so so competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by Ryejd
It is done by your tutors. Don't expect to get an offer though if you aren't predicted 3As or above. It's so so competitive.

Ahh I see!
Yeah I'm trying to balance out all my extra curricular activities with my revision- all so I can stand out from others!

And how is it done?- just because I got 4As in the summer it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get predicted 3A*s next year will it 😔
I'd have to get 90% UMS this year or something right (or am
I wrong?)
Ahh I see!
Yeah I'm trying to balance out all my extra curricular activities with my revision- all so I can stand out from others!

And how is it done?- just because I got 4As in the summer it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get predicted 3A*s next year will it 😔
I'd have to get 90% UMS this year or something right (or am
I wrong?)

Your predicted grades are the responsibly of your teacher/school. There is no set formula to give a prediction. If you miss an A by a couple of UMS you can still be realistically predicted an A (obviously the admissions tutor can see your AS grade too, so if you got 3D's at AS you are unlikely to achieve 3A*s). As for the actual requirement for an A* prediction it varies from school to school. Usually 90% at AS is enough to get it, though some places will do it at the discretion of the teacher, ask you teachers what you should be getting in UMS this summer for A* predictions on your UCAS in September.
Reply 6
Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y
Your predicted grades are the responsibly of your teacher/school. There is no set formula to give a prediction. If you miss an A by a couple of UMS you can still be realistically predicted an A (obviously the admissions tutor can see your AS grade too, so if you got 3D's at AS you are unlikely to achieve 3A*s). As for the actual requirement for an A* prediction it varies from school to school. Usually 90% at AS is enough to get it, though some places will do it at the discretion of the teacher, ask you teachers what you should be getting in UMS this summer for A* predictions on your UCAS in September.

Hi,
Thanks for your advice- I shall do thatt!
Reply 7
Hi,
Thanks for your advice- I shall do thatt!

You get those A* predictions by persuading your teachers you can achieve those results. At my school they're quite lenient with it
Reply 8
You need AAA predictions at the lowest. A* comes from a 90% average across all A2 units, AS are irrelevant, you just need to have 80% across AS and A2 to make sure you have the A overall, including 90% at A2. For example, Maths you need a 90% average across C3 and C4, your elective(stats, decisions etc) doesn't matter. If you don't have AAA at the least expect straight rejections. If you get 90% average in a subject at AS your teachers will likely predict you an A* for A2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending